• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project grocery getter

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
Thanks man, how's yours coming? Not sure how many more updates I'll have till xmas time, I'm out the door in 3 weeks or so. Need to get my skid done and going to try to close the floor up to keep the critters out.

Well, the last thing that I did to mine was I installed my BCB 23 EFI tank. Ever since I installed the tank I have been having some problems with the truck starving for fuel.

I am using the stock mechanical pump to attempt to pull fuel through the in-tank electric pump. Sometimes it runs fine, sometimes it will run a few miles then cut off, or could run 10-15 miles before starving for fuel.

Lately I have been too busy to work on the truck and figure out what is wrong with it. I am collecting all the parts that I need to install EFI on the truck. I only have a few parts that I haven't got yet. When I install EFI using a RJM wiring harness I will also be installing Explorer serp. set up, 4X4X2 ps box (i drilled and tapped for ram assist), and will be using a E-Z-wiring harness to rewire my entire truck.

Currently I am TDY for work in Dayton OH. I am hoping when I get done with TDY that I can get busy on the bronco and hopefully get this long to do list knocked out......

JDJ

BigPrince

Loc.
Atlanta
Well I finally got the xmembers done and installed (rebuilt them about 4 times). Going to start on the skid next as well as get the floor closed back in. Here's a few pics.

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05328.jpg

DSC05329.jpg

The 205 ended up being pretty much even with the frame rails, it's offset to the pass side about an inch with 1/4 clearance on the drivers side framerail. Works out since the sterling is slightly offset to the pass side as well.

Very nice! I need someone to build me one pretty much just like that. The xmember I have for my 205 is built into the drop rails for the radius arms and I can not install my extended radius arms until I get the xmember refab'd. Very nice!

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Thanks, I used about a 26" piece of 1.5x3 1/4 wall rect tubing for the main structure, 2" angle on one side and a flat piece of 3/8's on the other. Had to put it in/out about 40 times because every time I put it in I found something that I didn't like or wouldn't clear etc.

Last night I got the skidplate somewhat finished, have to try to get it mounted tonight, going to drill and tap the crossmember in 4-6 places then weld pieces of angle to the frame and use bolts on the edges. Skid is one piece and goes from about 5" behind the 205 to the drain plug in the engine oil pan. Ya it's fun to put in lol.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Got my skid plate pretty much finished up, still need to build a couple bars to tie the front of the skid to the frame or tranny, not sure which yet.

Got the shock hoops removed, removed the verticle portion of the inner fenders, installed the pass side fender well headers. I can't install the drivers side until I finish up the clutch linkage and I'm going to have to completely redesign it since I'm using f150 linkage and it's to long in every direction.

DSC05338.jpg

DSC05334.jpg

DSC05337.jpg

DSC05341.jpg

DSC05342.jpg

DSC05343.jpg

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Thanks guys I'm pretty happy with how it tuned out. Pretty time consuming due to the holes for the slots were punched with a hole saw then I connected them with a cutoff wheel.

Last edited:

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys I'm pretty happy with how it tuned out. Pretty time consuming due to the holes for the slots were punched with a hole saw then I connected them with a cutoff wheel.

Holy cow, man you need a plasma cutter.;D

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
LOL I do have a plasma cutter at the shop. I tried the first one up under the oil pan at the front, freehand trying to cut a 2 straight lines and 2 circles is harder than you'd think. It came out looking like a drunk 70 yr old did it. Guess I could have made a template out of plywood as a guide but oh well it's done.

What I NEED is a torchmate plasma table, then I'd be frigin dangerous!!

fordfan

Bronco Guru
LOL I do have a plasma cutter at the shop. I tried the first one up under the oil pan at the front, freehand trying to cut a 2 straight lines and 2 circles is harder than you'd think. It came out looking like a drunk 70 yr old did it. Guess I could have made a template out of plywood as a guide but oh well it's done.

What I NEED is a torchmate plasma table, then I'd be frigin dangerous!!

What I usually do if I needs to look really good is make a template out of aluminum (.063 or .080). I think my plasma tip is about 5/16" in dia., so the template needs to be about 5/32" larger than where it needs to be cut. I just clamp the template at cut......poor boys cnc plasma!!!:cool:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I took welding in college, we had to free hand some torch cuts. Then they let us use a guide. I lucked out, the block of steel I was using for a guide was exactly high enough to hold the tip retaining nut up enough to hold the cutting tip the 1/8" or so above the cut surface so I had both a straight edge and cutting depth guide in the same piece. I could see using a good hole saw to cut the ends of the slots, then use a torch to make quick work of the long runs between the holes. With that setup, the clean up was really easy.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Looks REALLY GOOD Pony! Especially considering that you did the cuts by hand for the most part. Nice!!! Keep it up. Coming out awesome.