• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Me Choose a Wiring Harness Please

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good deal... Hope it works well

I ended up going with the AAW Classic Update Harness and their Duraspark Ignition Harness.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/American_Autowire_66-77_Bronco_Harness/Bronco_Wiring_Harness

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500918

Also looking at this to operate all my lights, seat heaters, fans etc.

Pretty slick. No fuses or relays to worry about.

http://switch-pros.com/

Wish me luck and expect some posts in the tech section soon when I get stuck!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah don't keep receipts w/these rigs.. :)

I started researching different harnesses and did not realize the prices, I understand to do things right, it is not always cheap but right now the prices are not in the budget because not having any experience replacing this myself I will need to have it installed and I have asked around and installation was just about the price of a harness so for now I have to just try and make what I have work. Thank you everyone for your help. It is hard to find someone to trust with your rig, are there any "FORD" shops near the Los Angeles CA area? I have been taken for a couple of times already, I also have a '97 F350 that have been taken for. I thought taking them to an offroad shop and paying more for their expertise/knowledge things would be done right...nope, replaced parts that they recommended and still having the same issues after taking it back 3 times. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
You may still end up with the extra fuse panels/blocks Jax,

Oh, I am purposefully going to use them.
I like disconnects and will essentially remove the high pull/extras on the fuse panels from the main harness.

My last green 77 employed almost two separate systems. One battery and harness ran the vehicle, a second battery and (2) aux panels ran the unnecessary stuff [stereo, winch, lights, etc].

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I started researching different harnesses and did not realize the prices, I understand to do things right, it is not always cheap but right now the prices are not in the budget because not having any experience replacing this myself I will need to have it installed and I have asked around and installation was just about the price of a harness so for now I have to just try and make what I have work. Thank you everyone for your help. It is hard to find someone to trust with your rig, are there any "FORD" shops near the Los Angeles CA area? I have been taken for a couple of times already, I also have a '97 F350 that have been taken for. I thought taking them to an offroad shop and paying more for their expertise/knowledge things would be done right...nope, replaced parts that they recommended and still having the same issues after taking it back 3 times. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

If the vehicle can sit for a few weeks, do it yourself.
Yes, it's a lot of effort.
Yes, you will make a few mistakes and gremlins will appear.
Yes, you'll need to get a good crimper, heat shrink, and loom.

BUT you'll understand a lot of how the vehicle works and where everything is in the future. Diagnosis of future problems will be a lot faster when you know which ground is for which circuit and where the wires go through the cab to find them.

eric0o1

If the vehicle can sit for a few weeks, do it yourself.
Yes, it's a lot of effort.
Yes, you will make a few mistakes and gremlins will appear.
Yes, you'll need to get a good crimper, heat shrink, and loom.

BUT you'll understand a lot of how the vehicle works and where everything is in the future. Diagnosis of future problems will be a lot faster when you know which ground is for which circuit and where the wires go through the cab to find them.

what he said

To be honest, the guys that claim to know absolutely nothing seem to have the more trouble free installs. They pay attention to the instructions given in the manual and aren't afraid to ask questions when things aren't clear. I know I'm guilty of skipping steps on something because I thought I knew something different only to have to redo and follow instructions.

If it's being afraid of not knowing what you're doing that's keeping you from doing an install, don't doubt your self, there's plenty of us here that can help.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I agree 100% with JaxLax. I don't want anyone else working on mine, this way if something goes wrong down the road I'll know what's going on.

ransil

Bronco Guru
what he said

To be honest, the guys that claim to know absolutely nothing seem to have the more trouble free installs. They pay attention to the instructions given in the manual and aren't afraid to ask questions when things aren't clear. I know I'm guilty of skipping steps on something because I thought I knew something different only to have to redo and follow instructions.

If it's being afraid of not knowing what you're doing that's keeping you from doing an install, don't doubt your self, there's plenty of us here that can help.

I have fixed a bunch of replacement harness with questionable install quality. with a non working stock harness a crappy installed replacement harness seem to work for a year or so, just like using Scotch locks seem like a good idea at the time...

2 I remember well.
turn radio on headlight go off....
horn blows fuse with column connector disconnected ( there was a long thread on this one a few months back )