• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Leak Under Carb

dubulup

Loc.
Lafayette
I'm new to Bronco's, V8's, and offroad machines in general.

After driving I'd get a puddle of fuel on the cast intake.

I pulled the carb and rebuilt it and replaced the fuel filter and rubber line off the hard line, and now after driving it's[carb] dry as a bone...but I still get a small puddle on the intake (the indention south west of the X on the intake...see pic). I've helped the situation some but fuel is still escaping.

it appears there is another gasket below the surface the carb bolts too??? This is an extremely stock 1974 Ranger model.

Here is a picture. Also what is the actuator off to the left? Does this piece come off? How?
IMG_0004.jpg

TIA - I'm still learning proper searching techniques and order of the archieves

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Aint seen one them long time, smog junk as I remember been way too long since i pulled one off and chunked it!

That thing you talkin bout pretty much goes on like a carb spacer

Manifold, gasket, it, gasket, carb

I used to know all bout that thing....err err gettin old!

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
sounds like the accelerator pump is leaking if it is puddling in the valley off to the left of the X.

OP
OP
dubulup

dubulup

Loc.
Lafayette
sounds like the accelerator pump is leaking if it is puddling in the valley off to the left of the X.
rebuilt/replaced all that last night...and seems to be dry now.

Its seems the leak is coming from below the carb...I wasn't sure if the "spacer" actually came off...still don't see the bolts for it in the picture??? But I plan to pull everything off again tonight and cut my own gasket, unless NAPA or someone carries one.

OP
OP
dubulup

dubulup

Loc.
Lafayette

just cause I changed the parts doesn't mean its not leaking...:eek:

damn, so I was under the hood and actually saw a drip from the damn thing...so how to get it to stop? More torque on the T-Tiny bolts?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The rod that goes into the side of the carb is leaking from it's bore. The carb may be getting worn out. With all the movement of the throttle over the years it will wear out. The gas seeps out the side of the carb when it is running. It is a very small amount of fuel but it will make your intake look like yours.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
If you didn't remove the spacer, remove it and put a fresh gasket under there. Also, I couldn't tell from your post, but if you're saying that it's definitely leaking from a fresh accelerator pump, the cover could be warped from over torquing. Lay the cover on a known flat surface and check it. Replace the cover if necessary and use a fresh accelerator pump as it's gasket may be oddly compressed.