• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How did you mount your Tarus fan?

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Just looking for ideas. Interestingly enough, I searched "tarus mount" and got nothing back!

edit: but even stranger when I spell it right (Taurus) I get 16 responses. Thanks for the help!

Dan

Last edited:

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Mounting was rather straight forward. I trimmed the edges some to make sure it fit the contur of the radiator. Where it wasn't flush on one side, I put camper foam down that side to get a good seal. Once I got it fitting good, I drilled two bolt holes through the top of the fin of the radiator and the fin on the fan. For the bottom, I drilled two holes in the bottom and used this to secure it to the bottom of the radiator. http://store.summitracing.com/partd...1&part=PRM-105&N=700+-128262+115&autoview=sku

It's nice and snug. No movement and on low speed will suck paper towel to the outside of the radiator.

OP
OP
Bronchole

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Well at least I don't feel too bad now. I looked thru the 16 responses to my search for "taurus mount" and no real good info.

Fox, I am not a real big fan of thru-the-radiator strap mounts, especially on something as heavy as the Taurus fan, but thanks for the reply.

Dan

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Well at least I don't feel too bad now. I looked thru the 16 responses to my search for "taurus mount" and no real good info.

Fox, I am not a real big fan of thru-the-radiator strap mounts, especially on something as heavy as the Taurus fan, but thanks for the reply.

Dan

They aren't carrying the weight. The bolts at the top are. I added two straps at the bottom so it didn't want to move away from the bottom of the radiator at speed or on a bumpy trail.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
currently mounted using through radiator zip tie thingy's. Going to fab up a full shroud using sheetmetal at some point.

haydenjsle

Loc.
Southern CO
It's been a while since I did this but I think I mounted it vertically from how it came on the car. I also trimmed it to fit and to allow more clearance. It's kinda tight but will not rub on anything no matter how twisted up I get. The water pump pulley sits halfway between the fan motor and the shroud. I think I moved radiator back about 1/2 inch also, but didn't have to cut the core support. It's attached to my Ron Davis radiator via small bolts/nuts.

View from driver's side:

broncotaurusfan057-1.jpg

View from underneath (holes to allow for water drainage):

broncotaurusfan061-1.jpg

View from passenger side:

broncotaurusfan067-1.jpg

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Heres mine........

that's pretty much how i did mine, i made a couple L brackets for the bottom. Is there enough room on a stock engine to install one? I don't know because I have efi mustang set up.

OP
OP
Bronchole

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Keep the ideas coming, I like what I am seeing although I intend to mountmine horizontal as apposed to the vertical mounting you guys are running. It fits better on a stock size 4 core that way.

Dan

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If that is a stock sized radiator, I'm thinking I got the wrong fan...but its working like a charm right now...

OP
OP
Bronchole

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
If that is a stock sized radiator, I'm thinking I got the wrong fan...but its working like a charm right now...

You got the right fan because thoes aluminum rads in the pics are definatly taller than stock and not useing stock type mounts. But still good info anyway.

Primarily I am interested in the fan housing to radiator mounting. This may need to include details on the actual radiator mounting if the fan is not somehow directly mounted to the radiator.

What I was thinking is that my radiator is mounted to posts that are welded to the frame - it is not attached to the core support. I run a tubular core supposrt in my rig. These mounting posts use the stock type (but designed for a 4 core radiator) rubber lined mounts to hold the radiator. I was thinking that I'd like to mount the fan on these posts too so that the radiator is free to move slightly around in its mounts yet not carry the load of the fan. The fan housing would be sealed to the radiator using a foam rubber edge molding.

So much for my thoughts, lets see some other ideas.

Dan

subjb

Loc.
Napa, CA
Bronchole, sorry if I came off like a smarta$$. Wasn't trying to. I understand spelling typos, I spend alot of time writing at work. I wasn't even trying to be funny, just trying to help.

OP
OP
Bronchole

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I didn't take it as smart ass, and I am an expert on being a smart ass ;)

I took it for the humorous screw up it was. Looking back at your post I can't think of any way that it could have been put more helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I cut away the stock shroud and made some straps that run top to bottom bolted into the flanges on the radiator. I'll be fabbing my own shroud out of polished stainless. This gave me an additional 3/4" clearance over using the Taurus shroud.

Attachments

• 042008 Fan clearance.jpg
    042008 Fan clearance.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 042008 Fan Mount.jpg
    042008 Fan Mount.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 060108 Fan shroud mockup.jpg
    060108 Fan shroud mockup.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 205

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Not sure if a 351C sticks out the front farther than a 302, but with my tubular front core support, I have 5" between my aluminum radiator (thicker than a stocker) and the face water pump pulley.

jimbo11

Loc.
columbus
Tauras Fan

Just looking for ideas. Interestingly enough, I searched "tarus mount" and got nothing back!

edit: but even stranger when I spell it right (Taurus) I get 16 responses. Thanks for the help!

Dan

What year Taurus are these fans off of?

Last edited: