• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Projector HID Headlights - Complete Kits

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Shipped out two more this morning. Chrome/Chrome and a Flat Black/Flat Black set. Here are a couple of pics to show the difference.

d83c123a-2d9d-28b2.jpg

d83c123a-2daa-93d9.jpg

d83c123a-2db5-fb6b.jpg

Sporto

Tom,
I got the other set today. They look AWESOME!!! All blacked out like that! I am going to swap those out with the chrome one's in the Bronco and re-aim them lower per your suggestion. I can't wait to get these installed!

Thanks again for everything!

;D

Rich

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
What are the difference between yours and mine?

I got 2 kits and and made my own. I even have led running lights. Grand total $150 shipped for both sets, what's the difference between mine and yours except the price, mine are all glass lenses too? Not trying to berate your product but I am up for another set and wondering what the differences are, if they are better I will buy them instead, but it seems the output and lumens and everything is the same as per the upper posts. They even had the tinted or all black ones too. This set even included instruction, I was able to understand and follow. Drilling the holes took longer than the install. All of 1 hour..Mo

t1012_HLOBeamHIDProj

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I got 2 kits and and made my own. I even have led running lights. Grand total $150 shipped for both sets, what's the difference between mine and yours except the price, mine are all glass lenses too? Not trying to berate your product but I am up for another set and wondering what the differences are, if they are better I will buy them instead, but it seems the output and lumens and everything is the same as per the upper posts. They even had the tinted or all black ones too. This set even included instruction, I was able to understand and follow. Drilling the holes took longer than the install. All of 1 hour..Mo

t1012_HLOBeamHIDProj

I'm glad you asked as there is a very big difference.

I'll break it down for you in a few sections but it really comes down to the projector, what you have is a piece of glass installed in a housing to make it 'look' like a projector but in reality that thing isn't doing anything but causing distortion. I have purchased these and have taken them apart as part of my research.

Here's the breakdown:

The housing that you have with that piece of glass in the middle still works the same as any regular H4 housing. The HID bulb that you're using is relying on the housing to reflect the light off of the bowl and out onto the streeet. This is a very bad idea for two reasons:
1) you're not containing the amount of light
2) the light is being scattered everywhere - its as if you are driving with your high beams on. This will blind oncoming drivers and you wont make any friends ;D

My housing is just used as a home for the projector - it serves no other purpose besides a secure mount and protection against the elements.

My projector is a sealed unit that contains a reflective bowl, a very specific projector lens and a soleniod-activated cutoff shield. It uses the same amount of light that you're using but instead of scattering it about, its being focused and projected out with a very distinct cutoff so as not to cause blinding of other drivers.

To prove this, park your bronco about 20 feet away from a flat wall at night and take a picture, I bet you'll see two large blobs of light that extend 10ft high. Compare that pic to the picture that I have in post #1. Next, walk in front of your bronco and face it as if you were an oncoming car and you'll see how blinding the light is. Your approach may have saved you some money but its not the safe way to go about this.

If you're not wiling to pay my prices I suggest keeping your stock lights or going with some cibie or autopal e-codes with a headlight harness upgrade and some 55W silverstar bulbs. Please don't keep those lights in your Bronco as-is, its very dangerous.

Sporto

Most retrofit HID setups create an amazing amount of glare since the placement and design of the basic HID bulb does not reside in the focal point of the stock housing. The light pictured is a "projector" housing, whereas a halogen or HID bulb can be fit into the back of the headlight bowl and the reflector is still utilized.

A true projector is a complete housing that contains the HID bulb and allows for the clean cutoff line that you see in the pictures on this thread.

While your system looks like a true HID projector it is not.

Here is a link to an Ebay auction for a similar set of retrofits with projectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55w-HID-REA...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3357ba159c

So the 300.00 price tag is not outrageous for what you're getting.

