• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Grocery Getter" continuation thread...

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Yeah, me too. Havent been able to spend as much time as I want to on it lately. I've been neglecting house duties and need to spend some time catching up on that. I hope to have some updates pretty soon for you guys though.

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Got some updates for yous guys.

1) Homemade gearbanger. Check and done.

2) Shop to do axles and gears. Check.

3) Actually got to hear it run last night...at 11:30...through open headers. Hehe...

Next is driveshafts, exhaust and a little electrical work. And of course, coming up with the cash to pay the shop to do the axles. Unless someone with the proper knowledge and tools wants to come help me out for pizza and beer. Any takers???

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Gonna stick with the 37"s that are on it for right now. When those have run their course, we'll probably step up to a 38" swamper or something like that.

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Little update. Moved the truck up the street to a new shop that just opened up in town and hes a die hard 4WD guy. I'm helping him out on his shop projects in exchange for a little help on mine.

This is where I ran into a snag. I've just now opened up the front diff and noticed that the bearing caps are not there. I've heard through the grapevine that bearing caps are axle specific and should not swap from one axle to another. Is this true?? If so, I need someone to tell me how to get in touch with ponyracer. Hopefully he knows where they are.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
You need to post some pictures, your killin us.;D

Did you ever get the engine fixed in your Bronco? Don't forget we are doing another SOWEGA trip in a few weeks.

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
You need to post some pictures, your killin us.;D

Did you ever get the engine fixed in your Bronco? Don't forget we are doing another SOWEGA trip in a few weeks.

There's nothing really to show yet. As soon as I make a little progress, you can be sure I'll show yall.

No, I haven't even touched it yet. I've been focusing on this one to get it ready for an outing the week after yall are planning.

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Got some updates for you gents. In the interest of time and monetary savings, I've decided to ditch the rear axle that came in the truck from Ponyracer. One, he didnt include the main caps as with the front axle and two, I cant justify machining down a brand new gearset with the possibility that it will ruin the gear later on. So I picked up a new Sterling off of craigslist for $75 bucks and went that route.
IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

New 4.56 gears all setup and pretty.
IMAG0346.jpg

Also got my new draglink installed and I can actually steer with the steering wheel now!!
IMAG0349.jpg

Gonna go the same route he was thinkin and run the exhaust out the side. Scored me a sweet tip off a '06 HD F-350 for nothing. Now just to get some pipe ran up to it.

I pulled the front axle today to start getting it setup with the new gears and everything. My plan is to cut a section out of the housing to allow the ring gear to not hit the plate he welded in. I know, I know, I'm ruining all his hard work, but IMO, it shouldnt have been done in the first place. Tomorrow should hold quite a bit of surprises for you guys...we'll see. ;D;D

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Got some work done on the front today. Turns out all I had to do to make the ring gear fit in the housing was take a grinder and cut out about an 1/8" on the inside. I was worried about that. Worked out good though. Now, to just get the bearing cap situation figured out. I have a junkyard set and a custom billet set from Mark Williams Enterprises and it looks like both will need some machining. I hope to be able to use the junkyard set so I can get my $150 back for Mark Williams. That'll be tomorrows project.

Its comin down to the wire. I want this thing ready for a mud run Oct 26-28th and its gonna be close.

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Got some updates for you pic whores tonight. We just got home from a mud run in Perry, Fla with what has officially been dubbed "Broncenstein". I'll start with some pics from "thrash week" which was about 4 days of nothing but wrenching and stressing about whether or not parts were gonna make it on time.
IMAG0350.jpg

IMAG0352.jpg

The front axle in all of its former glory. I was skeptical if we were even gonna be able to use it. After having to track down bearing caps and having them machined to the housing and a helluva time getting the gears set up, it finally went back under the truck.
IMAG0361.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

While I was tying up loose ends under the truck, my buddy Dylon started working on the body work to fix past mistakes.
IMAG0363.jpg

Sweety decided on a color change (which I didnt exactly disagree with, but crunch time was on us) and I think it turned out wonderful.
IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

After adding the exhaust and new Silverbacks, we drove it for the first time and out of the shop straight on the trailer.
IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

Needless to say, it got a little dirty. I havent located any action shots yet, but it performed much better than I ever couldve imagined. Aside from new tires, it needs nothing major. I've got a bit of tightening up and what not, but I'm excited about the possibilities. I didnt get a picture, but I drove it up a makeshift RTI ramp and I must say, the flex is phenomenal. That, coupled with the new 4.56s and NP435, makes me wanna go crawlin. Hope yall enjoy and I'll try and dig up more pics and keep up the progress into turning this thing into a true machine.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
very cool !!! how did she stay so clean ?? I dig her boots !!!