• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holy Hydroboost, Batman!!!

bsquared

Contributor
I can sure see why so many peeps say the Hydroboost is the best upgrade they've done! I can't say that.....5.0L + ZF was my best upgrade, but Holy Hell, I can't believe these brakes!

I bought a 74 Dana 44 w/ 76 Bronco knuckles a few years back, but never got my master cylinder matched up right and didn't have a proper proportional valve to get it balanced. Followed other builds and went with the 2006 F250 Hydro unit and an 85 Dodge 150 master cyl.

Seems most of the kids were making a 1/2" thick plate to clock the hydro unit 90 degrees as opposed to the master cyl, so I welded two 1/4" plates together and milled them to fit.

I learned that I SUCK at making double flare brake lines so I ended up buying some long pieces w/ factory ends and used compress fittings on the connection to my existing lines at the frame.

Like others, I threaded the rod out of the hydro unit and the left over rod from the junk MC to 1/8" NPT to get the right pedal height.

Been dialing in the prop valve cut-off to the rears last night and tonight. I think it's there and Holy Moly, I can't believe the stopping power! Still getting used to lightening up on the pedal. Very nice upgrade! A few pics:

Cheers, B2

Attachments

• 1PropValvetoRear.JPG
    1PropValvetoRear.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 265
  • 2PlateCheck.JPG
    2PlateCheck.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 3PlateBore.JPG
    3PlateBore.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 4LinesCooler3.JPG
    4LinesCooler3.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 210
  • 6LinesReturnY.JPG
    6LinesReturnY.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 6LinesSide.JPG
    6LinesSide.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 7FinSide.JPG
    7FinSide.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 8FinFront.JPG
    8FinFront.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 9ThreadRod.jpg
    9ThreadRod.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 203

Tstinnett

I can sure see why so many peeps say the Hydroboost is the best upgrade they've done! I can't say that.....5.0L + ZF was my best upgrade, but Holy Hell, I can't believe these brakes!

I bought a 74 Dana 44 w/ 76 Bronco knuckles a few years back, but never got my master cylinder matched up right and didn't have a proper proportional valve to get it balanced. Followed other builds and went with the 2006 F250 Hydro unit and an 85 Dodge 150 master cyl.

Seems most of the kids were making a 1/2" thick plate to clock the hydro unit 90 degrees as opposed to the master cyl, so I welded two 1/4" plates together and milled them to fit.

I learned that I SUCK at making double flare brake lines so I ended up buying some long pieces w/ factory ends and used compress fittings on the connection to my existing lines at the frame.

Like others, I threaded the rod out of the hydro unit and the left over rod from the junk MC to 1/8" NPT to get the right pedal height.

Been dialing in the prop valve cut-off to the rears last night and tonight. I think it's there and Holy Moly, I can't believe the stopping power! Still getting used to lightening up on the pedal. Very nice upgrade! A few pics:

Cheers, B2
Welcome to the club! Got my Astro hydroboost running a few weekends ago. Without a doubt, one of the most satisfying upgrades I have done. Those first few hard stops at speed are priceless once you're brave enough to "really" start pushing the limits of traction testing out how well the front/rear bias is or isn't dialed in....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
On my wish list....

4 wheel non-power disc is great but I really look forward to the hydro-boost....

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Its definitely a top 5 in my book... 351W, lockers, E.D.I.S. fuel injection are some of the other top 5...

POPPAWS BRONCO

Loc.
Horn Lake, Ms.
The first time I drove mine with hydroboost upgrade I could tell I had very good stoping power after a few miles and regular breaking and learning the pedal. I told my buddy to hold on to something I'm gonna really see what they do under emergency breaking (I'll add here my rig had the seat belts removed by my grandfather years ago). I put the peddle to the floor doing 55mph. My buddy said from his close proximity to the windshield the front bumper was about to touch the pavement. Holy Hydroboost Batman lol! Thanks for for bringing that memory back to my mind. And go light on the pedal unless you really need it.

Hey!!! Let me hold a dollar I'm in the middle of a restore here!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When I first did mine I thought I did something wrong. I had adapted to bad brakes so much that it was a steep learning curve on what great brakes were. After adapting back to good brakes, yes one of the best upgrades ever. Nearly as good as power steering.

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Its definitely a top 5 in my book... 351W, lockers, E.D.I.S. fuel injection are some of the other top 5...

Well put......Maybe not THE premiere upgrade, but certainly deserves an honorable mention! Thanks for the replies and no shit, I keep freaking myself out when I even think of pushing on the brakes. I have yet to garner the courage and really hit 'em hard at 55mph like Poppaw is talking about.

Hmmm.....Today is Friday, might be time for some excitement! Cheers, B2

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
looks good. I need to figure out how to adapt my ford plastic tank CII pump to a hydroboost eventually. Some constructive criticism if I may:
First you shouldn't really use compression fittings on brake lines. Not what they're meant for and they can fail. You can buy a decent double flare tool for under $100, the cheap tools are probably what makes you think you suck at making them.
Second on the threaded connector under the dash make sure you use some loctite or double nut it so it cant turn off. I say this from experience, I had a 95 chevy pickup I added hydroboost to and about 2 years after I did it the coupler finally turned itself up the hydroboost rod that when I hit the brake pedal it wasn't connected to anything just flopping around. Luckily I was just in my driveway and slowly rolled into my old man's pickup but it could've been so much worse.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I broke down and got a hydraulic flaring tool with all the dies. Not the cheap way out, but one of the better tool purchases I have made. I got the AN dies and have even done a few AN hard line fittings. The right tool really makes a difference. Really nice when you want to do something like metric on one side and SAE on the other, without stacking adaptors.

toddsrods

it is high on my list too. The Astro hydro made an incredible difference in mine. Would do again.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I broke down and got a hydraulic flaring tool with all the dies. Not the cheap way out, but one of the better tool purchases I have made. I got the AN dies and have even done a few AN hard line fittings. The right tool really makes a difference. Really nice when you want to do something like metric on one side and SAE on the other, without stacking adaptors.

Same here. Bought the cam-operated model that Eastwood sells. Don't know how I survived all those years without it.;)

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
times Eleventeen on getting those compression fittings out of the brake system. For the reasons mentioned.

Congrats on now having truly functioning brakes!