• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission choice to improve driving experience for wife.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
My wife's about 5 ft, and I'm thinking np435 might not be an enjoyable driving experience for her.
She grew up in Bolivia and has experience with rovers, Land, cruisers, VW's and such, so it's not the manual aspect of it. Plus I just don't like automatics in a wheeler.
I was wondering if anybody had a preference in five speeds which are pleasant to drive? I'm kind of thinking about shopping for an NV3550, first gear is kind of low but all of them are usable on the street.
Any thoughts?

THX,
Jb

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
JB - Can you please explain the "enjoyable driving experience" piece? Maybe something that shifts less like a truck and more like a car?

Scott

Contributor
Is she doesn’t mind manuals and neither do you but you still want it to be a pleasant manual I’d throw an AX15 in it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
What 1969 said.

At 5' can she comfortably push the clutch in now? Bronco seats sit high and therefore you need to suck the seat clear up to the str wheel for shorter people to be able to push it in all the way. Just asking... might dbl check that if you haven't already.

Enjoyable is an interesting choice of words. I'm guessing you mean easy to shift for her, not shifting like a truck with typical LONG shifter throws and typical huge gear splits.

My enjoyable trans is a 6spd. Full manual with the push of a button and full auto with a push of a button. This from a guy that had 4 spd toploaders, ZF 5 speeds, 3 spds w/OD, etc, etc for over 30 yrs. I wheel hard and often want to grab my coffee cup or answer the CB and not have to drop the mic to reach the shifter all of a sudden.

Personal preference for sure.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Well, a new process only has three usable gears for street driving. It's less shifting but not necessarily a user friendly experience.
We'll see how she enjoys the new process when I get it on the road in a few weeks and if there's no problems, maybe I'll stick with it for a while.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I agree with the AX15 suggestion or your mention of the NV3550. Even an stock 3-speed with a Duff's floor shift conversion is more fun than an NP435! That said, if you wheel it much at all I'd stick with NP435.

nvrstuk

Contributor
M5OD is a great option also. Got a couple buddy's who have run them for decades. Decent splits and easy shifting.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was also thinking of the M5OD as a good choice. Bolts straight to the engine without adapters. Modern transmission.

nvrstuk

Contributor
...and the M5OD allows an NP205 to bolt right up I believe. Have to call my buddy but then no adapters and about as easy as you can get.

bmbm

NV3550 is pleasant to use so might be good for you if the OD/5th is compatible with your axle ratio and tire size.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The M5ODR2 shifts like butter IMO. With 4.11's and 33's I find it perfect for all street driving conditions. I can run 5th gear at 55-60MPH and not have to downshift on the hills. Part of that is the W under the hood and my cam selection. I don't trail ride or hard core offroad so can't speak to that. I look the part but it's just for show.

Installing one comes with it's own set of challenges and modifications but I guess that's with any trans swap.

I really like the stock 3 speed with floor shifter conversion. It shifted very nice and positive. Never gave me a bit of trouble. I just like having more than 3 gears,

Tim

Jc.av8r

We have the NV3550. So far it's been great, easy to use, and nice gearing for around town or highway. I wish it didn't require the body lift, but that's my only complaint.

distended

Contributor
There's this.

I was considering going in a different direction with my Bronco then what I'm doing. I have a 6R80 along with all the accoutrements needed just waiting for a miracle to happen and all of it to be assembled one day.

I thought of going 5 speed manual so started researching. It looks pretty good but then I made the mistake of requesting a quote instead of living in my dream world. I'm sure it's a great product and if I had the money to do it then maybe. The kit they have looks like it contains everything you would need to install it with the exception of drivelines so that's a plus but it's too pricey for me.

It maybe a result of all things these days but especially what is going on in our Bronco micro-universe but it was $7100. Now, I think they may realize that's a big pill to swallow so in the quote they state that they are happy to redo the quote and pare things down to help get the ball rolling for you. I thought that was a considerate and had the customer in mind.

For now, I'm kinda back on the 6R80 and will just copy what nvrstuck did to blaze the 6R80 trail.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Thanks for all the great replies! We'll see what comes up in the for sale section. I'm hoping that np435 is adequate and she doesn't mind driving it.
Have traditionally done some mild to moderate rock crawling, and have the scars to show for it. I don't want to give up my granny gear, it is by far the lowest of any transmission! I have a feeling if I change transmissions, I would be shopping for an atlas.

Thanks,
JB