• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting my bronco to peel out...

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
Yes Im aware its not a real issue..But something I have wanted my bronco to do for a while...on its own..no rain..no dirt..etc..

I am wondering what are some thoughts on whether my carb needs some more tuning or if I need some more HP/Torque.

The bronco will chirp them into 2nd and almost into 3rd when I get on it. When I put the bronco in reverse and blip the throttle, I break traction rather easiliy. So I can peel out in reverse.....not as impressive as the forward peel out :) In the rain the bronco brakes traction rather easily.

Bronco is a 1973.

Motor is a 302 bored over 60.
-Edelbrock Cam, intake, lifters, Carb (1406)
- Headers to 2 chamber flowmaster mufflers
-msd blaster 2 coil
-gears on the bronco are 4.11's.
-Tranny is a C-4 recently rebuilt.

When I floor it now from a dead stop I cant say that I get a bog..as I have experienced before, however its more of a slow increase in power.

Could it be the torque converter?

Thanks
-Greg
1973 Bronco.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome what a first post. your right peeling out is not really a issue. What tire size are you running and which cam performer?
While a bog points to the carb. Stomping on the gas pedal from a dead stop in a heavy vehicle with a small engine almost always causes that problem. There are also suspension and weight transfer factors to consider. forward burnouts are tougher the suspension loads up due to weight transfer inreverse the weight doesnt transfer and the suspension doesnt load up the same.
Yes torque converters do play a part but they are more dependent on camshaft and overall gearing a higher stall may put you in the powerband that will burn the tires but they also build more heat and cause mileage to go down.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Twin stick it. put it in 2wd low and have a blast. Or you could do this.

Attachments

• P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 179

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Take off the hard top, remove the spare, take out the back seat, have a nearly empty gas tank, remove as much weight as possible over the rear tires.

My nicely built and very strong running 351 won't roast them off the line. It just hooks up and goes. I also have large sticky 33" tires and a LOT of weight over the rear end.

We could go scientific here. Traction is the coeficient of friction and the force holding the 2 surfaces together. You are looking at forcing a seperation of that traction point. You don't want to cheat with lowering the coeficient of friction with water, dirt, etc. This leaves 2 options, increase power or decrease the weight holding the 2 surfaces together..

Back in high school I had to drive a Camero. '78 POS. I could tell you how much gas was in the tank by how much traction it had. no chirp, full tank. Little chirp, half tank. Good squak, almost out. Add a passenger, never even a chirp no matter what.

Just a different way to approach the issue.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Or you could do this.

You should listen to this guy. This man is a genius. ;D ;D

Welcome to the board. Nice to see more and more NM members showing up.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Or you could do this:
Park on a nice patch of rough asphalt.
Put it in neutral.
Rev your engine to max RPM. As high as it will go.
put in gear, wait for the reaction. It should peel out.
You may break things, which will help remove the urge to peel out again.
Glad to help!!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm running pretty much the same combination minus the headers and have no problem crab walking off the line when I want to. Could it be the elevation? I'm at close to sea level and you're close to 5K.

OP
OP
G

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
The twin stick is an interesting idea. I already run around without a spare. The hard top I could take off... I think the weight transfer is a big issue. Starting to sound like I need more power.

I am starting to think I modded the wrong year block. (1973) My understanding is that year specifically was 8.0:1 when other years were higher. Which I did not know at the time..

Maybe roller rockers and underdrive pulleys? Elevation could be an issue. I am at 5200ft.

I should mention it is not my intention to do damage to my vehicle so a neutral drop is not real helpful in that aspect.

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Lol i can burn 1st and bark second and keep up with a LT-1 Vette.... i dunno whats wrong with yours, Im runnin a stock 302 with a holley 670 TA and a weiand Stealth intake, and the power comes on instantly :p

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I'm running pretty much the same combination minus the headers and have no problem crab walking off the line when I want to. Could it be the elevation? I'm at close to sea level and you're close to 5K.

Elevation makes a tremendous difference. Look at this comparison:

At Sea Level
60 degrees
29 in Hg
38 degrees dewpoint
100% horsepower

At 5000 ft elev
60 degrees
29 in Hg
38 degrees dewpoint
80.5% horsepower

So, you need a turbo.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't bother with the underdrive pulleys. they will just lead to poor cooling and overheating.

Spinning tires off the line, you need torque. I have driven sub 200 HP naturally asperated diesel duellys that took half a mile to get up to highway speed, but it would turn a tire off the line without a problem.

So skip HP, look at torque.

Any shock type driving pratices will destroy driveline parts. You will hope all you break is a U-joint if you do it that way. If you can't spin the tires by simply mashing the skinny pedal, don't be doing it.

tejayandtina

...Back in high school I had to drive a Camero. '78 POS.

Me too...fun days!

Or you could do this:
Park on a nice patch of rough asphalt.
Put it in neutral.
Rev your engine to max RPM. As high as it will go.
put in gear, wait for the reaction. It should peel out.
You may break things, which will help remove the urge to peel out again.
Glad to help!!
did that with aforementioned Camaro....again fun days!
It got so bad once I hit a pothole and broke a ball joint and bent the pass side door so it would never open again. Had to get in Hazzard style!!!

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco - #1 off-road vehicle ever built.

American Muscle car - #1 tire shredding, smoky burnout, front tires in the air, grocery getter ever built.

My two cents are you bought the wrong vehicle for what you are intending, unless you convert into a 1/4 mile monster like some others have.

OP
OP
G

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
I did not buy the wrong this vehicle. It has been in my family since it was new. My portion of the ownership has been the past 15 years. I grew up riding in this bronco. Literally it has my blood, sweat and tears(5 years old hit my head on the rollbar). :)

I also have owned a sports car..but Ive always liked my bronco better.

What are some ways that I can improve my torque? Will roller rockers add any torque? Short of a different block/different heads, what are some other options? Will a MSD 6AL or new distributor give me anything significant?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My two cents are you bought the wrong vehicle for what you are intending, unless you convert into a 1/4 mile monster like some others have.

Easy there Chief!
We aren't all going to use our Broncos for the same thing. Some are trail rigs, rock buggys, mud boggers, 4X4 pullers, sand dragsters, show cars, lowered 2Xs, & on and on. Looks to me that all Broncos are welcome here. Mine is a hunting & fishing rig that pulls my small camp trailer and I just love the fact that it will probably outrun my Z-28 up to 80MPH!

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I believe I will avoid this thread, including engine build advice. too dry for me...