• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with Pwr Steering Diagnosis

ft bronc

Loc.
Greater Cincinnati
I need some help with this one. I've got a stock '73 with factory PS. Rebuilt pump, gear box untouched since it left the factory.

Almost overnight I started getting strange pulsation back through the steering wheel when going around normal street corners (both directions) - no problems at all at freeway speeds. It feels like the pump cutting out, so considering I had about a year and half on a rebuilt pump, I installed another.

No good - exact same problem. And now I noticed that the pump reservoir around the pressure out, the pressure line and the gear box where the lines go in and out are all HOT - too hot to hold your hand on - after only making a couple laps around the block. I'm not sure if they were hot just before changing the pump as I really didn't check.

I'm now assuming it's got something to do with the gear box, but in all my years working on Ford cars & trucks, I've never had a steering box problem (and consequently don't know a whole lot about them as I've never had problems to fix!). Anyone got any ideas?

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
It sounds like u are having a pressure return problem. Either from the fluid not being able to leave the box from an obstruction in the return line or a problem with the check valve inside the gearbox. If the return line is old it can have a piece of the inner liner come partially loose and act like a one way flapper valve like what happens with old school brake lines. Either problem would cause the fluid to take on excess pressure and become very hot. Hope this helps. BTW those gearboxes are very easy to go through and reseal. I just did one last week and if the guy hasnt put it on his ride yet ill get it back and post the process for everyone to see.

OP
OP
F

ft bronc

Loc.
Greater Cincinnati
It sounds like u are having a pressure return problem. Either from the fluid not being able to leave the box from an obstruction in the return line or a problem with the check valve inside the gearbox. If the return line is old it can have a piece of the inner liner come partially loose and act like a one way flapper valve like what happens with old school brake lines. Either problem would cause the fluid to take on excess pressure and become very hot. Hope this helps. BTW those gearboxes are very easy to go through and reseal. I just did one last week and if the guy hasnt put it on his ride yet ill get it back and post the process for everyone to see.

I'm pretty sure things are flowing OK as I drained the old fluid by disconnecting the return line from the pump & ran the motor for a few seconds collecting the fluid in a jug, but I'll definitely check it again.

That's be awesome if you could do a write-up on going through a steering box!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm pretty sure things are flowing OK as I drained the old fluid by disconnecting the return line from the pump & ran the motor for a few seconds collecting the fluid in a jug, but I'll definitely check it again.

That's be awesome if you could do a write-up on going through a steering box!

Why re-invent the wheel, or the manual.

Attachments

• Ford saginaw manual part 1.pdf
    144.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Ford saginaw manual part 2.pdf
    268.7 KB · Views: 24