• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear drive for speedometer in dana 20 loose

snoddas

Hi,
I have some speedometer problems. It works fine for about 5-10 minuts then it slowly showing less speed.

As the titel state, is the gear drive on the output axel in the Dana 20 suppose to be loose on the axel? I can reach with my finger and move the gear drive over/back and forth on the axel?

Could this be the reason my speedometer not working after some driving.

And the gear on the wire is new. The speedometer wire looks fine, same with the speedometer gauge.

Thanks,
Anders

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

Not easy to see or take a photo but did a try.

Attachments

• B08542A1-9D9E-4F53-8CA7-0731CDAC208D.jpg
    B08542A1-9D9E-4F53-8CA7-0731CDAC208D.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 25

triracer67

Contributor
I posted something about this two weeks ago. After finding out that gear (in picture) would free spin, I assumed my t-case was broken. Well, I put everything back together and speedo works great.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Metal or plastic DRIVE gear?

Check the end play on your rear output. If it is more than 0.003-0.005 you probably need to remove a shim. It seems counter intuitive but removing a shim helps compress the gear between the bearings.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
If your odometer still works then the problem is in the speedo head. the speedo works on a magnet and spring system and can become out of wack, especially if you have taken it out of the dash or had it apart to clean it. it then need calibrated. Kevin at classychassie works wonders with them

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

I posted something about this two weeks ago. After finding out that gear (in picture) would free spin, I assumed my t-case was broken. Well, I put everything back together and speedo works great.

Interesting! Did you disassembly and just put it together without doing anything and it dident freespin any longer. Its the drive gear press fit on the axel or should it be pressed between bearings, gears or such.

If your odometer still works then the problem is in the speedo head. the speedo works on a magnet and spring system and can become out of wack, especially if you have taken it out of the dash or had it apart to clean it. it then need calibrated. Kevin at classychassie works wonders with them

Thanks for input. Will check that also but I assume its the plastic gear drive thats cause this problem.

Thanks all/Anders

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

Metal or plastic DRIVE gear?

Check the end play on your rear output. If it is more than 0.003-0.005 you probably need to remove a shim. It seems counter intuitive but removing a shim helps compress the gear between the bearings.

Looks like the plastic one.

Could I disassamble just the rear output axle with yoke from the T-case and still have the T-case installed in the car.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Looks like the plastic one.

Could I disassamble just the rear output axle with yoke from the T-case and still have the T-case installed in the car.

Yes, you can remove the rear output without removing the transfer case.