• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting Started With Lift

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
My WH 2 1/2" lift came in yesterday and I should get started on it today or tomorrow. I did a search and found a lot of interesting tips and tricks, but didn't find any specific posts on how to do this install from start to finish. Does this exist? If it hasn't already been done, I intend to do a tech article or assemble a set of pictures as I do this to help out the next guy. It looks like a pretty easy remove and install of old parts, but it's still intimidating. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
I'll be installing the same lift in about a month. I'd love to see a pictorial and step by step of the install. The rear should be pretty straight forward (famous last words, huh?), but I'm sure there's lots of little tricks for the front.

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
Two tips I can give you. First start soaking everything with PB Blaster a couple days before you start removing the old stuff. Second, the front axle must be completely detached from the vehicle to be able to move it around enough to reinstall the radius arms. I tried to shortcut that part and it just caused a lot of aggravation.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
A good impact wrench, a couple of floor jacks, and at least 2 tall jack stands. Mine was all original suspension parts, after 35 years some of it didn't want to come loose. You might also need a sawzall and grinder.

olbronclover

Loc.
Brighton, CO
Two tips I can give you. First start soaking everything with PB Blaster a couple days before you start removing the old stuff. Second, the front axle must be completely detached from the vehicle to be able to move it around enough to reinstall the radius arms. I tried to shortcut that part and it just caused a lot of aggravation.

I just got done doing this build. And I second this advise;)

olbronclover

Loc.
Brighton, CO
A good impact wrench, a couple of floor jacks, and at least 2 tall jack stands. Mine was all original suspension parts, after 35 years some of it didn't want to come loose. You might also need a sawzall and grinder.

Also second this advise. I used everything mentioned here!
I will add one more thing undo the brake lines from frame to axle housing first and replace them with longer lines. the extra clearance is needed!

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
It is not that bad, just be very careful. Having a friend help will be valuable if not essencial. That front axel weighs much more than I ever expected. My rear springs were actually harder to deal with than the front. The other thing I used was a couple of ratchet straps.

skifast

Loc.
Sandhills, NC
Just be careful with the old bushings! The application of heat as an open flame can make for a very exciting time! :eek:
Trust Me!

Second the PB Blaster soaking in advance.

Tim

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I have new 11 leaf springs. Why would I need to press the old bushings out? Is there something from the old leafs I need to use. Maybe I missed something.

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
You need to replace the shackle bushings while you are there unless they are good.They have a outer metal sheath that welds itself to the shackle and even a press cant remove them as they are pencil thin edged.The easy way is once the inner is pressed or burnt out put is to put the shackle in a vice and use a sawsall or hacksaw to cut the metal ring left right by the weld line then use a chisel to seperate the outer bushing from the shackle.Then use the press to install new rubber ones with the outer ring or simply slip the poly bushings in place and dont forget the solid spacer.

Last edited:

olbronclover

Loc.
Brighton, CO
You need to replace the shackle bushings while you are there unless they are good.They have a outer metal sheath that welds itself to the shackle and even a press cant remove them as they are pencil thin edged.The easy way is once the inner is pressed or burnt out put the shackle in a vice and use a sawsall or hacksaw to cut the metal ring left right by the weld line then use a chisel to seperate the outer bushing from the shackle.then use the press to install new rubber ones with the outer ring or simply slip the poly bushings in place.

My local machine shop did press them out good guy and good shop!

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I guess it would have helped if I had received the instructions with the lift kit. I have new shackle bushings, but I didn't quite understand that I needed to remove the shackles during this install. I guess I'll understand more when I dive into this. Thanks!

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
I pressed out 6 this week and 3 came out of the leaf pack whole and none came out of the shackles.Just trying to help.