• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers on stock EB

Bronchopper

Loc.
Incirlik, Turkey
I have a set of headers (unknown brand) that someone gave me. I was hoping to install them in my '71 w/3"suspension lift. Just curious if anyone had any interference issues with clutch linkage? My manifolds are cracked in a couple places and since i already have the headers, figure that is the cheap easy fix. I have an engine hoist, so if need be i can lift the engine to get them in there.

B1

Loc.
anchorage, ak
interchangeability

i have an engine from a 83 mercury capri. it has msd everything, weiand stealth manifold and a 650 demon carb. also the ford motorsport shorty headers. will these bolt onto my 69 302? also was thinking of using the ac compressor from this car... will it work?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
B1 said:
i have an engine from a 83 mercury capri. it has msd everything, weiand stealth manifold and a 650 demon carb. also the ford motorsport shorty headers. will these bolt onto my 69 302? also was thinking of using the ac or from this car... will it work?
They will bolt right to the engine, but the pasenger side dumps right into the frame rail. There have been a few creative solutions (butcher the end of the header, creative exhaust work with tight bends) to make it clear. Mustang shorties are not the best solution for a Bronco.

I have recently heard the ’94-’95 are different then the older ’79-’93. Not sure how well they work.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Bowhunter-

Dont you mean nickel plated Ultraflow headers...I wasnt aware they were available ceramic coated. I really like mine, but man do they get hot. I was wondering whether or not they could be ceramic coated or not without fouling up their lifetime warranty....?...something I was considering when the engine swap hapens next spring.

They were a little tough to get in though. The passenger went in easily, but for the drivers side, I removed the clutch linkage and loosened the motor mount, jacked up the engine by the oil pan, slid it in and dropped it back down and tightened up the engine mount--no problem and then replace the clutch equalizer bracket/linkage. Good luck with whatever you decide...bu the Ultraflows are great headers.

Last edited:

Dueler

Loc.
Lake Arrowhead Ca.
I'm running BC bronco's new headers. They aren't cheap ($470) but you get what you pay for.

Install:
on my F.I. 351 I cut my exhaust pipes, remove plugs on passengers side and slid both headers in from the bottom, I run a ZF trans so can't speak for an auto but I know the ZF is wider than my old 3-speed manual, so it would work for those.
All header bolts were accessable with about 3/4 of them tightning up with socket
Fit:
All my plug wires boots have clearance ( no touching or laying on pipe ) and I can get a plug socket on all the plugs no problem, I have about 1/2 inch clearance between pass fender and header and I moved my brake distribution block over on frame for my comfort level otherwise I have at least 1 inch clearance everywhere. I would imagine a 302 would be all that much better.

Headers have a 5/16 flange with 1 5/8 tubes and are ceramic coated inside and out, It hasn't burned off or discolored in 200 miles and 3 dyno runs. Also can get the starter pipe with or without 02 bungs for same price. You also get the header bolts and gasket.
I chose the flangeless collectors (they have flanged also) and got 2 SS bands for clamping. All in all top notch stuff like all of BC Broncos.

Last but not least, my rig was the dyno mule for this venture. we dynoed before and after on same dyno with same operator with no changes to my rig. 26 hp for the headers over the stock log manifolds and 11hp more for Chuck's 2 into 1 exhaust system over my dual 2 inch exhaust with no name mufflers. Total of 39 ft/lbs more torque. Chuck has the original dyno sheets if you want to know more

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dueler said:
I'm running BC bronco's new headers.
we dynoed before and after on same dyno with same operator with no changes to my rig. 26 hp for the headers over the stock log manifolds and 11hp more for Chuck's 2 into 1 exhaust system over my dual 2 inch exhaust with no name mufflers. Total of 39 ft/lbs more torque. Chuck has the original dyno sheets if you want to know more

Needed this post a couple of weeks ago during a manifold vs. header debate.
Good info though thanks for posting it.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
Dueler said:
I'm running BC bronco's new headers. They aren't cheap ($470) but you get what you pay for.
Does anyone have a link to these headers? I looked around on the site and couldn't find anything but an O2 bung. It was a lot cheaper than $470, but I don't think it'll give much of a performance increase...

