• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hot Deal on Hydroboost Angle Bracket

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Very nice - more pictures of your power steering setup please... :)

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Very nice - more pictures of your power steering setup please... :)

Thanks. PS gear is a ViperBuilt '76 4-turn OEM box. Currently plumbing that along with the PSC reservoir to the Explorer pump (rebuilt by Lee Manufacturing). Also have a small cooler mounted now. Converting everything to AN fittings and hose.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Thanks. PS gear is a ViperBuilt '76 4-turn OEM box. Currently plumbing that along with the PSC reservoir to the Explorer pump (rebuilt by Lee Manufacturing). Also have a small cooler mounted now. Converting everything to AN fittings and hose.

Yeah, I'm interested in your reservoir setup. I had PSC put together a built pump in an Explorer bracket (now WH sells it to all of you guys) and the Explorer reservoir sucks. Just curious to see how it clears the hood and how the feed angle looks.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Yeah, I'm interested in your reservoir setup. I had PSC put together a built pump in an Explorer bracket (now WH sells it to all of you guys) and the Explorer reservoir sucks. Just curious to see how it clears the hood and how the feed angle looks.

I've got the stock hood and a 1" body lift. Clearance sux. The reservoir sits directly below the crossmember. So I built an extension and moved the res. back about 3".....then it was interfering with the MC:) Not sure what I'll do next. I'm trying to get the ports up as high as possible. I'll probably just hook it all up and see how it works.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Ok so-- did you have to modify the bracket linkage or the booster? As I am reading this I am thinking it was the bracket linkage that is cut and re-threaded and not the booster.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I only modified the booster pushrod. The bracket comes with a clevis rod end similar to this:

z-gai-ka-stz.jpg

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
So I picked up an Astro unit last night. Bolts STILL don't line up. Something definitely wrong.....Can anyone measure the bolt spacing for me on the bracket?

Astro unit fits sided to side but the holes as 3/4" off top to bottom

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
If the big bolt and lock nut that hold the pivot mechanism in place are to tight, it can bend the bracket and cause the holes to change position.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've got the stock hood and a 1" body lift. Clearance sux. The reservoir sits directly below the crossmember. So I built an extension and moved the res. back about 3".....then it was interfering with the MC:) Not sure what I'll do next. I'm trying to get the ports up as high as possible. I'll probably just hook it all up and see how it works.

Yeah - sucks.. I'm going to try and make a bracket to mount the PS pump where the A/C pump sits - should give us tons of room for a reservoir and use the little available space that is there..

u10072

Bronco Guru
Guys I hate to be the guy who says this but I still say the $140 shipped is better strictly from the fact you do not modify the Astro booster in anyway but I do understand the desire to save $50

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
If the big bolt and lock nut that hold the pivot mechanism in place are to tight, it can bend the bracket and cause the holes to change position.

Looks like my bracket aws over bent, the top and bottom are not parallel when fully disassembled. I used some extra nuts on the bell crank bolt to spread it open and install the hydroboost.

Now I need a new MC

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Typical Bronco project. Nothing is right.

Angle bracket is mounted and working.

Hydroboost replaced and mounted and working (finally)

New 1990 Astro M/C - Doesn't fit. The hole in the hydroboost is too small for the MC.

WTF!!!! Did I get a bad M/C? Can anyone measure the hole in the Hydroboost and the diameter of the M/C that inserts in to the M/C for me?

My HB Measures about 1.6" ID and the M/C measures 1.985" OD

Which one is wrong?

Thanks.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Well WTF.

I've had 8 different MCs measured and they are ALL too big.

I'm sick of this project.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Well that was damn frustrating. Apparently the "exchange" system has multiple incompatible parts listed together. They were showing Vaccuum booster to be the same as Hydroboost.

Finally took a dedicated Brake Supplier to figure it out by pulling 5 different parts to get the correct one. Their book even had it listed by the wrong years.

What a pain....

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Well that was damn frustrating. Apparently the "exchange" system has multiple incompatible parts listed together. They were showing Vaccuum booster to be the same as Hydroboost.

Finally took a dedicated Brake Supplier to figure it out by pulling 5 different parts to get the correct one. Their book even had it listed by the wrong years.

What a pain....

Ok, now you have had time to she'd your frustration........

I hope you are stopping on a dime as we speak ?

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Ok, now you have had time to she'd your frustration........

I hope you are stopping on a dime as we speak ?

Its working just a little different from the old booster. Hood barely clears and it actually moves if I push the pedal hard enough!

Still working through the kinks - bleeding, shimming, etc. It's far from a bolt on .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry if this is obvious and I just missed it, but where is the $60 difference coming from? We sell the same thing(?) for $99. Granted, that's still $8 more, but what is different about it, or the one that's 60 bucks more?

Sorry to jump in with a non-installation question, but I always like to keep up on current affairs and was curious. Since I didn't see where they claimed it was specifically for a hydroboost unit, I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

Paul

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Sorry if this is obvious and I just missed it, but where is the $60 difference coming from? We sell the same thing(?) for $99. Granted, that's still $8 more, but what is different about it, or the one that's 60 bucks more?

Sorry to jump in with a non-installation question, but I always like to keep up on current affairs and was curious. Since I didn't see where they claimed it was specifically for a hydroboost unit, I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

Paul

This guy?
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Booster_Bracket

Can I use that to mount hydroboost brakes in my 74'? Maybe because it is listed as 76-77 only people don't realize it is the same thing...