• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HID H4 Headlights H4 Projector Retrofit - a patient build thread

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Was out last night and WOW what a great upgrade! Thats all for today. Got the new H4 sockets in yesterday too so I'll wire those up tomorrow most likely.

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
Its possible. The Morimotos were a little longer so it would depend on how you choose to mount these. You could move the projector closer to the glass to take up some of the room or you could mod your battery tray. It would depend on the size of your battery too. I'd be willing to bet that you could make it work with a bit of Macgyvering. It would be worth it IMO.

So I understand that the Morimotos are probably better quality, but do you notice a big difference in output between your X & the Bronco? Just curious because the Morimotos are twice the price.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
So I understand that the Morimotos are probably better quality, but do you notice a big difference in output between your X & the Bronco? Just curious because the Morimotos are twice the price.

Not a marketed difference. If the Bronco were my DD and I drove a lot at night I'd get the morimotos. Don't get me wrong, the G3's still light up the night like a newer luxury vehicle - they're great. If you do go with the G3's I recommend the shield modification that I did.

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
Cool, thanks. I decided for half the cost to go with the G3s & ordered them up yesterday. This should still be a huge improvement from my 5 year old HID conversion kit. Any chance you could post up a pic of the finished & installed housings?

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Cool, thanks. I decided for half the cost to go with the G3s & ordered them up yesterday. This should still be a huge improvement from my 5 year old HID conversion kit. Any chance you could post up a pic of the finished & installed housings?

Sure - I drove it today so just went out and snapped a few pics.
Last two pics show the passenger side housing and the mounting location I chose for the controller box and ballast on the passenger side.

If you look closely you can see the difference in color sealant from the drivers side (gray) to the passenger side (black). You can also see that I used too much sealant. Its not noticable unless you're right up on it looking closely. If I were to redo it I wouldn't use nearly as much sealant which would result in a cleaner end-product.

Note to self - paint the sides of the radator!

Attachments

• retro 3.jpg
    retro 3.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 134
  • retro 4.jpg
    retro 4.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 143
  • retro 5.jpg
    retro 5.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 152
  • retro.jpg
    retro.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 135
  • retro 2.jpg
    retro 2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 127

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I have been watching this thread since the first post. How "off road worthy" do you beleive your project is? I'd also be interested in the high beam performance.

Dan

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I have been watching this thread since the first post. How "off road worthy" do you beleive your project is? I'd also be interested in the high beam performance.

Dan

They are mounted as securely as the originals so there's no issue with the stability of the lights. I would not recommend using this setup if you plan on crossing a deep river or diving into a mud hole (*cough* Skiddy *cough*). Additionally I'd be concerned if you plan on getting a lot of water in that area. You could most likely figure a way to seal them better. My truck is just a fair weather crusier and I feel confiedent that they are sealed adequately for road conditions and the occasional rain storm/car wash.

I don't have any high beam pics at the moment - next time I'm out @ night I'll try and get some

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
What would be perfect is if you could arrange to meet a fellow Bronco friend with Halogen H4's on a dark road somewhere and get a head to head comparison. I'm OK with my H4's, but I am always willing to upgrade a bit.

Sealing may be an issue for me. I don't have inner fenders on my Bronco. I have not had any issues with my Hella H4's, they came with a rubber boot to help seal up the area around the socket though. I don't normally go mudding, but I do occasionally do deep water crossings. Only once did I submerge the headlights though. Even my H4's would have had issues with that though. Luckily that was when I was running sealed beams.

Dan

crtilghman

i just put new kc headlights in mine today no special wiring plug and play and man there is a big difference in them wow i can see at night

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Always nice to get a good beam out there. Didn't know that KC finally got into the replacement headlamp business. 'Bout time!
Is that the lexan lens models, or do they make different ones?

Paul