• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers for a 351w / 4R70W combo

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
I've also got a 1" WH body lift. Do most of them fit? Hoping to stay near the $300 range, but will be impossible if I go with ceramic. Any advice / suggestions are appreciated.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My 351/4R70W exhaust (without any body lift) started with a set of old Duff headers. I had to cut and splice a couple of tubes to get them installed. The exhaust flange had to be clocked just right to clear the trans pan. Too close for comfort.

Got a set of 289 K-code manifolds. Took the gaskets and a die grinder to port match the manifolds to the aluminum trick flow heads. I was happy with this and it stayed this way until the next owner(s) got it.

Dannyboy71

I have the 351 with a 4r70w. I am using B.C. headers and like them lot. Not any near the 300.00 range though

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Check with Bronco Hut. Uncoated $299.00

Bronco Hut's exclusive shorty headers. Block hugging and fit both 302 and 351 motors. Work with regular heads and GT40 P heads. Work with most transmission combinations.

Tim

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Thanks Tim! I'll add those to the list. I'm hoping to get long headers, but if nothing works good, I'll go the bronco hut route

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Can't beat the WH headers either. If your on a budget, and can weld, build your own exhaust system, it'll only cost you a couple hundred in tubing and muffler and you'll have some more to put into the headers.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Can't beat the WH headers either. If your on a budget, and can weld, build your own exhaust system, it'll only cost you a couple hundred in tubing and muffler and you'll have some more to put into the headers.

Theirs are shorties too. I'm trying to explore long tube options before I go short. Thanks though!

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
I'm trying to read up on the differences of going short vs long. Seems I keep seeing that long is better for low end torque, however I've also seen stuff that contradicts that. Have any of you noticed a difference?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
No expert but I thought long tubes helped in the higher RPM range and shorties helped on the low end and mid range RPMs.

For me , it came down to what fit and ease of install. Shorties won hands down.

Tim

ZOSO

I have this exact combo. Im running duff long tubes with zero issues. They fit perfect. Passenger side is a little close to the trans with 1/2" clearance.

I know for a fact that the BH shorties with a 351 the flange hits the inner fender on the passenger side. You will have to cut and bend the fenderwell to make room.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Theirs are shorties too. I'm trying to explore long tube options before I go short.

We still have long-tube headers as well. Shorties are just the answer to more of the questions getting asked in this modern era.
And probably your answer too. I can't say for sure whether the long tube versions fit the 4R70 or not, but I believe there are some running them.

I'm trying to read up on the differences of going short vs long. Seems I keep seeing that long is better for low end torque, however I've also seen stuff that contradicts that. Have any of you noticed a difference?

I doubt it. Other than fit, most EB owners would be hard-pressed to feel a difference between one or the other. There likely are differences, but you'd probably only track then on a dyno. Or on a highly trained and tuned "butt dyno" for some.
And as for the discrepancies you read, get used to it. They will almost always be there. Different people, different vehicle setups, different conditions... Different experiences.
And with the ease of disseminating information these days, you're going to hear about it no matter which way it goes.

No expert but I thought long tubes helped in the higher RPM range and shorties helped on the low end and mid range RPMs.

Sounds kind of familiar, eh?%)
I think it comes down to "tunable performance" and the ability of a long-tube header to be more finely tuned to a particular engine combination, more easily than shorties can ever be.
The only reason we have what has become known as the modern shorties these days is for for adding a little power with the ability to still easily pass smog certification. Period.
There have been short headers in the form of block huggers and custom fit ones for specialty applications, but for some reason (max performance tuning most likely) they never quite caught on with the hi-po people in the past.
Along come Mustang shorties in the eighties and voila! A new category was born!

As it turns out, shorties also ended up being easier to fit in a lot of vehicle chassis' (think EB's here!) and much easier to find their way into cross-over 2-into-1 exhaust systems.
They still are made to be better flowing than "most" factory exhaust manifolds, but their primary introduction was to match the Ford factory exhaust headers (crimped small diameter tubing) with more free flowing versions that would mate up to the factory flanges to keep the cats in their stock locations.

For me , it came down to what fit and ease of install. Shorties won hands down.

There ya go. That's probably the same answer that the majority of EB owners will come to.
There are probably some out there that can tell the difference between a short and a long header. Maybe even the difference between one brand and another of the same header. But more likely in a hi-po street car than in an often poorly geared, big tired, low-rpm living, aerodynamic turd of a clunky old utility vehicle like a Bronco.;D

Paul

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I just swapped my 302 for a 351 and use Duff's long tube headers. Very little issues. Raised the block from side to side off the motor mounts allowing ease of installation, cut a smidge off the passenger side inner fender, cut a small portion of the cross-member for the trans/transfer case on passenger side for exhaust, rerouted the dipstick (passenger side to driver's side), cleared the starter with no issues too. I do have a stock 3 speed at this time, and I have a two inch body lift. I think these headers work nicely for this set up.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Not sure about the issues that may come from the 4R70W but I have ran Duff Long Tubes on my Windsor for nearly 30 years. I never trimmed anything. They just bolted right on and then bolted right on to their exhaust system. My eb has never seen an exhaust shop.

If you message Duff's Monster Mike here at CB he can tell you if they work with the 4R70W.
My buddy Rob ran them with an 80's AOD back in the 90's.....