• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Glove box VIN title mismatch

jpc1970

Hi All
A few years ago I bought a glove box with a out of state title from a member here. The title is signed on the back by the owner. Well long story short I started the process of transferring the title to California and discovered the vin printed on the title is off by 1 letter. The glove box VIN is correct. So I started to get concerned and ran a check on the VIN from the glove box which came up as registered in Arizona. Now I’m not sure if I got scammed or if the VIN search might be old? It does list a status of current. I used the VINdatadotcom site. Is it possible the record that came up is incorrect or out of date? Any ideas on how or if I could move forward?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
So you bought a title and glovebox without getting the frame or even the VIN section of the frame? There's a reason there's all kinds of threads on this board about the illegalities of doing this...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You are looking at a Felony. Jail time.
You didn't buy a VIN, that is stamped on the frame rail. You bought a glove box door that has a non-offical copy of the VIN number on it. That is the warranty tag used for when the dealer needed to do warranty work. Nothing offical there.

What you have is a title, not properly transfered, and nothing else. In short, you have nothing. Trying to transfer it to another vehicle is illegal. Very much so. VIN tampering is a federal crime. And that is what you are attempting to do.

What to do now. Go to the top of the passenger frame rail and copy down the VIN stamped in it. Then you get into state specific rules. You need to apply for a title for that VIN. And while at it you can go to Marti and get a reproduction glove box tag that matches the chassis VIN, but I would wait until you get the title and proper ownership taken care of first. Not being California I don't know the specifics, I think you can use a 3rd party DMV? Maybe go through the highway patrol? Someone with California experience will chime in and help with that part.

Expect it to be a lot of paperwork. A pain in general. But there are proper ways to do this without being a criminal. And shortcut ways where you are a criminal. And the shortcut ways may get you by for now, but it will come back to haunt you later. When the papertrail comes back to you swapping VINs. Could be something as simple as a bad traffic stop, an insurance claim. Or selling it to someone else who runs into mixed VIN issues and the go back to you. Just do it right.

OP
OP
J

jpc1970

Also I do have the frame but the vin is not readable at all. Surface corrosion has removed it

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also I do have the frame but the vin is not readable at all. Surface corrosion has removed it
It may look like it's eroded but go over it with steel wool until you get the frame down past the paint. The number should stand out. And there can be 2 different places the VIN is stamped on the frame. One by the starter, the other towards the back by a frame mount.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Or on top of the frame under the door area is another popular spot

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Can't the CHiP's run the vin an see whom it's registered to and where?

What state was the title you "bought" issued in?

Tim

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No it hasn't. the way they are stamped imprints a change in the surface grain very deep in to the metal. It can take a lot of patience to "draw it out" but its there.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Lots of place to look that frame over for a stamped VIN. Some hard to access with the body on. Blue tape is vin location. Arrow is another view of the vin. Cleaned areas are vin locations.

Marti Auto for repop tags. https://www.martiauto.com/tags.cfm

IMO....so when you bought the Bronco you should of located the frame vin/vins, confirmed it matched the paper title vin. And then compared it to the glove box "warranty tag". And then you should also check the dvrs side B pillar Safety Certification "white " sticker, for a vin match also. ALL FOUR should match. Unless you bought a untitled parts pile.

I would just to TALK to the state/town DMV folks and ask them questions and find out what are the regulations you need to follow. I would not go in there full disclosure of your situation. Just ask questions and find out what you need to do.

As far as messed up or different vins, imagine this. Get it insured with one vin, be driving, get in a wreck, your fault or theirs. Insurance adjuster (yours or theirs) goes digging and bam wrong or mis matched actual vin and BAM you are not covered by your insurance for that accident.

Good luck.

Attachments

• bronco vin 1.jpg
    bronco vin 1.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 66
  • bronco vin 0.jpg
    bronco vin 0.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 60
  • bronco vin 8.jpeg
    bronco vin 8.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 52
  • bronco vin 7.jpeg
    bronco vin 7.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 59
  • bronco vin 6.jpg
    bronco vin 6.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 61
  • bronco vin 5.jpg
    bronco vin 5.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 64
  • bronco vin 3.jpg
    bronco vin 3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 54
  • bronco vin 2.jpg
    bronco vin 2.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 66

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not all years have the white sticker on the B-pillar.
'66 (maybe '67?) have the glovebox tag on the driver's kick panel.

So there are a few variations between years.

OP
OP
J

jpc1970

Thanks everyone for this fantastic information. It’s very helpful and it has helped me a lot. I’m sure it can help others as well!

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Not all years have the white sticker on the B-pillar. '66 (maybe '67?) have the glovebox tag on the driver's kick panel. So there are a few variations between years.
Thanks, yes I forget that all the time. I am a 71 & 73 owner. The 73 does not have the B pillar (to put a sticker on) and the glove box door is not mounted yet. At least the #'s all match between the frame vin, the glove box door tag and the paper title.

Attachments

• B 1.JPG
    B 1.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 25
  • B 3.JPG
    B 3.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 20
  • creek cross.jpg
    creek cross.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_3498.JPG
    100_3498.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_1910.JPG
    100_1910.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 22

hummerdan

Don’t mean to hijack but has any ever seen a bronco with two different VIN #s?

Both VINs are stamped in the correct location, one above the other. Bronco is registered and the original data tag and registration matches one of the VINs

Broncobowsher

Total hack

Both VINs are stamped in the correct location, one above the other. Bronco is registered and the original data tag and registration matches one of the VINs
Just one location or all locations. If just one, the VIN stamping guy was a little hung over that Monday morning and had to correct it. If all of them, then they both need to be run as it could be very suspect.

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
If you can find a vin on your frame you can do a vin inspection, most of them are done by local law enforcement or in some states you can go to an independent mvd. Then you can purchase a bond and apply for a bonded title. If you can find someone in your state who has gone through the process it really helps.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA

What are the differences in VINs?

For example:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 4 _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 8 _ _ _