• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Leak help needed

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I've owned my 73 Bronco now for 5 weeks. What a mess. I can't wait to get all the little stuff worked out. Today's new item is a leak on the primary fuel tank. When I filled up the Bronco today, I "topped-off" the tank with an extra squeeze of gas. Then went to fill the aux tank and then done. When I went to put the cap on the tank, I notice that that extra squeeze was now spilling out underneath the truck. When I looked underneath, it appeard that the gas was flowing from on top of the tank, which I assumed was a leak in the filler hose.

I've already replaced a leak in the auxilary filler hose as it did the same thing the first time I filled it up.

So....experts, does it sound like I've got the same kind of issue going on with the main tank or is there another possible culprit? It also appears that this is a new replacement tank.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Previous owners of some these old rigs were known to drill,punch or what ever holes it the tanks especially the aux. from the top side due to drilling holes in the floor pans.

Just saying

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Besides the fill and vent there are probably 1 or 2 small nipples for the vapor system. See if the lines are still hooked up and in good shape.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Which tank is under the driver seat? That is the one that leaked. I've filled the Bronco up 3 times now and this is the first time I noticed it. I've not added anything to the floor board other than installing new seats, which used the exisitng bolt holes.

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Which tank is under the driver seat? That is the one that leaked. I've filled the Bronco up 3 times now and this is the first time I noticed it. I've not added anything to the floor board other than installing new seats, which used the exisitng bolt holes.
Aux tank is under driver seat, main tank is in rear.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
So it appears that the vent line that's attached to the tank is leaking. It's not the rubber hose, but appears to be the actual fitting on the tank is leaking.

Is this a seal-welded joint or a torqued fitting?

From underneath the truck, this is the highest connection on the aux tank. Appears to be a 3/8" nipple on the connection that point up. It's connected to a rubber hose which I'm assuming goes to the vapor canister.

Thoughts ?

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have a 23 gal tank? I think a lot of folks leave the vent port ’open’

tpatton75

Contributor
Some 73 had a vent and a return line they are plastic weld and brittle . I do not know if replacement tanks have the extra port

tpatton75

Contributor
This is from my 73

Attachments

• 6BAE3673-30C1-490F-A147-467977667DEE.jpeg
    6BAE3673-30C1-490F-A147-467977667DEE.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Mine looks similar, but that top nipple has a 90 degree turn in it. Mine also looks relatively new. The tank only has about 12 gallons of capacity.

In that pic of yours, is that nipple screwed in or welded shut? Looks like it's a screw in.

tpatton75

Contributor
Threads with a 12” tube

Attachments

• 08B538AC-024E-4C9B-B0A1-F1E7960B341E.jpeg
    08B538AC-024E-4C9B-B0A1-F1E7960B341E.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 8