• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project grocery getter

Laker

I just started going through the umpteen pages and am in total freakeen awe man! you have some mad skills going on there,I wish you were my neighbor.......or better yet I wished i was yours. Florida is a little warmer than my neck-o-the-woods!! Way too COOL....Cannot wait to see the finished mowsheen!

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
looks awesome man! youre making me question why I put my UCA on the oustide of the frame.

I think part of the reason was exhaust. how are you going to route yours?

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Thanks laker, glad ya like it.

Dan, between the hi pinion 60 and the upper, there is 0 room for the exhaust. I picked up some fenderwell headers. Going to reroute the exhaust down the outside of the frame under the body, not sure yet where it's going from there.

Only problem is I'm prob going to have to remove my shock hoops because the fenderwell headers are going to go right through them.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Well I got everything welded up and got the axle back under it this afternoon.

Tomorrow I'm going to start on the diff covers, all custom(go figure huh), 3/8 ring with 1/4 cover.

DSC05303.jpg

DSC05304.jpg

DSC05305.jpg

DSC05306.jpg

DSC05307.jpg

Rear
DSC05302.jpg

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
nice! love the "speed holes" that should really help reduce wind resistance ;)

I was actually thinking about doing the same on mine in some place. cool!

have you thought about brake line routing? Have you picked up your brake hardware and hoses yet? None of the local parts stores here have the brake caliper banjo bolt. it's an unusual size and thread. There is one dealer way across town that has them so I gotta make a trip.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Na I still have the lines off my fw44 I'm going to mod to work. I think (maybe) my calipers still have the lines so hopefully the bolts are there. As I remember there 7/16, I had to buy them from the dealer for the 44 I had.

I'm thinking about running the lines over the diff like normal and drilling holes through the mounts down near the axle tubes for the hardline to run through.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Pony,

Looks awesome! Definitely gonna flex. I gotta go back through the thread because I am way behind. Keep up the good work.

X2 on having you for a neighbor!!! That sure would be fun. ;D

Just might have to take a road trip to FL one of these days to check that thing out when it is finished. :cool:

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Better be quick!! I'm out the door for korea the first week of june. That's why I'm busting my butt to get it rolling, at least that way I can get it in the garage before I roll out.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Well not a ton of progress but it needed to be done.

I put 2 quarts on oil in the rear diff and sealed up the cover. No leaks on the cover but a couple on the housing. A little zap with the arc welder sorted that out.

Swapped the oil from the rear diff to the front, no leaks.

Put the rear axle under it, put the hubs on temporarily and got the wheels/tire mounted.

Got the front installed, after I cleaned/painted the links. Have to pick up some tubing on monday to weld to the lower coil brackets to use as guides for the coils to travel. If I hard mount them top and bottom it will substantially limit my travel.

Need to find a bellhousing so I can get the tranny installed, then do the engine lift. Once that's done I can get started on the xmember and skid plate.

Ugg still a ton to do and little time left to do it.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Took some advice from the guys on pirate and added a skid plate to my shave. I want this thing to be totally bulletproof when it goes into the wilds of alaska and a fractured diff would be a bad day.

Well got the skid plates done, got the axles back under the truck and she's finally sitting on the tires again. My bellhousing showed up and I realized when I tried to put it all together that I have the wrong damn clutch. Another delay while same up some $$$ for this mess.

DSC05319.jpg

DSC05318.jpg

DSC05317.jpg

DSC05316.jpg

DSC05315.jpg

Front diff cover
DSC05314.jpg

Rear diff cover
DSC05312.jpg

DSC05320.jpg

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Got the 435/205 installed.

Got the xmembers made, need to get the skid plate finished up. I'll get some pics up this weekend.

Ended up screwing up a china pilot bearing, ordered a bronze bushing for a replacement.

Need to get the xmember installed, finish the skid, and start putting the floor back in, then she's getting tucked in because I'm out the door in less than 30 days.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Well I finally got the xmembers done and installed (rebuilt them about 4 times). Going to start on the skid next as well as get the floor closed back in. Here's a few pics.

DSC05324.jpg

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05328.jpg

DSC05329.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

DSC05331.jpg

DSC05332.jpg

The 205 ended up being pretty much even with the frame rails, it's offset to the pass side about an inch with 1/4 clearance on the drivers side framerail. Works out since the sterling is slightly offset to the pass side as well.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Thanks man, how's yours coming? Not sure how many more updates I'll have till xmas time, I'm out the door in 3 weeks or so. Need to get my skid done and going to try to close the floor up to keep the critters out.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you twin stick the 205?

Not sure why I would ask, but my dad's old '73 F250 has the 435/205 in it.