• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

front speaker placement options

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
ok i want to install front 5 1/4" speakers in the front of my truck. i would like to see what some of you guys have come up with. i DO NOT WANT TO CUT INTO MY DOORS. here's what i came up with has anyone else tried this setup and had it work out for them. it is made for a jeep and i was wondering if this would work out. if it can't be mounted to the floor what about to the underside of the dash in the same location. this same company also makes a pretty nice center console that could hold a small amp and a 8" subwoofer. all for jeeps but might work in our trucks as well.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Photos/Default.aspx?i=663CENTPOD&g=284050

here's the website for the center console
http://www.selectincrements.com/intrapod.html

OP
OP
M

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
thats what im using mounted it to the floor, works great for me.
what did you use the pod or the console. or both. how is the quality? i am also looking at a blaupunkt subwoofer/amplifier combo that will fit under the passanger seat. it is nothing that will pound out major bass like a pair of 12" subs but just something to bring in some more bass to the system. here's what i was looking at. it good reviews also. do you have pics of your setup so i can get a idea of how it looks.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=51000&i=023THB200A&tp=114

Louie

Bronco Guru
Works great for me too! I think it sounds good but I may not be as particular as the real audiophiles. I've got the amp under the rear seat. Under the PS would be fine too. I also have 2 6x9s in the back.

Attachments

• 73 interior.JPG
    73 interior.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 362
OP
OP
M

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
my only problem that i can see is that my trucks transfer case shifter is different than yours. mine has a square box that incorporates the shift indicator and it might run into the pod. i guess i will just order it and see how it fits.

craigcrawford1

I have the pod with a J shift transfer case and it works great for me, Not sure about the T shift case though.

Louie

Bronco Guru
How does the pod sit since we have flat floors and the pod looks curved on the bottom.

Carpet helps. You don't really notice it with carpet. Otherwise, you can snug it up a little further back & have it facing more directly out.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Can you take a measurement...from where the floor/firewall angle into each other toward the front? I am not sure I have enough room with the NV4500 shifter being so far forward. Are those 5.25" in yours Louie? It says they can fit 6.5" as well...

I already have some Infiniti marine 6.5"s and I made a unit during the "build up" phase, but the unit doesnt fit with the heater in....DDOOOHH! So, I need to fab up something else, but am losing motivation. Thanks for any additional info.

Louie

Bronco Guru
OK...I hope this measurement helps. I have the pod backed up all the way against the heater unit. The vent just blows out behind the pod. From the front of the pod to the break in the tunnel looks like around 10"...but hard to tell exactly with carpet.

I think 6.5s would fit...but the grills might not. Mine are 5.25s. You might just have to give it a try & see what happens :D

Attachments

• centrapod.JPG
    centrapod.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 117
  • sm speaker 2.JPG
    sm speaker 2.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 149

TM Toys

Loc.
Barboursville , VA
wow, I worked at C-field for 15 yrs, cool seeing you'll still buying stuff from them now..

If a 5.25 fits a 6.5 should too , just allow for larger magnet, maybe deeper basket ,etc.. Cool idea thou .. :cool:

good luck !

1970 Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles, Calif.
no problems for me with the heater, heat gets around just fine.
the pod is curved but i just turned it over so the flat side was toward the floor
i put the kenwood with the dual subs under the passenger seat for bass
and 6x9's in the rear quarter panels
sounds fine for me =)

OP
OP
M

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
ok here's the next problem i am having. the stereo does not fit in the dash. it hits the defroster hose in the back. i really hate like hell to make a spacer to space the stereo but i am thinking of a tuffy center console to house the stereo too. tuffy also makes a pocket for the exsiting stereo hole in the dash. i aslo like the fact it can be locked up so when you look in you see nothing.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Here is another option for you. Just got these worked out tonight, tell me what you think.

speaker pods are made by VDP and really for a Heep. Took a small amount of fab work and some large thinking on my part not to drill the rollbar but we got it done. :)

Attachments

• VDP speakers 001 (640 x 480).jpg
    VDP speakers 001 (640 x 480).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 84
  • VDP speakers 002 (640 x 480).jpg
    VDP speakers 002 (640 x 480).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 75
  • VDP speakers 003 (640 x 480).jpg
    VDP speakers 003 (640 x 480).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 80

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Are the speakers somehow clamped to the roll bar or did you end up drilling the bar anyway?