• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Going Point-less - 74 Bronco

xtreme732908

I've spent my last minute working on my stock points distributor. Just yesterday I purchased a complete Remanufactured distributor from Napa, only to get home, get it installed, get the engine timed and running correctly, and the Points just broke - the contactor disassembled from the Spring Loaded mechanism.

I'm going Pointless and would like some opinions on which setup to use and how easy and/or difficult the conversion is. I'm willing to ante up the money for the MSD - but need some direction to make sure I get one that people are happy with.

Any feedback would be great.

Sporto

I had points back in the day, and then I ran a Mallory Unilite for 20 years with no problems. It gave out a few years ago, and I tried the Procomp HEI for Ford. That lasted about 20 miles and died on me in the driveway. At the suggestion of some of the people on here, I intalled a Duraspark 2 ignition setup with a new distributor, wires, module and harness all for about 200 dollars. I had to pull the harness from a wreck (any Ford from that era, not just a Bronco), and I bought the rest at Advanced Auto.

It was a great upgrade, and the parts are cheap and easy to find if you have a problem. Not to mention there are some real gurus on here that are very helpful and know exactly what you need to get it going. It is a very straightforward and simple upgrade, especially if you already know how to swap a distributor. Ford got it right with that ignition, and unless you're running a high performance engine with a need for some of the computerized solutions, I would recommend the Duraspark route as the way to go.

Rich

Rickb1b

OK I just did the same thing you are looking at. I considered all the after market options MSD etc. but didn't see the return for the value spent. Then I looked at all the single wire setups DUI, GM HEI etc. I finally concluded I was going to go with one of two options. First was the cheap HEI option, basically this is using some sort of pointless distributor to trigger an HEI unit from GM. It's a pretty good system, you can read about it if you do a search for cheap HEI ignition on the net. The other option was doing the Ford Duraspark conversion. I elected to go the Duraspark route. I did not have access to a junk yard so I had to purchase everything new from NAPA. Bottom line I had to spend about $200 to buy the box, connections and distributor. The wiring is pretty straight forward and everything can be done under the hood. Be advised there are wiring diagrams on the net which are wrong (ask me how I know), but it's a pretty straight forward install. If you have questions just post I'll respond.

OP
OP
X

xtreme732908

Is there somewhere that I can buy a complete upgrade kit from Duraspark? I'm not looking for anything high performance - I just want a system that I can be confident in and not have the worry about tuning every couple weeks/months. The truck isn't my daily driver and I don't offroad, more just a Sunday driver.

As far as the conversion goes, I have a new Painless Wiring harness (p/n 10113 complete with Ignition and switches). This includes the Ballast Resistor which I understand will be removed with the new system. Where will I draw power from for the new system? Can I wire right to the + side of the Coil? Are there any additional wiring changes that I should be aware of? replacing the distributor, locking in the timing should be easy - I just want to know what else I'm getting myself involved in.

OP
OP
X

xtreme732908

Rick, Thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning Duraspark too and $200 cost is no problem. NAPA is my preferred local supplyhouse, but online I couldn't find that they handle Duraspark. I'll stop in at lunch and see what they say.

As far as wiring, what's required? Is your setup a '74? I know that wiring and distributor gear teeth differed on later models - does the Duraspark fit uniform across the board?

If you have a link to the wrong wiring schematic and can tell me whats wrong, that might help.

Rickb1b

OK if you go the Duraspark route, it's pretty straight forward. There are no kits, but everything can be purchased from NAPA. You will have to buy some wire and make a small wiring harness. Basically you just buy a distributor. a couple connectors and the box. When it comes to wiring, the box has 5 wires, three go to the distributor, and two go to control the box. The power for the box comes off the wire which comes out of the firewall and before the resistor wire (you splice in at this point), the coil still gets power from the resistor wire. The other wire goes to the solenoid, which signals the box when you are cranking to give full voltage and retard timing. Once again very straight forward install. Do a quick search and you'll find wiring diagrams and part numbers.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Purchase all your parts for a 77 Bronco and you will get the large cap DSII. This will mean new plug wires too. 76, if you wish to stay with small cap and regular wires.