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
Install headers before or after installing the motor?

I am about to pull the engine for a rebuild. Can I install the headers on the engine before putting the engine back in and not F up the headers?

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I've got the WH long tubes on my stock height bronco and like them, but I wish I would have sprung for the ceramic coated ones.
I had to jack up the motor and take off the front d-shaft to get them in.
The best things about them are the "dome" or "ball flange" collectors.
No more burnt out gaskets or exaust leaks. That alone was worth the trouble to get them in.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
dk5122 said:
Headers= More Power Manifolds=Choke
Good manifolds don't choke. Good manifolds are not easy to find and are not stock to a Bronco. The latest isue of Bronco driver has a dyno shootout. The high HP winner was running through a set of cast iron manifolds (port matched to the aluminium trick flow heads). I know because I ported them myself :cool:

dk5122

Loc.
Bel Air, MD
Broncobowsher said:
Good manifolds don't choke. Good manifolds are not easy to find and are not stock to a Bronco. The latest isue of Bronco driver has a dyno shootout. The high HP winner was running through a set of cast iron manifolds (port matched to the aluminium trick flow heads). I know because I ported them myself :cool:

Which manifolds flow better than headers? Part #'s? Year? Just curious..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
look at mustang restoration sites. Repo k-code manifolds. I wrote a bit on them a while ago. There should be a thread on them. Don't fit a stick shift, drivers side goes through clutch linkage.

dk5122

Loc.
Bel Air, MD
I just went back to read the article again. Good reading thanks.. You guys had four different setups. I don't see how that proves that logs flow better then a good header. If you had four different setups on one truck that might prove something. I'm not trying to start a fight... Just trying to learn something new. Information is wealth to me.. :cool: Thanks, Dan

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I never said that headers were not the best for HP, just showing that you can make power with iron manifolds. Could I make more with headers, probably. But I make good power using a good set of flowing manifolds and don’t have the issues associated with headers. Besides it just looks so wrong to see iron manifolds bolted to aluminum heads and still make such good power.

Yes, they are all different combinations, it’s just that the one with the highest HP and torque happen to be mine with the cast iron.

Am I afraid of headers? Not at all. I have had 2 sets on Broncos before. I just built my first set for a V8 Ranger that I am putting together. It’s just that for my bronco I find k-code manifolds fit so nice, work so well, don’t have clearance issues that the headers had, don’t have bolts working them selves out over time. Oh, and you have enough material to get out the die grinder and port match them to the heads. Something you just can’t do very easily with headers.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Broncobowsher said:
I never said that headers were not the best for HP, just showing that you can make power with iron manifolds. Could I make more with headers, probably. But I make good power using a good set of flowing manifolds and don’t have the issues associated with headers. Besides it just looks so wrong to see iron manifolds bolted to aluminum heads and still make such good power.

Yes, they are all different combinations, it’s just that the one with the highest HP and torque happen to be mine with the cast iron.

Am I afraid of headers? Not at all. I have had 2 sets on Broncos before. I just built my first set for a V8 Ranger that I am putting together. It’s just that for my bronco I find k-code manifolds fit so nice, work so well, don’t have clearance issues that the headers had, don’t have bolts working them selves out over time. Oh, and you have enough material to get out the die grinder and port match them to the heads. Something you just can’t do very easily with headers.

there is another reason to ditch headers, the large waste of valuable room in the engine compartment, and the reduced room under the Eb!

braxton357

Loc.
morganton NC
Not just that, but they're one of the biggest PITA's you'll encounter on a eb...not to mention making replacement of parts more fun in the future. Just say no to headers on a stock 302. They're going to suck for power with or without headers, and with stock smog heads...the exhaust manifold is the least of your worries.