• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horrible Shudder

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The driveline actually can vibrate in each of the directions. Acelleration raises the pinion and decelleration lowers the pinion. But as he just mentioned, not likely to do both because of angle. It's usually just one or the other.
HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however, when a CV (double-cardan) goes out, whether one or both of the u-joints, OR the centering yoke, it gives some pretty wierd symptoms. And each person I know who's had one go bad seems to each have experienced different symptoms. Which of course makes it a bear to diagnose.
So you just never know...

As to how to tell? Not a clue. Easiest would be to borrow a known good unit and see if it still does it. Having someone around to loan you one though, now that's not always easy!
You could pull it of and move the joints through the motions by hand to see if there's any point at which you have binding, or looseness, or anything "funny". But you'd have to physically take it apart to see if the internals are damaged in any way.
You said it's got new joints? All of them? Has the centering yoke been greased lately as well? There's that female grease fitting buried in between the yokes that needs to get a squirt now and then.
There is the ball and a spring and such inside, but it's been so long I can't remember just how it comes apart. I did it without a book and it fought me for awhile. I imagine with the proper instructions it's just a couple of minutes worth of work.
Maybe someone here has done it recently and can tell you what to do.

Paul