• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP? Headlight Relay melting my lense

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
I just added TBP headlight relay harness and it's really hot on high beam.
It looks like both low and high elements are on with high beam.
It's melting my new lenses.

No instructions with this kit so I want to verify.
1 male plug into 1 existing headlight plug, 2 female plugs into each light. 2 ground wires at core support. 2 12v wires to battery.
Did I plug it in wrong?

Attachments

• Melting.jpg
    Melting.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
You may also want to consider glass H4 housings. I am running the Rampage H4 housings with no issues.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Both highs and lows should not be coming on at the same time when you are using high beams if they are you might have a bad foot switch (dimmer switch) the wiring you described sounds right. So my question would be the same what bulbs are you running (wattage) and what lenses?

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Problem is plastic lenses. Weather You have highs and LOwes on at same time or not lense should not melt. The glass lense will solve your problem. Also it is a common mod to have both on at same time. Many on here have done it

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Plastic lenses should not be an issue if you are running lower wattage bulbs say the 55/60watt bulbs when you go above that yes you really should have glass lenses. Yes it is a common upgrade to make both highs and lows come on at the same time but the relay harness from Tom's does not do that without modification so something is not right.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Side note for some 55/60 watt bulbs are not a low wattage bulb they are the stock wattage

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
That's what I'm getting at there has to be something else going on either high wattage bulbs or some how cross wired plastic lenses should not be the only reason he's having this issue.

707Bronk

I used the WH illuminator harness and it had a way of turning both elements on when in high beam mode. I had to disconnect the connector on the back of the relay that allowed that feature.

Not sure if TBP harness is the same...

Might be the wrong or malfunctioning hi-beam switch? Unlikely, but easy to check.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I used the WH illuminator harness and it had a way of turning both elements on when in high beam mode. I had to disconnect the connector on the back of the relay that allowed that feature.

Not sure if TBP harness is the same...

Might be the wrong or malfunctioning hi-beam switch? Unlikely, but easy to check.

I have the WH harness and it had the option to run both elements at once or not. I'm running plain halogen headlights so I opted for the brighest .

OP
OP
B

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
Thanks guys, I'm not sure of the wattage on these bulbs as they came assembled. They have a blue tint and the Halo has a clear ring.

I did the harness because my lights were turning off and on. I will check the dimmer switch as it might be fried as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Many of the blue tinted bulbs have a higher wattage rating to overcome some of the downside of tinting. But like most things automotive, that's not guaranteed either. So the only way to know (if you don't have some kind of documentation to consult) is to pop a bulb out and see if there are markings on the aligning ring.

Did you verify visually that both filaments are lit at the same time? Or were you surmising? If verified, then like the others said, I would at least check the dimmer switch to rule it out, but it's not unheard of for a relay pack to have a glitch either. Or like some, be designed to do just that. Not sure about Tom's though, but like someone mentioned, I don't think they're meant to do that either.

Good luck. Hope it's a quick, easy and cheap fix!

Paul

OP
OP
B

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
I figured out why both hi and low come on with hi beam. The TBP relay harness has a connector next to the relays that gives you this option. I unplugged it and it went back to normal low or Hi.
Still looking for glass lenses. I liked the look of my clear lense halo's but they melted
I can't find Cibie lenses so what other glass lens has the best beam pattern?

Last edited:

PaveBronco

Like has been said, look at your Hi beam switch, jumper it out to check it, or just replace it, its cheap enough. had to replace mine after the relay install, it didnt like the lower amperage going through it, it was old and prob corroded contacts..