• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Spring Cup Looks Off

Jamie Chriss

I am installing spring cups they look off. passenger side is loose with lots of play drivers side is tight.

Attachments

• 8E94067D-8ECF-4B4E-85A0-9C722FBAFC40.jpg
    8E94067D-8ECF-4B4E-85A0-9C722FBAFC40.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 19EDEA0C-DAF8-4D23-9425-98A4B0CB91C9.jpg
    19EDEA0C-DAF8-4D23-9425-98A4B0CB91C9.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 184

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are the 2 Bolts in the Center of the Cup/Clamp tightened down?

The 2 bolts should go through both pieces of stainless. The Cup Itself and the Clamp that holds the Coil Spring.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Also. That passenger spring is not fully seated in the cup. Spring cups are the same left to right. That is one reason it looks off. The offset for the end of the spring is always facing front on the passenger side and back on the drivers side. Now it looks as though you need to rotate the passenger side spring about 45* to make the end of the spring match up to the offset in the cup. If you look in the top coil bucket there should be a small offset about the same. As for the looseness, i dont know what to tell ya other than be sure the two bolts holding it down are tight

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

The drivers side is very tight, it isn’t releasing the spring like the passenger side and causing some lean. I attached the photos from both sides. Something just seams wrong. The drivers side side the tang is facing outwards towards driver side. The Spring is tight to the cup.
The passenger side the tang is facing towards the driver side wheel. The passenger side just doesn’t seem right. Is there a right and left Spring? I can’t turn the Spring then there would be not attachment point.

Both cups have the cut out towards the respective wheel.

Attachments

• 841E7BE8-E8B0-4D40-B522-9B7D5C603B88.jpg
    841E7BE8-E8B0-4D40-B522-9B7D5C603B88.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 132
  • A106C4DE-0532-44A0-A3A8-69F91C1CD649.jpg
    A106C4DE-0532-44A0-A3A8-69F91C1CD649.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 126
  • C0B1C142-9557-465C-AC29-E5DDE2A0CB4E.jpg
    C0B1C142-9557-465C-AC29-E5DDE2A0CB4E.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 110
  • 4195640A-BDE4-4FB4-A71C-5B619ED051A2.jpg
    4195640A-BDE4-4FB4-A71C-5B619ED051A2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 116
  • B98E2B2A-ACE5-4091-88B4-7F7156034485.jpg
    B98E2B2A-ACE5-4091-88B4-7F7156034485.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 128

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
You haven't given us a picture if the axle is squarely under the frame to see if the springs are leaning.

Since the straight piece of the upper spring that has to fit into the straight notch on the top of the spring tower and then gets strapped down.

The bottom cups, with offset bolts that really can go on only one way.

Which leaves if the springs are straight up and down. Do you have an adjustable track bar to line things up?

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Are your bolts tightening down tight on the passenger side (tang)? If not, maybe cleaning the threads will help. The spring should be 'squared' up at the top when installing.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm thinking the Passenger Side Cup needs to be rotated 180'? Then tighten back down.

Shock Boots should be at the top of the shocks as well.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Passenger side: Yes if I turn the cup the spring sits much nicer but the tang is located on the longer side of the spring. I know the way the cups are installed are correct but why all the fitment issues. I have installed them with the classic radius arms and the Duff T Rex arms have the same issue with both.

The T Rex has three bolt holes, two on the arm and the one on the cup. Honestly it looks more right if the cup was only attached to the arm side.
Honestly I don't know what the third hole is there for? My SS cups don't have to movable notch like the heavy duty cups have with the slotted bolt hole.

The drivers side, the spring is bunched up and not really sitting in the cup well. Again it seems like the better fit is moving the cup onto the arm holes..
attaching photo.

Attachments

• DSC_3639.jpg
    DSC_3639.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_3641.jpg
    DSC_3641.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_3642.jpg
    DSC_3642.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_3643.jpg
    DSC_3643.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_3610.jpg
    DSC_3610.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

I have scoured the web for information on how to properly install these cups, there is nothing, so at least there will be a searchable record for the next person.

