• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting my bronco to peel out...

OP
OP
G

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
My apologies. I was just trying to stay on topic. With the Mods I have should I be able to spin the tires? I am just wondering if it is a tuning/tuner(me) issue. Or if I do need more torque.

Again 1973 Block
.060 over
Edelbrock performer cam, intake, 1406 carb, 1-5/8" headers to 3" collector to 2 chamber flowmasters. Blaster 2 coil to pertronix. Stock distributor.

Thanks again

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Slap on a set of bald tires?
The Bronco was built for traction,dont get all indignant when we come up with responces to a "some what" unusual question. Chill. rejet your carb for your elevation,lighten your load,regear?,bigger motor,smaller tires(stock tires was something like 215's) nitrous.......There are numerous little things to do if the burning of rubber is important to you. Its true though that a 73 302 isnt really a monster.

tejayandtina

What type of tires? I'd expect less agressive treads and a little over inflation would help.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I still think low 2wd is the easiest way. Twin stick baby

Bucky

Loc.
New Bern, NC
Or you could do this:
Park on a nice patch of rough asphalt.
Put it in neutral.
Rev your engine to max RPM. As high as it will go.
put in gear, wait for the reaction. It should peel out.
You may break things, which will help remove the urge to peel out again.
Glad to help!!

That's what Rental Cars are for!!!!

OP
OP
G

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
I didnt even think of a line lock, or even trying to power brake it.

Ah yes the nuetral drop in a rental....good times...

In HS I had a friend that would pour tranny fluid on the ground and smoke his tires. Lots of smoke...lots of noise...cops didnt appreciate it and neither did the neighbors..but it was a sight. :p

Does anyone know if the roller rockers will add much torque if any?

Thanks for everyones advice.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Rockers will do nothing to help your need. I like the line lock idea.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Being also 60 now I laugh at myself my Bronco will cherp the tires ...Now mine is a NP435 and pos rear I drive out my drive way about 200 yards. and it is gravel ...But just the slightest throttle and it spins the tires ...I think man if I'd had this in High school I'd had a blast ...But then I think what's high school got to do with it I'm still having a blast ...Neighbor ask where'd them black marks at my drive way come from ???? WAh...Must have been the mail woman...
....10 year old grand daughter was hereabout 2 weeks ago I was teaching how to drive the Bronco for about 2 hours ...we have a concrete crossing at one of the creeks on my place ...I TOLD her to stop ..put it in 4x4 low ...We're going to climb out of the creek ....YES WE DID ...THERE ARE STILL 2 BLACK MARKS ON THAT CONCRETE crossing ...I laughed my butt off she was afraid she was in trouble at 1st....Not with this Gran Pa ......Lets do it again .........

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Any increase in power will help, roller rockers should add some. 1.72 will work nice if the valves dont hit the pistons, otherwise go with 1.62's.

I would suggest that first you take it to someone who knows how to tune carbs, not just some guy who thinks he can. There are alot of aspects to carbs that 90% of mechanics dont know anything about.

It could be as you stated that your motor is not tuned properly or it could be something is not working properly. Start with checking your fuel pressure and you could even do a leakdown test and compression test to make sure your motor is in good health, just because it was rebuilt doesnt mean that it is up to specs.

Burning rubber is not exactly the best way to compare the power output of a motor but I would think that with the size of your tires it should have no problem. But the fact you get good traction out of the rearend is a good thing, assuming it is not because the motor is weak.

You could also deck the heads to get a higher compression ratio or get a different set of heads.

But first things first, check all aspects of the motor and its supporting components. Fuel pressure, compression check, leakdown check, carb tune........etc.

Kenny

Do you have an open differential or some type of traction device? A lot easier to roast one tire than two.

What's your timing set at? I seem to get a little more off the line power when I bump up my initial timing to around 12 degree BTC. Just don't do too much.....you don't want any pinging.

ztoolman44

Loc.
Farmington, Utah
I still think low 2wd is the easiest way. Twin stick baby

Agreed. My first bronco was a 70 with a stout 351 and 35's. In 2 low, tires at max psi and no weight in the back it could spin the tires just fine. Pressure down, put a couple friends in the back and it would pull the front tires up with little to no spin.

We got real good at replacing u joints though.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
ok, so heres the plan for squealin tires on the cheap.

you cut a hole in front of r wheel well, insert tube/funnel
pour bleach through tube/funnel so it exits in front of
rear tire.give er the gas. watch as small children scream for their mama,
and run for their lives as clouds of acrid smoke envelopes the neighborhood.

Broncmobile

Loc.
Central Oregon
Do you realize how many guys have gone out and tried to roast 'em since you put this thread up? Mine won't unless I am making a turn. I have not tried power braking yet. In high school we would put clorox down and then power brake. It made a really cool white cloud that I am sure was toxic!

I am just curious if any of those guys who did get them to break loose has gotten a ticket for reckless or exhibition of speed.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
This thread is bringing back some memories. I remember coming off the line in my '75 Firebird Formula with about a 3 grand rev, dumping the clutch and hearing a deafening BANG. Turns out the gear cluster let loose in the Saginaw 4 spd and knocked a football shaped hole about the size of a softball out of the right side of the cast iron tranny. Must've had some pretty strong U-joints in there. Never even barked the tires. ;D

Have fun peeling out! :cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Mine won't roast them off the line, but it will nearly pull the front's off the ground.
Power braking (with the detroit) it will go through first, shift to second. Off the brake it will start to hook up and downshift into first, spin through first and when it goes back into second it will finally hookup.

Not that I have ever done that%)

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
It can be done and pull a wheelstand also.... But you need the motor....

[youtube]a1hAR0npyYs[/youtube]