• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you convince the wife?

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, the title kinda says it all. How do you convince the wife that you NEED the new stone crusher steering, or the new mig welder, or that your bronco must now take over the 2 car garage so you can take it down to the frame? What is the secret?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
My brother always tells me "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask permission" (doesn't seem to work for me though)

fwilder

Mine keeps asking when I'm going to get the MIG. She's getting a welding mask for her 7 year old, so he can watch and learn.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I just keep my mouth shut and if she asks, I say one of two things...
Either I divide the real price by 3 and tell her that or I say,
"I've had that for years waiting to install it."

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I hustle side work to pay for the goodies, and now both of our rigs are 120 miles from the house. She's glad to be rid of me half the time, I just wish she missed me when I'm gone. ;D

In all seriousness, I'm honest with her, and any side money helps with the bills at the house before going into Bronco fun stuff. She's got a pretty good idea of what things cost, and why I don't buy the cheaper stuff, and how long it really takes to do a job right.

4x4x289

I constently reminder her of all the things I do around the house and with the cars, and all the money I have saved by doing it myself. My work car is a '92 oldsmobile, -it's so ugly she's not willing to drive it. Everyone needs a hobby. And the kids and she enjoy riding in the Bronco. Safety items are an easy sell too ;D

Orange Crush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Maryland
Mine has no clue what I spend, but she made me a deal that as long as I don't buy a motorcycle I can build a Bronco (or two ;D ).

Baja71

Bronco Guru
So, the title kinda says it all. How do you convince the wife that you NEED the new stone crusher steering, or the new mig welder, or that your bronco must now take over the 2 car garage so you can take it down to the frame? What is the secret?

Take the body off the frame when she's not there. If she's like most women, she will OK whatever it takes to get her spot back.... ;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had my 'pile of toys' and habit of staying in the shop all night before I married my wife. Back then I told her that I needed my truck building and wheeling hobby to keep me sane. well, 10 years later now, she knows thaqt part was a lie. ;D

I'm lucky I guess..she went from 'passive acceptance' to 'active participant' in the wheeling/camping thing slowly but surely over that last 10 years. She does not really kow what I spend on my hobby because I don't know either ( and I do not WANT to know) ..but she does not ask and really does not care. :cool:

Mark in Memphis

Honey, the steering system is 32 years old, but I'm sure it'll last a while longer. By the way, where's our son, I promised him a ride tonight.

Actually, we have a deal that if I work overtime, half of the money goes to the family budget and half goes in my pocket. Also, when I do upgrades like swapping to disc brakes I add up what it cost to do a normal brake job on the drum brakes and that part comes out of the family budget.

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Well first off my wife surprized me with my bronco. I am honest with her. As to my welders and Plasma cutter, I payed for them with my GI money and my Christmas bonus. Also I do side jobs to pay for things. Right now I work full time and go to school five days a week, so I am not able to do many side jobs. All and all she is very understanding about my hobbies. Some times I go over the limit and she lets me know it.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
$10,000 06' Suzuki GSXR 1000
Farmington, UT 84025
006 Suzuki 1000. This bike is perfect! It has 1000 miles and has had
its 500 mile dealer service. (Expensive) It's been adult ridden, all
wheels have always been on the ground. I use it as a cruiser/commuter.
I'm selling it because it was purchased without proper consent of a
loving wife. Apparently "do whatever the f*** you want" doesn't mean
what I thought. Call me, Steve. (801) XXX-XXXX

Orange Crush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Maryland
$10,000 06' Suzuki GSXR 1000
Farmington, UT 84025
006 Suzuki 1000. This bike is perfect! It has 1000 miles and has had
its 500 mile dealer service. (Expensive) It's been adult ridden, all
wheels have always been on the ground. I use it as a cruiser/commuter.
I'm selling it because it was purchased without proper consent of a
loving wife. Apparently "do whatever the f*** you want" doesn't mean
what I thought. Call me, Steve. (801) XXX-XXXX

Lol! That's good sh*t right there!

kntr

Bronco Guru
I just work 20hrs OT each week for the last 5 months and tell her its all mine. The OT ends next week!!!

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
My wife knew the Bronco was part of the deal when we got married. Also, I'm the one that does finances and makes it so she can stay at home and raise our kids. So, with-in reason, I get to decide how to spend the $$.

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
Easy, not have one. I'm only 22, I did the live in girl friend thing for a year and then decided I like freedom. I've got a fair amount of tools, an offroad toy, and next summer I'll have a house/ garage. I figure if a girl walks into my life the wheeling addiction/tools/toys are allready here and if she doesn't like them she can get out of my life.