• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

gear oil observation and Clear T-case cover

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
K, folks 2 things:

1. put a few miles on my new 9" chunk now, and changed the oil. as I scooped the last of it out of the axle housing, I notice it gettting slightly silvery along with a few fleck of metal. is this OK for a brand new 3rd member?

2. Finally getting around to bolting on the clear t-case access cover. Did you all just put a big phat bead of RTV or use a gasket???

thanks!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i just used silicone, it doesn't leak at all. just make sure both surfaces are clean, and don't over tighten it.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
supermottl said:
K, folks 2 things:

1. put a few miles on my new 9" chunk now, and changed the oil. as I scooped the last of it out of the axle housing, I notice it gettting slightly silvery along with a few fleck of metal. is this OK for a brand new 3rd member?

2. Finally getting around to bolting on the clear t-case access cover. Did you all just put a big phat bead of RTV or use a gasket???

thanks!

I don't think flecks of metal and the silvery oil is good. Could that be left over from the previous 3rd member?

On another note, Are you going to Paragon this year?

Chris

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
It's perfectly normal to see this as long as it isn't chunks. Brand new gears need to wear a pattern in which occurs when they are first installed. That is why you are supposed to change the gear oil after a short time.

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Yeah, Mike a complete offroad built the chunk, so I'm not worried about it... just wanted to make sure. there are only a new tousand miles on it, so no biggie... I'll clean it up and stick it back on...
cheers, and thanks...

Chris... highly doubt it... I moved to Melbourne, FL.. so I doubt I'll be ablt to make it back up there... I'll miss it, had so much fun.... :-[ :-[

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
supermottl said:
K, folks 2 things:

thanks!
Thanks for using a Gear Gawker!!! It does my heart good to see these being used.
BTW, clear transfer case covers are ONLY made for the EB. As to a gasket, You can use one but really not needed. You should of got a installation sheet with your cover!! If not, contact me at walker@agt.net and I will send you one electronically. torque it to about 15 INCH POUNDS!!. watch the silicone when it starts squashing and laying flat stop turning
TOFIC

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Yeah, TOFIC, I'm stoked to finally be able to put it on.. just breaks my heart to see 2 qts of fairly new synthetic gear oil go into the recycle... LOL... I have your instructions, and I'll be carefull.. thanks again!

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
supermottl said:
Yeah, TOFIC, I'm stoked to finally be able to put it on.. just breaks my heart to see 2 qts of fairly new synthetic gear oil go into the recycle... LOL... I have your instructions, and I'll be carefull.. thanks again!
why not pour the gear oil in a clean container, then recycle it back in the tranfer case--

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i'm thinking about putting royal purple in mine. i think it'd be cool to look up there and see purple gear oil through the glass! :D

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
73stallion said:
i'm thinking about putting royal purple in mine. i think it'd be cool to look up there and see purple gear oil through the glass! :D

You can always go ford blue too ;D ;D

Attachments

• Gears:oil.jpg
    Gears:oil.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Gears:oil2.jpg
    Gears:oil2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 166
OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Hey TOFIC! Just an FYI, I had to file about 1/16" off the inner "lip" of the cover so it would fit into the opening. Otherwise only one end would be flush. Have you heard of this before Prolly just the casting of my case ehh?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
73stallion said:
okay, where'd you get that stuff?

Its Amsoil series 2000 racing 75w-90. Its hard to find cause it has been discontinued and replaced by the Amsoil Severe Gear line which comes in the standard yellow gear oil color.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
supermottl said:
Hey TOFIC! Just an FYI, I had to file about 1/16" off the inner "lip" of the cover so it would fit into the opening. Otherwise only one end would be flush. Have you heard of this before Prolly just the casting of my case ehh?
your probably right
Ford was very kind and made two different D20's they differ very little but they differ. If yours acts up let me know i will send you another.
TOFIC

IPwizard

Loc.
NE Ohio
Will the royal purple 75/90 work in the diffs, tranny, and t-case? I also saw at pep boys they had royal purple syncromaster (I believe) oil thay say it's formulated for manual trannys. Anyone with experience with this oil?

Thanks

Simpson

Loc.
Montana
where does the cover come from? Am I out of the loop here? Has anyone abused one yet. I would like to put on my tuff truck/rock crawler but not if its too thin. I'm getting a clear float bowl cover built for my preditor carb so I can always see when I have fuel. I broke a tooth off the idler gear last year during a race that clear cover would have been great.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are worried about metal shavings (part of the original post), try a magnetic drain plug. Pull it out every pnce in a while and wipe the fuzz off or it. After a few cleanings the iron shavings will be filtered out by the magnet and you will be ready for a good long life.

You can use the drain plug as the fill plug and it will still catch most of the trash. Also keeps you from needing to drain the oil to clean it. I did that to my 9" and was surprised at the amount of fuzz I got for the first few cleanings. Then the fuzz count went down.

Last edited:

stlkikn

Simpson,
The Gear Gawker covers are manufactured by TOFIC. Available on your side of the border from either Chuck at BC Broncos or from The old fart himself....
I haven't busted mine up yet....

Attachments

• nv 3550 gear gawker.jpg
    nv 3550 gear gawker.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 111