• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hosed on a power steering box :(

barronj

Bronco Guru
I paid a pretty good amount ($400 shipped) for a 76 box from a guy in my state (TX), and it showed up with a fresh coat of black paint on it. My truck ('68) had a '73 box on it that leaked a small amount, but I wanted the fewer turns to lock, and no more leaks.

I put his box on, and it leaked everywhere; I thought it was coming out of the snout (where the steering shaft hooks up) but it might have also been coming out of the bottom. Furious, I asked him WTH?, and he said "worked fine when I pulled it off!"... total bs, and I'm pist, but I can get through it.

Let me stop the story and say that if you're looking to get your box rebuilt, just send it to West Texas Offroad & don't screw around with anything else. It's worth it.

What I did, instead: I ordered the rebuild kit with both bearings from Tom's for $65, then I took the box & the kit to a mechanic that I was referred to, 45 minutes south of me. The mechanic quoted 2.5 hours at $75/hour, which we negotiated down to 2 hours. At this juncture, I'm better off having sent it to WTO, since $150 + $65 + my time = greater effort and expenditure than just mailing it off to WTO to rebuild for $140 + the ride both ways.
THEN, the mechanic tells me that the main shaft is too boogered to ever seal correctly, and that this box is junk. HOLY F_CK am I steamed at this point. I still have to drive 1.5hours round trip to get my box back, and give the mechanic beers for being cool about the time invested in tearing it down.

I'm somewhat torn on what to do. I can send the '73 box to WTO & have them do the quick steering conversion & rebuild it (and they said they would shave a little off if I sent them the TBP seal/bearing kit) for $290.
-or-
I can send them both boxes & get one back, and I'm under the impression that the charges would be minimal.
However, I really want to send this box back to the seller & demand my money back. I have already demanded my money back, and told him that I was sending his box back. I don't mind filing on the seller in small claims court if he stalls me out, out of principal. Driving to Dallas would suck for $400, and it would cost me $100 to file against him, but I have to take tenants to court with some regularity, so the procedural part of it is like taking a puppy out to pee, for me.

Please talk me off the ledge. The weather is nice, and I've been without the bronco for a few weeks now. Which road should I take?

ChrisC74

I am guessing since you are talking about small claims court you do not expect any satisfaction or anything but "it worked fine for me" from the seller?

I would have another go at him before wasting time / expense of court - it may be hard to prove anything with used parts.

In the mean time - I would send your box off to WTO - they did a great job for me and turned it around quickly. It will be the fastest way to get back on the road.

I seem to bat 50/50 on buying used parts but I will say that when I have had a glaring problem the sellers have tried and most of the time made it right. Hopefully yours will see the light and take the part back for a refund.

PaveBronco

That sucks, I'm assuming the mechanic said your selector shaft was boogered up, around the bottom where the seals ride? just did mine and thats where is was pitted and rusty. I thought about cleaning it up and maybe getting that part chromed to build the material back up. After the clean-up it sealed, there are two seals in the selector shaft. You can swap your 73 selector shaft they're all the same. Can you post a pic of the boogered up bit? Wish I'd Known, I'd have done it for you, could have met in West, love that Polish bakery.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would send the 73 gb to WTO and try to get the seller to return your money. This way you have a driving bronco in a week verses months.

Eugene

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Man that does suck. You're so far down the rabbit hole there's not a real good/cheap way out.

I said screw it and bought the Borgeson delph box. Found it on Ebay for aa good price with free shipping. Been doing me well for the past 2 plus years.

Tim

Last edited:

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The quick ratio conversion involves replacing the sector shaft with one from a 4x4 Astro van. maybe get some of your $$ back from the seller and send Matt @ West Texas the 76' box since it need a sector shaft anyhow??

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
I have had a similar experience with a lift that I purchased... Showed up missing half the shocks and one of he coil springs!!! Just have to be careful where you purchase your used items. One particular individual I have written off... No matter how bad I need a certain item I will not buy it from him....

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The quick ratio conversion involves replacing the sector shaft with one from a 4x4 Astro van. maybe get some of your $$ back from the seller and send Matt @ West Texas the 76' box since it need a sector shaft anyhow??

I dont think the bronco saginaw box uses that shaft. Im pretty sure thats a delphi box your talking about. With the stock bronco box. You use the same shaft you only need to replace the piston and wrom to get the quick ratio in a bronco box.

To the OP.
Keep the box you wont get your money or have a box. Used parts are used parts its going to be kinda hard to make any claims in court and its probably not even worth the effort. Not saying its right but its your choice.
What id do is pull your 73 box apart the sector shaft from it will fit the 76 box. Along with a reseal it should be fine. its not that hard to reseal the box.
As was said you can always speedi sleeve the seal area. Or maybe even give WTO a call and see if they can fix the sector shaft. Then you could have your 73 box rebuilt and either have a spare or sell it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Not trying to hi-jack but...

Does this forum/site need a "vendors rating" so the SOB's that try to rip us off can be hung out to dry?

Corral Net uses a "vendors rating" system and it works pretty well. Can't stop all the crooks but sure would expose a lot of the crooks ...

Just a thought

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I didnt have near the money invested but I bought some traction bars awhile back.. guy decided he didnt need them after he installed them. Yeah bs. Once I got em one of the bars was bent. Pissed me off but wasnt worth the hassel of fighting over it. Hate to here about the box though...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not trying to hi-jack but...

Does this forum/site need a "vendors rating" so the SOB's that try to rip us off can be hung out to dry?

Corral Net uses a "vendors rating" system and it works pretty well. Can't stop all the crooks but sure would expose a lot of the crooks ...

Just a thought

Sounds more like this was a private sale not from a vendor.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the input. Broncnaz, I'm going to ask them if they can/will speedi sleeve it. If they can't, I'll just send them both boxes, I guess. The local market for a box is luke warm at best, so I'm not going to sit on a box hoping to resell it any longer.

It was a CL deal. The guy didn't mention anything about classicbroncos.com, don't even know if he's a member here.

I'll probably just take my lumps & reflect on all the great deals I've gotten on CL/ebay, and ignore the "not quite as advertised" transactions.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Can't put a speedi-sleeve on the pitman shaft. Well you could, you would just never get it through the bearings afterward. I've JB welded pits in the seal area of a shaft before. You can also drive the seals further up and use extra washers to get the seal on a good area of the shaft.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I could use the steering box shell if you have to part one out. I have a cracked box that needs replaced.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I've been there with you a few times. They usually don't end up well unfortunately. Small claims would be a waste of time/money. If you don't get it reconciled, I'd at least hope you could put his user name up here, so that we could all be aware.

That said, hope it does work out for you with the return of the box. I've sold a couple of things that didn't work as well as I thought they did and refunded or compensated for it. Let us know how it goes.