• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2nd fuel pump weep hole leak in less than 100 miles

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

I'll test again before replacing the pump but I'm 98% positive because I wedged a piece of cardboard between the pump and oil sending unit before giving it gas (which is when it sprays)

Took her on a quick 2 mile warm up and then came back, shut the engine off and wedged a piece of cardboard between the oil sending unit and fuel pump. I started her back up and gave her gas by pushing the throttle on the carb. The round spot in the pic is right where the fuel pump weep hole is. It's def coming from the weep hole on the fuel pump...I just hope its a faulty pump that's the issue and not something else. I have two Airtex pumps coming in today (one is a backup so I dont have to pay for shipping again if/when I need it :)) so I'm hopeful that solves the issue!

Attachments

• IMG_7272.jpg
    IMG_7272.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Got the Airtex fuel pump installed and drove her about 30 miles this weekend without any issue. Oil pressure is at about 40 on a cold start and creeps up to 55-60ish when running. What is the standard for oil pressure? When is it too high? I'm trying to track if I have too much pressure or if it was a faulty Carter fuel pump...

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I don't think high oil pressure would cause that leak. There is no direct pressure, only oil that is slung around to lube it. High crankcase pressure could cause that oil to blow past the seal. Your pressure sounds about the same as mine, assuming the stock gauge is accurate.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

I don't think high oil pressure would cause that leak. There is no direct pressure, only oil that is slung around to lube it. High crankcase pressure could cause that oil to blow past the seal. Your pressure sounds about the same as mine, assuming the stock gauge is accurate.

Thanks, Slowleak - good call out! Any idea what would cause too much crankcase pressure? I also have a bit of an oil leak where the oil pan meets the bottom of the timing chain cover. I imagine that would relieve pressure...or maybe its leaking there because of pressure as well? I recently removed the oil pan, restored it/cleaned it and reinstalled it with a Fel-pro single piece gasket but in another thread I have heard that getting that spot to seal can be a bit problematic. I planned to drop the pan again and add a bit of RTV in the corners.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Double check all your PCV plumbing and make it is connected at the right locations. I know you replaced the valve. On my last Bronco the plumbing had been moved around. When I corrected it, my rear main seal drip stopped. I have seen some that would blow the dipstick outÂ…. You could pull the stick out a little and crank it to check. Or, disconnect the hose that connects to the air cleaner. You should have a vacuum there.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Double check all your PCV plumbing and make it is connected at the right locations. I know you replaced the valve. On my last Bronco the plumbing had been moved around. When I corrected it, my rear main seal drip stopped. I have seen some that would blow the dipstick outÂ…. You could pull the stick out a little and crank it to check. Or, disconnect the hose that connects to the air cleaner. You should have a vacuum there.

Thanks, Slowleak! I'll check all the lines again to see if there is anything that stands out.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking to confirm the part numbers for the Airtex fuel pumps for both a Bronco 302 and a 351W (casting #D9AE-6015-ED). Getting conflicting info from the parts places on the inter web.

Thanks in advance.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Looking to confirm the part numbers for the Airtex fuel pumps for both a Bronco 302 and a 351W (casting #D9AE-6015-ED). Getting conflicting info from the parts places on the inter web.

Thanks in advance.

Mary- Did you check the Airtex site? They have a parts finder which shows a #6962 for my ‘77.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
might want too check the aluminum
oil pressure stand off for the oil pressure switch. they are known to crack and leak.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
might want too check the aluminum
oil pressure stand off for the oil pressure switch. they are known to crack and leak.
The test cardboard being sprayed on from the fuel pump side rules out the oil pressure sender side of things

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mary- Did you check the Airtex site? They have a parts finder which shows a #6962 for my ‘77.

Hey Mark,
I did check the Airtex site. According to them for a 302, the 75-77’s use the #6962, and 69-74’s use #6588. Found it odd they do not list (or they don’t offer) an option for a fuel pump on a 289 for 68 and earlier - only 6 cyl🤔.

I did call their tech line and they said any pump for a 302 will bolt up on a 351W; but there can be different PSI, flow ratings and fitting sizes between them. Going to check for the date stamp on the block and pull the pump that’s on the 351W. Hopefully there will be a part number on it that will help - but guess that’s dependent on what the PO installed a decade or more ago.

Bronco Graveyard shows the #6962 for all flavors of V8.

Any and all expertise/input is welcome, and clinem03 - apologies for hijacking your thread.

Attachments

• 4BF24A00-A918-4FB1-833A-323C3BEB1AB3.png
    4BF24A00-A918-4FB1-833A-323C3BEB1AB3.png
    409 KB · Views: 9