• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Injection

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
After not being able to climb the hills at OBCR, I decided I need to install fuel injection. I do not want a body lift or a hood scoop. What setup will fit with out doing the body lift or scoop? Some one told me a 86-96 mustang would fit. Are there others?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The only reason Frank's truck has a body lift is because the AOD is so long that it pushes the t-case back out of the tunnel under the lower part of the floor. So if you use any shorter trans, any 5.0L w/CV or Mustang intake will fit sans lift.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Explorer should fit nicely once you relocate the PS reservoir. Plus you get the benefit of the a better serp drive.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Explorer should fit nicely once you relocate the PS reservoir. Plus you get the benefit of the a better serp drive.

That is clear as mud ....;D

More correctly , the EFI manifolds should fit. Mine did , barely , others may not get so lucky. I'd bet that the boost given by just having newer body bushings (no lift) would give it plenty of clearance.
If you want to use the front dress off of the Explorer also , then the PS reservior might have to be moved.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
The 91-93 Tbird/Cougar and 94-95 Mustang have the lowest intakes giving the most clearance of all donors.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
which ever one you decide to go with i would do the explorer serpentine front, more fan to radiator clearance

Killer Frogs

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
Efi

I went with at 93 t-bird and a 1inch lift. The hood clearance was fine, but the problem with that intake is it is too close to the throttle cable. There is not much room between the intake and firewall where the throttle cable comes through. I ended up going with a mustang intake. Maybe others have made the T-bird/Cougar engine work without a significant lift, but I couldn't. :-[

Good luck!;D

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Man, people are confusing today...
If you just want to bolt fuel injection onto your existing engine, then I recommend a 87-91 crown victoria, or mercury marquis ( that is assuming you have a basically stock engine.) Take the wiring harness, upper and lower intake manifolds and the ECU and dizzy. You don't need to do anything about your belt system.

If your engine is has a big cam or replacement heads, then go with a 88-91 mustang setup. This should be a Mass air system with larger injectors.

Either of those systems will fit under the hood without a body lift as long as your body bushings are in decent shape.

If you are swapping engines, my first choice is the explorer, but it still requires converting it back to the 91 mustang EFI cause the exploders have a "locked" ECU and its a lotta work to get it working right.
Tom

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
stay away from truck intakes. way too tall and looks gaudy. no disrespect to anyone using a truck efi setup. use from explorers, mustangs, cougars, crown vics ect...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Social Tom ..so your saying that the crown Vic or the Marquis are not too tall. My running Buddies has been trying to find a set up to go on his 66 it has a 83 302 Lincoln motor in it ..He had a 2 inch chassis lift and a about 2 inch body ..So you say there should be no reason one of these should not work on his Bronco ..We haven't been able to find a Mustang set up around here ...He still wants all the stuff off one ride...And he does have an AOD TRANS .

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Social Tom ..so your saying that the crown Vic or the Marquis are not too tall. My running Buddies has been trying to find a set up to go on his 66 it has a 83 302 Lincoln motor in it ..He had a 2 inch chassis lift and a about 2 inch body ..So you say there should be no reason one of these should not work on his Bronco ..We haven't been able to find a Mustang set up around here ...He still wants all the stuff off one ride...And he does have an AOD TRANS .

Yep those should work fine. I put a crown vic setup in my nephews EB, with no body lift at all. The intake is on the Driver's side, other than that its the same as the mustang. It uses smaller injectors, but with that motor it should be fine.
Tom

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Hey Bill, dont forget to check out the mass buy going on right now on the FMS EFI harness....might save you a little $.

Glad to see/hear that you got yours on the road. We will work it out one of these years...

OP
OP
D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Hey Bill, dont forget to check out the mass buy going on right now on the FMS EFI harness....might save you a little $.

Glad to see/hear that you got yours on the road. We will work it out one of these years...

Thanks John for the heads up. I need all the help I can get on this upgrade. I know nothing about fuel injection.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FYI on the explorer PS res, just take a piece of 1" angle and drill two holes to on one side to bolt to the bracket, then drill/tap two holes on the other side an inch lower to bolt the res to, 90 degrees from where it was. Works like a charm.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
ford has put millions and millions into their efi. no way holley can beat it for a daily style driving. the ford efi is really pretty simple once you get into it.