• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HEI Install, now oil pump won't work

zfbailey23

Hey folks,
I have a 76 & I just installed an HEI and I don't think it's engaging my oil pump. I am getting no oil pressure reading from my gauge and its new as of 4 weeks ago.

There is a nasty clacking coming from the left side of my engine that wasn't there before the switch.

The engine is running well as far as timing throttle response as far as I can tell. There is a lack of performance that I noticed, but what I meant was that its running and not misfiring.

At help will be appreciated
Thanks

Zac

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
#1 thing is pull the dissy and make sure the drive shaft to the pump is still in place- dont run it anymore till u verify oil pump is working..

OP
OP
zfbailey23

zfbailey23

I pulled the distributor out and the rod to the oil pump was in place and in tact. I used a wire brush on the distributor hole to make sue the distributor wasn't sitting high. After that reinstalled the distributor, started up the engine and the same result.

I didn't want to start draining the oil, remove the oil pan, & oil pump before getting some feedback from some more knowledgeable people than myself.

Thanks for the responses btw.

Any help is appreciated

70_Steve

Old Guy
If the oil pump shaft is in place and the engine runs, then it can only be two things. Either the oil pump shaft is too small, or something is too short. You could use a tape measure and measure from the flange on the distributor, where it sits on top of the block, to the bottom of the shaft and compare that to the measurement from the top of the oil pump shaft to the top of the block.

Or! (just had a thought) Something could be hosed up with the oil pump. Use a oil pump priming tool in a drill, run the oil pump, and make sure you have oil pressure.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What 70_Steve said. Run drill in REVERSE. Key must be in the run position for oil pressure gauge power.

OP
OP
zfbailey23

zfbailey23

Thanks 70_steve and gr8scott, I thought about the length issue and and I will try that out. I also am going to try to prime the pump as well. Regarding the pump, if the pump is gummed up, wouldn't that prevent the rotor in the distributor from rotating?

Thanks for the info, I'll let you guys know what happens.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Next time your run it imediately shut the engine off and pull the rocker cover and see if you have oil up top of the rocker arms. Oil is pumped up through the crank up to the cam then the lifters up the push rods to the top of the rockers and then drains back to the pan to start all over again.

Pat B

Probably a dumb question...Pull it back out and measure the hex in the distributor.
If it's 5/16, you have a 351W distributor. If it's a 1/4", something else is screwed up

Pat

gerg

Wow. Two posts in one night on HEI and oil pressure. First thought I had a gauge issue as was doing a Centech install at the same time as a new DUI unit. (too many changes at the once). Turns out there was no oil pressure although I can't say for sure as gauge tested good and tried two sending units then dropped pump shaft into the oil pan while sussing out the issue

Check what other have mentioned on shaft size and dizzy length

Not 100% why in my why in my case...but when I pulled the dist out the shaft was stuck to it. Pulled off with just a little tug. . When I first installed the HEI, had some trouble getting it clocked right, then had it 180 out. By the time I had it right think it might have been lifted up and relocated 3-4 times.

My theory is that the shaft stuck in the dist hex hole and every time I relocated it pushed up farther and eventually it didn't reach the pump...or maybe I don't what the hell I'm doing putting Chevy parts on a Ford

End of the story is that when trying to get the shaft back down to the pump it fell into a spot and I ended up pulling the pan and checking the pump anyway...works fine but going to replace it as motor has 130k...and yes getting to this last point involved teeth nashing, choice verbiage and a big dent in the beer cooler supply soothing hurt bronco feelings

PaveBronco

I have had nightmares about that dam oil pump shaft. Mine is missing the little clip that is supposed to stop the hex shaft from pulling out. So every time I’ve pulled the dizzy either the shaft comes out with it, or it pulls up just enough to disengage the oil pump end of the shaft . I kinda sits in the hole just a little cocked to one side, the Dizzy still fits but isn’t turning the oil pump. I welded a deep well socket to a long rod so I can get on it and pull it back up to engage the oil pump. I suspect maybe that’s what’s happening.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id say you got the wrong cobbled together HEI unit. Its probably for a 351. 302's have a 1/4" hex shaft for the oil pump 351's have a 5/16" shaft so pull your dizzy and check the size.

Hubba

Loc.
Montesano WA
I had that problem with my 302 after pulling the dizzy the shaft slipped out of the oil pump and stood diagonally in the hole. I used a 1/4" magnetic nut driver to fish it out, thank God then I used a piece of 3/8" fuel line to drop it in the G spot. Got lucky that day.