• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge Suggestion/ Fuel Level Reading

drgil

Loc.
Glendale,AZ
I am considering getting a new gauge cluster. I am looking at the digital one on Tom's ($449).

Anyone have any alternative suggestions? I want it to look sharp and I am open to changing the configuration. And as always cheaper wouldn't be a bad way to go.

2nd- I have a 23 gallon fuel tank on my Bronco. My fuel gauge is always off by about 1/4. It reads 3/4 when I am topped off and when I hit empty I only have to put in 14 gallons. Is it possible the old sending unit is in there? (may seem like a dumb question but I am a novice.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I haven't seen a 23 gal tank that uses the stock sender. What brand is it?

OP
OP
drgil

drgil

Loc.
Glendale,AZ
I'm not sure, it came with the Bronco when I purchased it. Is there a way I can tell if it's the sender or the gauge?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
When full the sender should have 10 ohms of resistance. When empty it should have 73 ohms. Overall it looks like you have less than ideal current flowing through the sender wire. Could be a bad ground connection at the sender or a bad wire going back to the gauge.

Get a 10 ohm resistor. Connect one side of it to a good ground and the other side to the orange sender wire. It should read full with the ign sw on. If it does the problem is between the sender and ground. If it doesn't the problem is between the sender wire and gauge.