• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help removing ignition switch without the key

GSP9

Loc.
State College
I bought a nice used dash recently and the ignition switch was still in the dash. I need to get the thing out so i can strip the dash and paint it. I know how to remove the ignition switch when you have the key but any tricks to removing it when you don't have the key? Thanks.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Take it to someone with 9 thousand old Bronco keys and hope to get lucky or do it the way I have had to by drilling it out. Drilling it is a HUGE mess, start with small bits, work larger and basically destroy everything....it is a pain.

luke

Yep. Drilling it is about it. I couldn't find my keys during the resto and had to drill it to paint the dash. Bought a new keyset and put it in after paint. Then a couple years later I was cleaning up after the restoration and came across the original keys. Annoying to say the least.

OP
OP
G

GSP9

Loc.
State College
Thanks guys. I almost started drilling it last night but thought I would ask on here first if there was another way to go about it.

Fallingcedar

The old Ford lock is not that hard to pick with a rake and a tension bar. A good locksmith will make quick work of it. Might call and ask what he charges if you bring it to him and he doesn't have to do a field service call.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
If you have the dash out of the Bronco you can go thru the pain of drilling it or carry the dash to a locksmith and have them remove it. My experience is the locksmith is easier and cleaner;)