• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

horrible turn coming!

methcat

Loc.
long beach
man i can't believe this...

i haven't talked to the owner yet so i'm gonna hold specific name calling till monday, but i dropped of my 44 housing (with rusty gears and a lunchbox locker) at a gear shop like two weeks ago. got verbally quoted $400 to turn my knuckles and replace the bearings and seals (no new setup, just use the old shims and toss it back together for a temp driver). he told me he'd call if it got any worse.... well, they called today and, whaaa? $1100.

told i have to wait till monday to speak with the owner. worst part is, i felt so comfortable with the owner originally when i talked to him, i think i even walked out without the paper invoice. they wound up re-setting up, painting, charging $450 for just the turning.... even currie isn't near that expensive.

man i feel a screwing coming. if i can't get the $ down, i'll have to just donate it to the shop and start over, and then i still worry about them coming after me anyway....

hey, how bout that, just needed to vent. thanks guys....

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Written estimate?
sounds like small claims court to me.

Judge Judy

OP
OP
methcat

methcat

Loc.
long beach
only whatever he decided to write in after the fact... i remember filling out my contact info so he could get back to me, but that was it... screwed...

think i'll go drink for a while.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmm , if things don't get straightend out for ya , feel free to post his home and business numbers , address's and the like here. :)

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Hmmm , if things don't get straightend out for ya , feel free to post his home and business numbers , address's and the like here. :)

X2 I'm sure there are more than a few of us who could make a phone call. I've seen a lot of shops do extra work so they can charge for it. Nothing makes me madder, it unethical, downright wrong.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Your supposed to get a call for approval on any costs that will be more than (i believe) 20% of the original estimate. Although, without anything in writing you may be screwed on that point. Hopefully the owner helps you out.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
call around and get some est from other shops so you have some ammo when you talk to the owner, also see if you can find a similar axle on ebay for less.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Your supposed to get a call for approval on any costs that will be more than (i believe) 20% of the original estimate. Although, without anything in writing you may be screwed on that point. Hopefully the owner helps you out.

I think california is even more strict. Anything over the estimate needs approval.

I am waiting to hear what the owner says.

I remember a few stories about fresh transmissions that leaked that were sent in for a reseal and the tech accidently did a full rebuild.

the shop made the deal for free labor and parts at cost.

OP
OP
methcat

methcat

Loc.
long beach
I am waiting to hear what the owner says.

me too, that's why i'm so perplexed. they actually have fairly good reviews thoughout the internet, and he seemed so amenable. the "messenger" i talked to said he was able to contact the owner and he told him to "re-iterate" the expensive invoice... how does someone go from telling me to go the budget route with my old pitted gears and no re-setup, to almost tripling the cost and still using the old just parts?

i've been spending all day reading up on the california bureau of automotive repair and small claims court. one guy at my work who's had similar things happen suggested that if they don't take some amount close to the original estimate, to actually pay the full amount to get the property back before going to small claims... this seemed counter intuitive to me, but i've never done this before. he said twice when this happened to him, he just backcharged the credit cards and then went to small claims. sounds like a good way to get sent to collections (right or wrong)...

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I guess you could always select the "extra" things they did when they present an invoice, tell them you didn't approve or request that work and refuse to pay for it. Then ask why the price for the work you did request is more expensive than the amount you were quoted. That kind of backs them into a corner by having to justify the departure of prices and work performed.

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California

Yeah since when do shops do all sorts of extra work just for the hell of it with no approval and then expect to be compensated. I don't know of any professional shops where they do whatever the hell they want above and beyond what you ask for and want payment.

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
You have a problem if you don't have a written estimate to take to small claims. The small claims judges assume that all parties are lying, therefore the paper trail is the only truth they consider. Your buddy is absolutely right about paying full to get your property back, other wise they will slap a mechanics lean on it and own it legally. Also until you actually pay the over charge, you haven't suffered any damage's to recover in court. You also need to be carefull about back charging after you pay. You may be safe enough if you are back charging on a credit card, but what ever you do don't write a check then stop payment on it. That is considered criminal fraud and trouble you don't need. You may have recourse through the consumer affairs dept. in your county. In Colorado it is part of the District Attorney's office. In Colorado a shop is required by law to provide a written estimate. If necessary they can do a exploratory tear down to estimate internal damage, and they are only allowed to charge a predetermined amount. That amount is set by the State and it includes reassembly if the customer refuses the estimate. If the customer chooses to repair, the shop cannot exceed the written estimate. If hidden cost are encountered, the customer must approve each and every added expense BEFORE it is added. If California has a law like that, and you were not provided the required estimate, you may have some legal leverage in that case.

yjzonie

Loc.
Scottsdale, AZ
In California, a oral contract is as good as a written one, but a written one is a lot easier way of winning a case.

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
This may sound kind of lame but I had a similar incident (extra charges) for some work that I had done to my house. As soon as I told the individual that I was in argument with that I was going to call my local T.V. station he shut up real quick. Like I said, kinda lame but it worked.

friar93

Loc.
BOSTON
That sux...

dont do anything that hurts YOUR credibility: stop payment, etc. that will never help you

the shop is TOTALLY wrong not to call you on the increased labor. I would explain that 1)the estimate is totally a surprise based on your specific discussions wiht them and no call about increase 2) triple their estimate, and 3) you simply do not have the money and wouldnt do the work if it was this much. Offer the most you can: $500 and tell them you unfortunately would have to walk away if its more.

If the owner is reasonable and you are willing to walk away from the parts theres a chance the shop would rather take $500 instead of nothing.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That sux...

dont do anything that hurts YOUR credibility: stop payment, etc. that will never help you

the shop is TOTALLY wrong not to call you on the increased labor. I would explain that 1)the estimate is totally a surprise based on your specific discussions wiht them and no call about increase 2) triple their estimate, and 3) you simply do not have the money and wouldnt do the work if it was this much. Offer the most you can: $500 and tell them you unfortunately would have to walk away if its more.

If the owner is reasonable and you are willing to walk away from the parts theres a chance the shop would rather take $500 instead of nothing.

There's some good advice ....

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
I also agree. Other then a bad rep the last thing this owner wants is a Dana44. Don't get nasty with him. Remain cool, but empahasis again and again the amount he quoted you. Any reasonable shop owner would contact the customer if the repair costs almost tripled the original estimate.