• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel gauge off on new tank

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Some good ideas. Because the sender is very adjustable I looked into moving the beam up or down and bending the float wire to correct readings. I can get full and 1/2 or full and empty or empty and 1/2 but not all 3 with the same setting. The problem is the stock sender has resistor wire wrapped around a flat piece of plastic and a contact that wipes over that wire. The wire is wrapped much closer on one end that it is on the other. A new gauge is not cheap, My friend poncho-villa made a volt meter to replace the amp meter, if I remember right his cost was around $22 if he ordered 5000. The $22 is O.K. but the 5K is a lift time supply. Anyway it seems to me that the best fix would be to get a correct sender, if that doesn't work have a new face made for the gauge that is scaled to read correctly.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
whats the chance of having your sender supplier wrap it like the stock sender?

backpain

Bronco Guru
. . . Since none of it is installed yet, I guess I'll be going with the 240/33 Autometer sender and Ultra-Lite gauge. Just need to adapt the sender to BC's square plate mount.

Anyone need a new linear 73-10 sender? Still in a tank in a box?

Now, even more decisions (see Autometer link). Not sure if the the programed ranges are for linear or non-linear output senders. Does allow custom calibration, that likely assumes linear (unconfirmed).

Choices, choices. It's about 2.5x cost of the "regular" non programmable, but maybe it will work with the BC 73/10 aftermarket sender. http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1136.pdf

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Now, even more decisions (see Autometer link). Not sure if the the programed ranges are for linear or non-linear output senders. Does allow custom calibration, that likely assumes linear (unconfirmed).

Choices, choices. It's about 2.5x cost of the "regular" non programmable, but maybe it will work with the BC 73/10 aftermarket sender. http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1136.pdf
I'll call them to be sure but it looks like it will. The down side is you have to buy a gauge.

yakelys69

I got this from an Autometer rep the other day.

You are in luck. In the Sport Comp II series (the 3600 model numbers), we offer a model number 3610, which is a full sweep programmable fuel level.

While the 3610 has a standard optional 73-10 Ford setting, you will ignore that (as it is programmed with the non-linear factory ford version). You will instead use the Custom Calibration version which only takes two reference points. Empty & Full. It then assumes that everything in between is linear, which will then match the non-factory, non-linear sender.

The thing is that its about $130.00 and I think many people like the original gauge. The 3616 240-33 ohms is about $60.00 then another $25.00 for a matching sender.

What would be a reasonable price for an inline solution?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Backpain, did you make a decision yet? I'm curious because I was thinking of going an Autometer 240-33 sender and matched gauge route. Keep me posted of what you run into.
The cheapest solution seems to be making an overlay for the factory gauge with corrected E, 1/2, and F marks (or even an addendum to the tank instructions for remarking the factory gauge marks) . It would not have the range of the 240-33 sender and gauge though and personally I like to know when I get at 1/4 or less in my tank (E, 1/2, F doesn't help much). The Autometer looks like it will be in my future. Chuck, maybe you could look into putting the 240-33 sender in the next batch of tanks. Greater range would be a define bonus.

backpain

Bronco Guru
Backpain, did you make a decision yet? . . . .

Right now, I'm leaning toward programmable Autometer gauge and BC's 73/10 sender already included with the tank.

Either way I have to buy a new gauge (programmable $110) or new 240/33 gauge and sender ($44+30 = $74), since I already have the tank and am replacing all my gauges. I already have A-meter's 73/10 gauge, but will have to try to return it.

My stock sender is not reliable enough to re-use with the 73/10 A-meter gauge. If I have problems with the linear 73/10 sender and the programmable gauge, I can replace w/A-meter's 240/33 sender and use the program already built into the gauge - or frankly almost any sender that will fit in the tank and use preprogrammed setting or custom calibrate.

I also like the full sweep style of the programmable gauge - it's just costing me an extra $36 plus a shipping/hassle to improve the visibility (was already considering a few full sweep gauges, but never found the full sweep fuel level prior to now - bad eyes and my gauge will be mounted down low near trans tunnel)

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Full sweep programmable does looks nice, but I'm thinking trying to get a short sweep in the stock cluster. Nick at Nick's Trix did a short sweep in his new Atlanta build. The Autometer 240-33 sender fit in the tank with the in tank pump is going to be the million dollar question now.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Chuck, maybe you could look into putting the 240-33 sender in the next batch of tanks. Greater range would be a define bonus.
I could sell the 240-33 sender as an option but right now near full and near empty is correct, with the 240-33 sender the stock gauge will not be close anytime. I can also offer the programable gauge but many people want to keep the stock gauges. I still think the best fix for everyone is to get the right sender. Second would be the new gauge face.

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I skipped the aero mass buy a couple of months ago and waited on your tank that was on back order because I like dealing with Chuck and BC Bronco I buy almost all my parts from bc broncos . I see in this tread where someone said his aero tank sender worked correctly will it fit- work in your tank? I was going to put your tank in last week but I am waiting for the outcome of this sender problem.I see that you are working on it are there any updates yet? Thanks Keith

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looked like the same one when I saw it too. I can check a couple I know to see if they're the same unit, if we need to.

Paul

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
post #38 said his aero tank worked quite well the sending unit was correct so if the tank is about the same size and shape as bc broncos tank the aero sending unit must be wound differently

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
My guess is that his tank reads full when it is full and empty when it is empty the same as mine. And when it reads 1/2 tank it is wrong the same as mine. I have yet to find a sender that is correct for a EB. I have a NWMP, nordskug, JC Whitney and two others I don't know where they came from and all are linear.
I am still looking, if anyone finds anything please let me know.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You ever tried the vertical float type? Sort of like a sliding float on a pole. I think I saw them in either a VDO or Hella catalog, but they were all the rage (to talk about) about twenty five years ago or so. Still see them for sale occasionally, but have never known anyone who's used one.
May just be too expensive, or too exotic, or too limited in distribution, or too limited in information. But it'd be cool to try one.

Paul

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Does someone have a picture of the sending unit in question? I have a pretty good idea as to how we can make a non-linear sending unit...

Eric

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Chuck are you saying that your sender is correct or about correct from 0 to 6 gal. or E to 1/4 tank and from about 17 to 23 gal. 3/4 to full and just off at 1/2 tank? If I understand you and this is correct I will go ahead and put my tank in Thanks Keith