Rickb1b

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/DurasparkII.html

Ok I just did a quick search and found a good diagram. Note the red wire goes to the power off the switch before the resistor. The white wire goes to the s terminal on the solenoid. this is the harrnes you will have to make. The other is the harness to the distributor from the box. Once again very straight forward. When you buy the box get the "blue connector box" and buy the two connectors from NAPA which connect to the box, then just run the wires to the required points per the diagram.

Sporto

Agreed...Order the parts for a 77 Bronco and you should be okay.

Distributor, Cap, Rotor, Blue Tab Ignition Module and wires. You retain your stock coil. The only thing is, if you make your own harness, you will either have to find the connectors that Ford used to connect the module to the distributor, or cut off the connectors that are on the module and distributor and wire you're own harness. It can be done, but having the existing harness makes it a lot easier.

I think that this is the best way to go for you considering the lack of engine mods, and the Bronco's usage.

Ping Viperwolf on here for wiring help, he is the master of Bronco wiring and all things electrical, and he is also very forthcoming with his knowledge.

R

OP
OP
X

xtreme732908

My current stock points distributor has a 15 gear connection to the camshaft. Do I need to be concerned with matching up the new Duraspark distributor? The recommendation seems to be going with 77 or 76, but I know that the 77 stock distributor had two different types of gears (Iron and Steel). On this same topic, is there a preference between large cap 77 and small cap 76? I'd like to keep my same wires which are new, but if I need to buy new wires for a good reason, I will.

Rick, as far as the Control Module to Distributor connector, can I buy one from NAPA, or do I need to cut and hard wire via my self-made harness?

Rickb1b

Agreed...Order the parts for a 77 Bronco and you should be okay.

The only thing is, if you make your own harness, you will either have to find the connectors that Ford used to connect the module to the distributor, or cut off the connectors that are on the module and distributor and wire you're own harness.
R

These connectors can be purchased from NAPA, they're overly priced in my opinion, but if you don't have access to a junk yard, it's what you do. The only connector you can't get is the one which connects to the distributor, I used standard crimp flat connectors.

Rickb1b

You need are large cap distributor and a cast iron gear. Steel gear is for forged (roller) cams. Large cap because the duraspark produces are larger spark voltage and the smaller cap can cause the spark wires to short between each other.

FWIW, you can run a bigger plug gap ie .045 vs .035 if youn want with the bigger spark voltage.

Last edited:

kaw550

Bronco Guru
If you just put in a new distributor, i would go with Pertronix.

notsoquick

I'm sure you all are much more mechanically inclined than I am. That being said, I have a dura spark on my '69 and am not thrilled with it. First off, there are too many wires to account for with the harness-too many things to go wrong. Second, there are several places to put the ignition box, but again there are all the wires to consider. I am taking mine out and putting a stock distributor back in, with a PerTronix module. Less wires, that and possibly more spark. I looked into the HEI, but there are clearance issues and you don't want to go cheap with those either. I will more than likely go to a "one wire" alternator in the future just to clean up the wire mess. To get back to the point, I don't think that any of the mentioned distributors are wrong, it all boils down to preference.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My California 1974 Bronco is Factory Duraspark with the earliest version module it runs the small cap and standard plug wire connections and it works just fine. It is still running the origional duraspark module and the origional mag pick-up inside the distributer Ive had this truck since its origional 10,000 miles. I have absolutly no issues with the duraspark ignition. Just make sure you get the resistor plugs and gap them to the .045 spec.
If later you want to change to the large cap and different wires the parts all fit on the same distributer base.
Since I offroad I carry a spare module and pick-up but have never had to use them.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Rick, is the Duraspark from NAPA going to be brand new, or am I looking at just a Remanufactured stock distributor like this one - http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NRD482899_0271593544

I'd prefer to get away from Reman based on a bad experience...

I can understand that, but have not had a problem with the Cordone "remanned" Duraspark. However, do not cheap out on the control module. Motorcraft is the way to go. The cheap chinese knockoffs are prone to failure. Heat is the enemy with any of them. Make sure it gets plenty of airflow. On the inner fenderwell(stock location) has worked well. On some pickups, they mounted to the firewall and had problems with them overheating.