• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help ..460 big block in a Early Bronco

Darrellr

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
Well, instead of installing my 302 I am opting to install a 460 in my early Bronco. Can anyone give me input on what is needed... what is the best transmission selection, I have a C6 and a C4, I see L& L makes motor mounts but what about the transmission mount.. clearance.. Help!!!

I really want to do this the right way... Just trying to build a radical street cruiser... Yep I know it's over Kill but I already bought the engine so I'll take all the help I can get... I have 5 inches suspension lift and about 2 inches body lift...

Thanks

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Buy the mounts and hook up the c6/205 combo and lower that puppy in there for a good test fit. Be ready to cut the core support to make some room for the radiator and fan set up. I would think you will have to make trans and t case mounts. Sorry I am not to much help, but it can be done.
Good luck

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
There was allot of talk about this last year. A tube front end would make things easier, but there a couple members on here who did it by modifying their core supports and inner fenders. How are your fabrication skills? I actually measured the L&L headers (fenderwell exit for '78-'79' F-150) for a member here, we found that they would work on an EB. You may find those threads using the search function.

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
One of the thread titles is "460 engine conversions pros/cons". I don' t know how to link it onto this thread, I guess I'll have to learn. Hope that helps.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
other than just wanting to do this swap I really think its a bad idea most everything will have to be modified to make it fit all the crossmembers will have to be custom the driveshafts lenghten and shortened. Suspension will probably need to be changed as the 460 may cuase the front to be lower than the rear. I hope you already have 31 spline axles as the stock 28 splines may not live long with the 460's torque. C-6 is about the only choice although there are rumors of big block bellhousings for a c-4 but still the C-6 is stronger. Not real sure on the exhuast setup but I imagine that will have to be custom made as well. hope you got a pile of cash laying around.
Personnally I'd sell the 460 and go with a 351W stroker motor then you can have a killer engine that at least fits with little to no modifications.

OP
OP
D

Darrellr

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
PM From ponypower77

From ponypower77

It is a very easy swap. I have did 4 early broncos now with 460's in them. You can do it with a 2 inch body lift but a three inch makes it a little easier. The fire wall on the driver side right under the throttle linkage has to be moved back a half inch, which can be done by cutting it out and moving a 5x5 square back or by hitting it with a large hammer to move it back to clear the driver side head, I have done both methods (hardest part of the swap). I have used the L&L conversion motor mounts on all of the swaps thst I have done. Motor bolts right into stock 302 towers. I have had no issues with radiator nor have I had to cut the core support on any of the ones that I have done. If you have any question you can call me and I can answer any question that you have.

Thanks
Wes

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
The 460 swap is do-able. A fuel injected 302 or a 351 will never capture the attention like a big block bronco.
You need to be aware that you will have the truck to beat so build a hot 460.
If it is with in your skill level and you have the time, it will be a great learning experience.
I would grab a tape measure and start taking some base line measurements.
Distance from the bell housing to the yoke on the transfer case. "stock"
How short can that drive line be before it becomes a problem? Are you running dunes or trails? "Lift"?
The easiest way to go is grab a trans-transfercase from a 77-79 or later f-150. Stay away from the bronco trans-transfercase because the adapter is 5-6" longer than the truck unit.
Fire wall can be notched fairly easily. I mounted a nascar radiator in mine to keep my big block cool
Secret is to plan ahead before you jump.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

I PM'D you so shoot me an email and I will get some pictures and ideas out to you

Bronco_Rider.

OP
OP
D

Darrellr

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
Thanks bronco... I will email you my info... IT comes with a c6 and transfer case out a 77 truck... to be clear, that is shorter than the c4 and dana 20?

zbronc

The 77-79 F-150's have shorter adapters? Is this correct? C6/205's?
interesting..........

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have Big block experience. Just not in a bronco. But I like your enthusiasm. Do it.

Bax

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
A quote from back in the day of mud racing... "small blocks are nice, and some really fly, but it takes a big block to make a man cry";D I just got in from the shop, painted my roll cage, and drank beer, so this post seems to make sense....OK I'm done.

OP
OP
D

Darrellr

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
I just got my 460 / c6 and np203 combo home... holly crap this thing is heavy... I'm still going forward but I cant push the cherry picker with the engine and tranny on it over the concrete lip on the floor of my garage... I was hopping for a np205 but after cleaning it it's a 203... will this transfer case work?