• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Have you experienced this with a body lift ?

mnido

I am doing a frame off build, welded all the seams on the frame, filled excess holes, welded seams on body, (rear quarter), replaced fool pans, fit fiberglass inserts. I braced the body at the door openings. Today I test fit the body with a 1'' body lift and it fit terrible! The only way to get the body lines correct were to remove the two middle 1'' bushings and leave the front and rear in. In that figuration the lines are good, the hood is good, the inserts look great?? Obviously something gave somewhere. My garage is level and the frame rails at all for corners measure the same. I only have about a 1/2'' gap between the body mounts and the center frame mounts. Everything else seems Ok? What do you think? Has anyone experienced this or is this the luck of the Nido ?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Body gaps are just a pain to get right. You might spend countless hours getting everything lined up, and in the end you may never get them right. I had everything lined up nice and then pulled my tub to paint the underside and when i put it back on it all fit like crap again. DONT TEST FIT! Just do what you need and then spend the time in the end figuring it out. I wasted like 6 hours when i lined up my doors before i pulled the tub again. I gave up on door alignment! Ill worry about that some other year!

J-man

Loc.
Holladay, UT
I had to shim my rear mounts with 2 extra washers. Just a common thing with these rigs seems like

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
after my bl, all my gaps were terribly "catawampas" (a technical term). Using shims to try to level and straighten, plus trying to adjust the doors. It's a pain and it's slow.

rwill

lol...ObscureMachine you are the only other person I have heard use term.

turbotim2

I think shimming the body mounts might be your answer, its amazing how one washer thickness can help door alignments.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I think shimming the body mounts might be your answer, its amazing how one washer thickness can help door alignments.

I had to do that after my BL install. the doors didnt line up right after the BL but after a couple of washers and tightening down some of the other mounts more than the others I nailed it.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

I don't have to worry about doors, it is doorless with inserts. I am going to take out all the body lift and sit it on the frame and clamp it down and see how it looks. From there I will shim with the lift to accomplish a 1'' body lift. When I first put the body on and saw how it looked I shit ! Need to regroup and get it figured out. Thanks Guys !

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you sure none of the floor mounts on the body are caved in? I know #2 (under your feet) likes to flatten out.

Edger6

Loc.
Hampton,
So I have a related question, I have my new frame and b/l allready, but I have not started on body work, body is currently on old frame. Should I work off the old frame or new frame with body lift?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
both frames should be the same unless damaged. I bought a frame to use for this very purpose, sort of a prebuilt rotiserrie.

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I am in the process of replacing my floor pans, half way done. One suggestion I read was to do these type replacements before removing the body. With the rest of the body still bolted down, can help with alignment later. Guess I will find out.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

I think what happened with my frame is attributed to welding the seams on the frame. As it is the four center mounts (passenger area) fit great with the 1'' blocks. The front and rear mounts have a 2'' gap between the blocks and the body mounts. This sounds and looks like a lot, however all it took was 3/16 movement (bend) in the frame rails to correct.