• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlights keep going on and off after about 20 min

clredmon

Loc.
jackson, tn
It seems that after my headlights get warmed up that they start to cut on and off. I replaced the dimmer switch and this didnt help. Any ideas on what could be causing this?????

ransil

Bronco Guru
Headlight switch.

replace it or add relays in the high and low circuits to take the load off the switch.
Most bronco vendors sell a relay harness, or make your own.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Replace the headlight switch as the cb has got week and is kicking out when it gets hot. Should be a easy fix. Good luck and have fun.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

Jeepeater

definately headlight switch. had the same problem.. PO had the h4s on with no relays. I replaced the switch and went to regular light, no problems ssince.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Probably the switch but check your wires off the back of the headlights. I had a wire find its way under the battery tray and get the insulation worn off. It would then occasionally short to the battery tray and the lights would go on and off. I had to drive 50 Miles by the light of the full moon before I got it figured out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ford headlight switches have a built in curcuit breaker that goes bad over time. Causes the blinking headlights syndrom you describe. So common that the first step is to try a new headlight switch. They are affordable and available at any decent parts store (expect special order from warehouse, next day). Pulling the headlight shaft out and/or reaching under the dash is often the hardest part.

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
I had same problem with headlights turning on and off. I switched the switch and it's been fine since.