The idea of projector housings versus actual projectors is a common misconception.

if there is any question about what projectors look like here is a sample auction of some decent ones on Ebay. These unfortunately will not work with Early Broncos since they are too deep and will interfere with the battery on the passenger side. I think that is where Heus33 made a breakthrough by finding an actual projector and housing that will work with our setups and not need any mods to fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1-Morimoto...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aaf54d232#ht_2515wt_1398

:cool:

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I'm glad you asked as there is a very big difference.

I'll break it down for you in a few sections but it really comes down to the projector, what you have is a piece of glass installed in a housing to make it 'look' like a projector but in reality that thing isn't doing anything but causing distortion. I have purchased these and have taken them apart as part of my research.

Here's the breakdown:

The housing that you have with that piece of glass in the middle still works the same as any regular H4 housing. The HID bulb that you're using is relying on the housing to reflect the light off of the bowl and out onto the streeet. This is a very bad idea for two reasons:
1) you're not containing the amount of light
2) the light is being scattered everywhere - its as if you are driving with your high beams on. This will blind oncoming drivers and you wont make any friends ;D

My housing is just used as a home for the projector - it serves no other purpose besides a secure mount and protection against the elements.

My projector is a sealed unit that contains a reflective bowl, a very specific projector lens and a soleniod-activated cutoff shield. It uses the same amount of light that you're using but instead of scattering it about, its being focused and projected out with a very distinct cutoff so as not to cause blinding of other drivers.

To prove this, park your bronco about 20 feet away from a flat wall at night and take a picture, I bet you'll see two large blobs of light that extend 10ft high. Compare that pic to the picture that I have in post #1. Next, walk in front of your bronco and face it as if you were an oncoming car and you'll see how blinding the light is. Your approach may have saved you some money but its not the safe way to go about this.

If you're not wiling to pay my prices I suggest keeping your stock lights or going with some cibie or autopal e-codes with a headlight harness upgrade and some 55W silverstar bulbs. Please don't keep those lights in your Bronco as-is, its very dangerous.

I'll admit I didn't totally understand the difference until just now but was still sold on'em thanks to the pics and vid! Great explanation.

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
Haven't seen them lit up yet, but they're installed. Here's a before and after comparison of my set:

H4 Headlamps:
bumper-right.jpg

HID Projectors (black):
radiator-shield.jpg

Tom - these are great! Just what I was looking for to darken up the front-end of the rig and get rid of the chrome.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Great! Now have Darin tint those white turn signals with some VHT NiteShades and you'll be almost completely blacked out. :cool:

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
Haven't seen them lit up yet, but they're installed. Here's a before and after comparison of my set:

H4 Headlamps:
bumper-right.jpg

HID Projectors (black):
radiator-shield.jpg

Tom - these are great! Just what I was looking for to darken up the front-end of the rig and get rid of the chrome.

Dayum!!!! Those look awesome!!!!

x2 on tinting the turn signals that would look even better.

As soon as I get through my EFI swap this will be my next purchase.

4lofun

I would like to see more installed pictures.. I want to get the chrome/chrome 4300k style..

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Took some videos this morning:

[youtube]agGsgJlA7Bo[/youtube]

[youtube]DYTiYYbhM88[/youtube]

[youtube]HWpCEiC6hhI[/youtube]

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Update:

I am now offering a few additional ballast options for those looking to upgrade to either a 55W ballast or a OEM type ballast. See post 1 for details.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Check out this combo - textured housing with a bright red shroud. Theres no lens on this one yet but I wanted to show off the detail.

Attachments

• DSC_0085.jpg
    DSC_0085.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Just built another sweet set of lights this morning - these have flat black shrouds and the chrome housing - depending on the angle they look black or gray or chrome with a black accent. These might be my favorite so far.

Attachments

• DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 118

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I love the look of this set not that the others don't look good. I wish the wife would give the okay to buy a set but she wants me to get a Dana 44 and exhaust first damn shes picky LOL.