• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me ID my pile of Chevy/GM front disc parts and need some advice

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Well folks, got to organizing my parts to sell in my garage sale classifed post and also to start working on my front end. I opened up 2 plastic bins and found my brake parts. Lord Jesus that's a bunch of parts. I sort of know what most is but I have no idea what those big backplates are from and why I have so many spindles, bearings, races, etc. Looks like the really rusty spindles and calipers were new when I put them in the bin 10 years ago. Not so much now!

What would ya'll do? Spend hours/days sanding/wire brushing and hundreds of dollars on chemicals, paint and making a huge mess cleaning this crap up? Or just spend the money on new parts and sell these in the garage sale?

20241003_232910.jpg 20241003_233023.jpg 20241003_233006.jpg 20241003_232954.jpg 20241003_232933.jpg 20241003_232901.jpg

Tricky Dick

Contributor
Take what you need and clean it up, then sell the rest as is to make it go away.

It's all pretty cheap new now though.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Clean up the two sets of spindles that aren't crusty - make sure the bearing surfaces are still good and keep those as spares or sell them off. Someone will want the backing plates - no one reproduces the full-circle ones as far as I can tell.

Todd Z.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
as stated on the cleanup. Clean what you are going to use and pedal the rest. Sand/media blast, wire wheel, "evaporust" or muriatic acid to clean the parts you are using. The calipers I would just use for cores, they are too inexpensive to spend more than a few minutes on them. IMO bearings have little to no value, they just aren't worth the risk, the cost of failure can be catastrophic. Used grease seals are just trash. The tin axle seal slingers are almost gold LOL.

The big backing plates are either old and just another version or they go with the large bearing spindles and are for 8 lug. Easy to tell, measure the distance from the caliper portion to the dust shield, if it is longer than the small ones they are for 8 lug. If the price is right, and they are for 8 lug, I would be interested, those and the large bearing spindles.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
OK so I decided to keep the big backing plates. They seem to clean up pretty good with my wire wheel and drill and are beefy. Took about 30 min.

20241004_123210.jpg
Now for the spindles. There are 3 sets. The one on the right looks like the rusty one in the middle size wise. It's probably the one I used when I had the truck together. The rusty one came with what appears as a race? They were new and got ruined in storage. The one on the left looks slightly bigger then the other 2. Which one is the correct one to use? New spindles are way expensive so I'll clean whichever one is correct up.
20241004_123349.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i would say, trip to metal recycle plant, get some money.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The spindle on the right is the correct one. The one that is larger on the left is a big bearing for a late model GM 6 lug or all GM 8 lug.

Tricky Dick

Contributor
OK so I decided to keep the big backing plates. They seem to clean up pretty good with my wire wheel and drill and are beefy. Took about 30 min.

View attachment 932495
Now for the spindles. There are 3 sets. The one on the right looks like the rusty one in the middle size wise. It's probably the one I used when I had the truck together. The rusty one came with what appears as a race? They were new and got ruined in storage. The one on the left looks slightly bigger then the other 2. Which one is the correct one to use? New spindles are way expensive so I'll clean whichever one is correct up.
View attachment 932496
You can get new small bearing spindles for about $60-70 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XRNBQQ/?tag=classicbroncos-20

I'd wire wheel them, check the size with calipers, and if they're iffy at all just get new. They could still be fine.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If you weren't going to keep them I'd want to get second inline for the 8 lug backing plates & spindles.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
So I took @Yeller 's instruction and cleaned up the spindle he said was correct. It's on the right in this Pic. Would you all agree that these three are the correct GM spindle for the GM front disk swap?

Also, no idea where the spindle bolts are. What should I get to use?

20241005_174613.jpg

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
@Yeller
Thanks. One question though. I've seen folks on YouTube bolt from the backing plate through the spindle and into the front of the knuckle. The ones you linked are "studs" which go from the back of the knuckle through the spindle and backing plate then have nuts to retain them. What's the difference in these 2 methods?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
One works and the other the wheel falls off lol.😂

The Ford 5 bolt knuckles the caliper bracket goes between the spindle and knuckle. Is assembled knuckle-caliper bracket-spindle, studs pressed through the knuckle.

On the GM parts the caliper bracket goes on last, knuckle-spindle-caliper bracket, studs pressed in through the knuckle.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
One works and the other the wheel falls off lol.😂

The Ford 5 bolt knuckles the caliper bracket goes between the spindle and knuckle. Is assembled knuckle-caliper bracket-spindle, studs pressed through the knuckle.

On the GM parts the caliper bracket goes on last, knuckle-spindle-caliper bracket, studs pressed in through the knuckle.
@Yeller Hmm. My knuckles have 3/8 fine threads all the way through. Why would I use the studs? I thought studs press in? In none of my old bolt boxes do I see bolts with press in splines. I'm thinking they were standard bolts from the outside in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I found this which relates:

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Found another article which says to use bolts not studs. Must be different with various years:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Interesting. Guess I need to look at more bronco parts. Never seen the knuckles threaded on a 44, they’ve always had studs. I’ve seen Dana 30’s threaded but not 44, not saying they can’t be.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
@Yeller
This video I found confirms the bolts go from outside in. The original drums had the bolts that way - not studs @ the 9 Min and 12 min mark of the video.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Never seen the knuckles threaded on a 44, they’ve always had studs.

Early Bronco Dana 44 drum brake knuckles are threaded and the bolts go from the outside in. The WH link also made me scratch my head. It's incorrect.

Attachments

• 20241006_112919.jpg
    20241006_112919.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 13
  • 20241006_113032.jpg
    20241006_113032.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 12