• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight/electronic help

SamSam

Hi everyone! I've been reading the previous threads and can't figure out what my issue is with the headlights in my '74. I was in the process of swapping all the exterior lights to LED. Whilst doing so my 4 year old God son jammed a screw driver in the front turn signal socket after i took the old bulb out. I heard it arch or short. Now I still have turn signals but no headlights, running lights or side markers.

I've swapped the headlight switch and there is no in line fuse that I've found. I fell like it's something stupid that I'm overlooking. Can anyone send me in the right direction, please?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, unless there was power on in the bulb socket, I don't see how your helper could have caused a short. Have you checked for current at any of the bulb sockets with a test light? If there is no current at the socket, I would check at the dimmer switch. Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the headlight switch was on, then the turn signal socket was energized, at least on some circuits.
The ones for the running lights specifically.

You could be experiencing a couple of different things.
First is a new headlight switch that was defective right out of the box. Testing each lamp socket that’s not working as well as veterans will tell you if you’re getting power.
I don’t know how sensitive they are, but couldn’t perhaps all the previously installed LED bulbs have burned out?

Burned out LEDs would only explain the marker lights not working however and would have nothing to do with the headlights.
Unless the socket in question is still shorted out and is simply opening the circuit breaker inside the headlight switch.
That’s why you did not find any fuse for the headlights. Because the circuit breaker is built into the switch.

OP
OP
S

SamSam

Hi, unless there was power on in the bulb socket, I don't see how your helper could have caused a short. Have you checked for current at any of the bulb sockets with a test light? If there is no current at the socket, I would check at the dimmer switch. Good luck
The circuit was energized at the time because I was testing out the tail lights. I'm not getting power to the headlight harnesses even with having replaced the highlight switch and and dimmer. I'm not sure if the harness is aftermarket, I'm trying to figure that out now.

OP
OP
S

SamSam

Found it. It is an aftermarket harness and a very well hidden fuse box. Blown fuse. Thanks for the input guys!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, good find. Gotta love those cleverly hidden little gems.