• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers for a 351w / 4R70W combo

bronx

Loc.
Austin, TX
I'm about mid way through a ground up restoration and it's time to decide what to do for the exhaust. I have a 351w mated to a 4R70W transmission. I also have a 1" body lift from wildhorses and a 3.5" James Duff lift with the extended radius arms. I really like the Thorley long tube headers, but I am not sure if they will fit. Does anyone know what headers will fit with my application (Thorley, mustang shorties, equal length shorties, etc.)? I would appreciate any pictures and advice. I have searched the forums by the way.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is my exact combo...
Hooker 6909 will NOT fit
The old set of Duff (or was it K-bar-S?) fit, but was way too close for comfort.
Currently running cast iron K-code manifolds that were port matched to the heads. Real happy with those. As for performance, it produced the highest HP and torque numbers on a recent group trip to the dyno. The bolts don't back out and fall off either.

OP
OP
B

bronx

Loc.
Austin, TX
Thanks Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher,

I appriciate your information. I will look for some replica k-code manifolds and keep that as an option. I would really like to go for actual headers, at least for the cool factor, but if it just doesn't work then I will definately use your suggestion. Also I'm in Tucson, where are you in Arizona?

Thanks,

Bronx

Shelton823

Dont hold back

What were the Hp and Torque numbers. What engine set up u using do tell.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Hooker wheel well will work I think the # is 9814 but not sure good luck. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I forgot about the wheel well headers. They should work but might get complicated if you keep the side tank, want to run full length exhaust, ditch rockers or anyother reason not to run exhaust under both seats.

You can read all about the dyno day at www.azbronco.org or wait for it in Bronco Driver.

I live in the Burbs of Phoenix, East valley near Williams gateway airport.

I posted some information about the K-codes a while back. A search should find it.

OP
OP
B

bronx

Loc.
Austin, TX
The engine

The engine is a ford motorsport engine: M-6007-J58 and makes about 240hp in its stock forum.

link: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5679

For the price of $2400, it seemed cheaper to buy this complete engine and add some aluminum heads and an intake manifold for about $1400. This combo is much cheaper than the M-6007-E351E create engine and should have similar hp figures. The engine is built on a 95-97 roller block and should be a good investment.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
BoltBuster said:
Does anyone sell cast iron K-code manifolds replicas?

I got mine off eBay for about $200 for the pair.
Check any mustang restoration shop. Don't need to spring for NOS or exact reproductions, just need something that works. Be prepared, the exhaust hoos up at a different point, so it is not a direct swap for the old log manifolds. It also will not clear the stock mechanical clutch linkage. But with an automatic that isn't an issue.

OP
OP
B

bronx

Loc.
Austin, TX
k-code replicas

Here's a link for the HiPo / k-code exhaust:

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalog/image_classicmustang_c14_2033.html

Also if anyone is interested in a 4R70W transmission, I purchased the transmission from: http://www.jonbarrett.com/
Contact #: 1-877-943-7040
They should still have a couple of new 4R70W 4wd transmissions with stock torque converter for sale, I got mine for $725. The also have some complete explorer fuel injection manifolds (throttle body, fuel rails, white injectors :'( , etc.)

OP
OP
B

bronx

Loc.
Austin, TX
fender well headers

Does anyone have some pictures of the hooker fenderwell headers? I am interested in them if they work with the 351w. Also is there any downsides to the headers or possible installation problems? I have a single gas tank from bc broncos and the duff suspension (shock hoops, rear shock mounts, and extended radius arms).