The T Rex arm attachment has two holes, it looks like they are made to place the cup further back, that would allow the drivers side to site better. But that dosn't answer the spring issue on the other side? does it? I know this is Bronco 101 I am scratching my head on this one. What is obvious the drivers side spring isn't releasing like the passenger side so it is causing a slight lean.

Attachments

• DSC_3593 (2).jpg
    DSC_3593 (2).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 49

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Those pictures look fairly normal to me. The radius arms move in an arc and the further they get away from the frame the steeper the angle between the two becomes. So combining lift springs with not much weight on the chassis the springs can really bow, not sit quite right and look funny.

Since there is essentially only one spring and coil cup, and not a mirror image for left and right, the two sides want to lean in different directions. Also, with aftermarket springs I've found that the bottom coil doesn't wrap around as far as the stock original springs do.

Usually once the weight of the body and drive train and other such components are on them they will sit in the cup better and things will settle in. I wouldn't expect perfect though with the design of these springs and components... especially when combining aftermarket parts and suspension lift.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Shock Boots should be at the top of the shocks as well.

Not in this case. Note the writing on the shock is correct, so this is how Bilstein expects this particular shock to be mounted.

Not all front stem-mount Bilstein shocks are set up that way, but some are. So the clue is always the factory applied decal (and of course, the mounts) in situations like this.

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul - Correct, I was thinking original shock mounts with the Shock Post on the top. Newer pictures explain.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I can offer some help now but honestly until I get back to the shop, I won't be able to give as much as I'd like.

The T-Rex arm has a cast-machined head unit that attaches to the front of the arm with two 5/8" bolts. The head unit is what mounts the arm to the axle. On the top of the head unit are two bolt holes. those holes are there to give you two coil spring retainer mounting options. Originally there was only one hole which paired with the other mounting hole on top of the C cap. This second hole on the head unit allows for more mounting options as well as offering a solution for minimizing the coil spring bow. You will find that the front end of a bronco is not always square and there are quite a few out there that have unsquare coil buckets. This second hole also allows you to extend your axle forward 1". Just keep in mind, If you want to gain that extra inch, the upper shock mounts may have to move an inch back. It just depends on what mounts you are using and if you're running 1 or 2 shocks per corner.

As you probably noticed, the stock style lower spring retainer is not flat on the bottom and the top of the head unit is flat and wider then the front of a stock radius arm. This wider flat base causes your spring retainer to sit funny. In this situation you have a few options. You can tighten them down with a 3/8 air ratchet till they flatten out(most preferred method), modify (heat and flatten) them or buy different retainers like the ones we designed & sell for these arms.

If that doesn't help I'll be at the shop tomorrow and believe I have those spring retainers in stock and can simulate what you're up against and figure it out.

MM

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Thanks Monster Mike! I am just not sure why this is so hard. They look way off. Please let me know what you recommend to run with your T Rex arms.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Where is the trac Bar? How is your axle centered in the frame? Without a trac bar the axle will end up where it wants.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
From what I can see it looks like the spring cup is being held up an inch or so by the C bushing clamp.I don't think the spring cup can go down any more without getting the C bushing to drop down a little.That might also explain your Bronco lean.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
When you go with after market parts, they don't always fit/mate with other original parts. Like Monster Mike said, you need a FLAT BOTTOM lower spring mount. I have Duff Long arms and went through the same thing, (Original design not fitting flat).

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Monster Mike! I am just not sure why this is so hard. They look way off. Please let me know what you recommend to run with your T Rex arms.

Hey Jamie! I haven't forgot about you. Just been slammed with end of year end of month to do's.

Short quick answer is buy our lower coil retainers but I still want to look at your situation at the shop. I know you paid good money for those retainers and they are very nice. Hopefully we can find a way to make them work.

Email me a reminder so I can get with you on this asap
monstermikeduff@gmail.com

Here is a link to our lower coil reatainers.

https://www.dufftuff.com/Heavy_Duty_Lower_Coil_Spring_Retainers_Bronco_p/5120.htm

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Jamie,

Unless you are going for a stock look it is hard to deny the simple logic of Mikes HD Duff coil retainers. It would be hard for me to even imagine going back to the stock type.
Either way Mike will take care of ya Buddy,