• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HEI Install Trouble

nkarras

Alrighty, I just installed an HEI Distributor on my '73 302. Knotched hood brace and everything. Well, its a little sluggish to start now, almost as if it's battery is low on juice.

Only thing i can think of is that the resistance wire wasn't replaced with a thicker one, so it may not be getting enough juice to the distributor...could this cause the sluggish starting?

as of right now it started up easier prior to the install.

Thanks

NIck

OP
OP
N

nkarras

also the plugs are at .050" gap

New 8mm accel wires
New plugs

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
I did away with the original feed to the coil/distrib and replaced it all the way from the ignition switch to the HEI when I did mine. That way one gets full batt voltage. Starts better than it ever did. :cool:

markperry

Bronco Guru
Are you going through your balist resistor.....It needs too be 12v

OP
OP
N

nkarras

I assume i am, thats probably the problem. I used the existing wire to the ignition switch...so now to replace that i suppose.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I assume i am, thats probably the problem. I used the existing wire to the ignition switch...so now to replace that i suppose.

That's probably the problem....try feeding it a full 12volt;D....Also make sure your timing is set around 10

OP
OP
N

nkarras

thanks for the help guys, on shift tomorrow so ill have to look at it Sunday.

OP
OP
N

nkarras

well, It was too far advanced. So re-adjusted and set it to 10 advanced. started fine, ran smooth, drove it back home. Shut it off, and went to restart it and all i get is 4 inches of movement on the fan, and the starter does the grind similar if you hold the key on start too long....im starting to get frustrated... any ideas?

OP
OP
N

nkarras

also, whats the purpose of the long tube on the heater hose fitting to the intake manifold?

OP
OP
N

nkarras

still didn't replace that wire...no clue where it needs to go on back of ignition switch, looking at my books for that.