• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has Anyone Seen This Spare Tire Location? 66' Wagon.

HuffDaddy

Hello. Has anyone seen the spare tire location right above the passenger rear wheel well? This sure appears to be stock but requires a bit of a skinny tire. I have searched and searched and I have never seen this location before. I will attempt to post my first pictures and let me know if anyone has seen this. I am brand new with Broncos and classic cars in general. I am finding out the 66 Bronco was kind of a guinea pig so to speak. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 393

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
That's the bracket from the tailgate mount. It was just relocated in a neat spot.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have a '68 with a home made spare tire rack in that location. While it does create more room behind the rear seat, it blocks the blind spot for changing lanes pretty badly.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Seems to me that would severely limit your tire's uptravel?

Todd Z.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree would really block the wheel well do you have pictures of that
Inside the wheel well

OP
OP
HuffDaddy

HuffDaddy

Wow that was fast! Thanks for all the responses. I feel a little stupid thinking it might be stock now. Seems like a good 8" of clearance and no evidence of a tire ever rubbing it. And no, I did not paint the inside red and white. The guy I bought it from did that. Thanks for the tip about the arm rests. I will post a pic tomorrow with the wheel removed. Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
HuffDaddy

HuffDaddy

Here is a quick pic but I will get a better one. Looks like they cut it, flipped it and welded it in. Pretty crazy. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I think if the bronco would never see off-road trail that seems like a pretty cool spare location but at soon as you went wheeling it would be a problem.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Agree with the thought of if you're not going to wheel it and if staying with the stock size tires it's an interesting mod .
The lane changing issue can be minimized with a passenger side mirror.

OP
OP
HuffDaddy

HuffDaddy

When do we get to see the rest of the bronco??????? :):)

Here ya go. I have worked hard on this thing for a couple of months and don't mind showing it off. I can't even imagine a full restoration like many of you all have done. I had a pretty good head start but a long way still to go. I'm having a hard time ripping the hood scoops off for some reason. The 8 screw holes they are hiding might be a factor, love em or hate em.

Attachments

• IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1386.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 65

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Here ya go. I have worked hard on this thing for a couple of months and don't mind showing it off. I can't even imagine a full restoration like many of you all have done. I had a pretty good head start but a long way still to go. I'm having a hard time ripping the hood scoops off for some reason. The 8 screw holes they are hiding might be a factor, love em or hate em.

That's great thanks for posting pics! I've got a Rangoon Red 66' u15 in the garage that I keep neglecting lol. One of these days hopefully.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Sweet ride man..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
And I look forward to seeing it in person here soon

pm you back here soon when I can :D

rock choke ;D

matts460

Wouldn't be as bad of blind spot if it was on other side in same spot. You could do that mod on lifted Bronco and tire might never reach it if lifted enough.