• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas Tank

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
I am in the market for a new main gas tank for my 69 sport. Don't need anything wild just stock. I need the whole whole kit and kaboodle I would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks

Attachments

• 69bronco1.jpg
    69bronco1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 28

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
So what's the question? Several vendors sell the stock tank and sending unit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jhill52

I bought a plastic tank from JBG. Bolted right in. Don't have to worry about alcohol fuels.

TheLimeRanger

I just replaced both my main and my aux. tank. I bought everything from Toms, they all fit perfect. while your changing the tank, make sure all of your fuel lines are still good and not dried/cracked. I ended up running new fuel line from the front to back and replaced my fuel selector valve as well, along with both sending units and skid plates. and I also started out by saying id replace just the main tank lol. Put the small quarter inch vent lines on the main tank first along with the vent, and THEN install it. much easier that way.

chuckyb

Contributor
This is a pretty straightforward job but is potentially dangerous due to the fuel. Think through how you will drain your existing tank if needed and have containers ready.

Start fresh with a new fill hose, sending unit and lines. If you get the plastic tank make sure you order one of the thicker circular tank / sending unit gaskets. Once you get everything installed, don’t go fill her up. Pour in a bit of gas slowly, go underneath and make sure there is no leaking from the fill hose or entry into the tank. If all is good then pour in a gallon or two. Make sure no leaks in the sending unit area, check very closely. If no leaks, start it up outside and let it run for a few minutes. Shut it off and check again. If you need to adjust the seal don’t hammer on the ring, you don’t want to make a spark down there. Keep adding fuel slowly and checking.

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
This is a pretty straightforward job but is potentially dangerous due to the fuel. Think through how you will drain your existing tank if needed and have containers ready.

Start fresh with a new fill hose, sending unit and lines. If you get the plastic tank make sure you order one of the thicker circular tank / sending unit gaskets. Once you get everything installed, don’t go fill her up. Pour in a bit of gas slowly, go underneath and make sure there is no leaking from the fill hose or entry into the tank. If all is good then pour in a gallon or two. Make sure no leaks in the sending unit area, check very closely. If no leaks, start it up outside and let it run for a few minutes. Shut it off and check again. If you need to adjust the seal don’t hammer on the ring, you don’t want to make a spark down there. Keep adding fuel slowly and checking.

Thanks for the tips!