• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas line close to Exhaust

BRONCOBERT

My Bronco has headers and dual exhaust, the fuel line that was used was the pre-bent and where it bends around the body-mount on the frame it comes very close to the exhaust. I am thinking this could cause some problems, so I wrapped the exhaust and put heat shield on the gas line, but wondering should I have the gas line rerouted or will my band-aid work.
dto_garage.php

Bucky66

I have the same going on. What you did was my thoughts. My exhaust even melted the plastic around my ebrake cable. I'm interested what others have done. Good thread

OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

I had the same problem with the E-brake as well. I put a heat shield sheath on it and and zip-tied it to the frame so it no longer sits on the Muffler, also thinking about putting a shield on the muffler as well.
I am having a hard time posting pictures again but you can see some in my Garage.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It's better to reroute the fuel line. Shields and insulation will reduce radiant heating but ambient heat around the exhaust will eventually heat the fuel lines anyway. Mine caused vapor lock at high elevations. I ended up replacing the fuel lines with new stainless lines routed on the outside of the frame rails. It was also a good opportunity to install an electric selector valve back between the two fuel tanks.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
$12 Contributors to help support the forum allows posting of pics. reroute fuel line and any other tender items away from any heat source otherwise your Bronco might end up like burned toast. much easier than trying to reroute exhaust or shield muffler.

OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

Thanks so far on the advice. Debugging the Bronco after a full resto and only have test miles on it, but noticed a strong smell of gas on a test drive when I got home the carb was overflowing with gas coming out the top, is that what vapor lock causes?

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
When my Bronco was running with a carbed motor and dual exhuast it vapor locked all the time.

I tried some of the band aids (phenolic spacer under carb, re-routing and heat sleeving fuel lines in the engine bay, heat sleeving fuel line next to exhaust, etc) and things improved marginally. I still had problems when wheeling at altitude.

When I swapped to EFI I was planning to put new dual exhuast so I routed the fuel lines on top of the frame (I had the body off so it was easy to do). My pals talked me into two-into-one exhaust which is routed along the passenger side of the frame. Problem 100% solved.

Some guys have had success using dual exhaust and carb by converting to an electric fuel pump instead of mechanical.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Thanks so far on the advice. Debugging the Bronco after a full resto and only have test miles on it, but noticed a strong smell of gas on a test drive when I got home the carb was overflowing with gas coming out the top, is that what vapor lock causes?

vapor lock is when the fuel starts to boil and vaporize, usually happens in the carb. when it vaporizes, the engine has nothing to run on

to my knowledge, it doesn't result in excessive fuel in the carb.........that sounds like a different problem

OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

vapor lock is when the fuel starts to boil and vaporize, usually happens in the carb. when it vaporizes, the engine has nothing to run on

to my knowledge, it doesn't result in excessive fuel in the carb.........that sounds like a different problem

OK Thanks, I have a new Edelbrock carb and it over filled, gas coming out the top. I might have found the problem but not sure, I have the 23 Gallon steel tank with a vented cap, what I did not realize is that the cap vents air in but not out and the tank itself was not vented to release the pressure. Since I vented the tank the carb has not bubbled over.

nrramse

My exhaust even melted the plastic around my ebrake cable. I'm interested what others have done. Good thread

I ended up installing extra long ebrake cables and suspending them from the frame with throttle return springs. Its not pretty, but the springs keep the cables from touching the exhaust but allows them some movement when the suspension is articulating

OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

I ended up installing extra long ebrake cables and suspending them from the frame with throttle return springs. Its not pretty, but the springs keep the cables from touching the exhaust but allows them some movement when the suspension is articulating

That should not look bad.
I have decided to reroute the gas line, its just to close one spot in perticular. I am hoping that I can put it on top of the frame, is that possible with the body on?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
That should not look bad.
I have decided to reroute the gas line, its just to close one spot in perticular. I am hoping that I can put it on top of the frame, is that possible with the body on?

I put mine on the top outside edge. I used insulated clamps and selftapping screws. Uber easy. Instead of stainless hard line I used Earls (Holley) stainless braid flex line. I still put a section of heater hose over it where it gets close to the headers. It went well. No vapor lock. It's been 17 years....but not alot of miles though...maybe 7,000 miles.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I'm going a different route and going to a 2 into 1 exhaust system. It cleans up that side of the frame where my electric valve will be located. I presently have glasspack duals straight out the back,so I'm trying to kill a lot of birds with one stone,sound,fumes and clearance....

OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

I want to keep mine true dual since I have headers and my motor is making a lot of HP, but ya the drivers side is tight for an exhaust pipe especially with the James Duff Monster Lift.

OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

This is what I have done so far, it's only a band aid till I get my new fuel line installed. I am going with Russell ProClassic II fuel line, routed on the other side of the frame hopefully top corner if possible.
SAM_0813_zps658c83cc.jpg

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
This is what I have done so far, it's only a band aid till I get my new fuel line installed. I am going with Russell ProClassic II fuel line, routed on the other side of the frame hopefully top corner if possible.
SAM_0813_zps658c83cc.jpg

That pic is very enticing.

Where can we see more ?

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
All my lines in that spot go up and over the cross member, is that your brake line or is it your fuel line?

Attachments

• fuel and brake line done 008.jpg
    fuel and brake line done 008.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

Its gas line only covered in heat shield, mine was the factory style prebent kit and does not work well with dual exhaust. I have had several people look at it even a mechanic buddy who said leave it like that and don't worry but I don't like it and will change it as soon as I get my new line.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
That is close!!!You said it was a pre bent kit.The steel lines on my 74 is a pre bent kit from BC bronco and the lines were bent to go above the cross member.I would not like it that close either.