• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel pressure gauge in dash?

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
I'm installing a Fitech kit and thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on fuel pressure from the cab. Anyone doing this? And do you think it's worth it? I'm having trouble finding much that's digital with a pressure sender 0-100psi.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Most avoid it simply because running pressurized fuel into the cab to a mechanical gauge is a bad idea.

ISSPRO makes a full sweep electronic fuel pressure gauge. Keeps the fuel lines out of the cab.

It really isn't needed. Fuel pressure is a test item more than anything that needs to be monitered.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Looked at it, decided it wasn't worth the trouble or expense.
Plumb one directly into the fuel line feeding the EFI and call it good.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Autometer also has those remote diaphragms that let you keep the fluid under the hood and just air pressure to move the gauges. Lots of people have used them over the last 30 years or so, but I don't know of any installs personally so can't tell you how well they've worked.
But even though I kind of like the idea of easy monitoring and have thought of doing it myself, like Broncobowsher said, it's not that big a deal to do in the cab. Yeah, it saves you the steps of popping the hood to see why your engine just died or is running like crap, but is it worth it? Probably not.

For monitoring I like the idea of a permanently mounted gauge on the fuel rail or near the throttle body.

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I've installed a couple of those Autometer isolators in customer drag cars. Going lean on the top end because of fuel pressure drop usually does really bad things. Though how the driver can monitor that while going over to well over 100 mph is beyond me.....

But, if you want a fuel pressure gauge on the human side of the firewall that is the ONLY way to do it. Nothing else is safe. As I recall those I installed 15+ years ago used some sort of fluid; maybe coolant?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Mount it under the hood. Monitoring fuel pressure isn't necessary or required all the time like watching oil pressure and water temp.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
... As I recall those I installed 15+ years ago used some sort of fluid; maybe coolant?

There ya go. I"m sure you're right. I always thought air would not conduct the message accurately, but forgot about using a not-quite-so-dangerous fluid.

Paul

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I installed an electronic oil pressure gauge in my old SuperDuty to monitor fuel pressure. It uses a sending unit under the hood and just has a wire that runs into the cab. It's just a super cheap digital gauge, maybe $25.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I was having trouble with the Mustang computer shutting the fuel relay off so I installed an electric gauge and actually like it. Not that I need to but I watch it just like the other gauges.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not trying to hijack the thread, but has anyone put a permanent gauge in-line on a stainless steel flexible fuel line? Just wondering what the fittings are required to do so.

OP
OP
RADO

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
Thanks guys! Sounds like it might not be worth the effort to go dash fuel pressure. I'll just install a gauge on the fuel inlet side of the fitech for start-up & troubleshooting.

One of my concerns for fuel pressure is that I want to use a Bosch 69100 fuel pump but am unsure if it can maintain the 58PSI required by the Fitech.

OP
OP
RADO

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
Not trying to hijack the thread, but has anyone put a permanent gauge in-line on a stainless steel flexible fuel line? Just wondering what the fittings are required to do so.

This is what I'm planning to use on the -6 AN Fitech inlet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPILA...70-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-4

rus-670353_cp_ml.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's mine. Fuel has never made it up the wires and inside yet.

Attachments

• 20170328_142237.jpg
    20170328_142237.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 50

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, those Dakota digital setups are pretty slick and have a lot of available features that most don't use.
Some are ready to go, but others will cost extra for a separate driver module or sensor. But in the scheme of things, it's not always that much extra to get a very handy feature.

And now that they have the new style cluster, the choice of which one to get is even harder!

Paul