• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you remove and replace your hard top?

PartnersInCrime

How do you remove and replace your hard top? I took mine off with help, and I think I may have thrown out my back putting it back on. Anybody have any secrets? I don't know if my back can do this again when the nice weather comes back...

PiC

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Best way is three people. Can be done with two as well.

Here's my process:

1) Unbolt.
2) Lift back end first, slide 4x4s between the rail and the top about half way back.
3) One person inside does the turtle walk to get the top off and moving, then sets it down half way off while the other holds it steady.
4) One person on either side grab from where you put the 4x4's in and lift and walk it off the rest of the way.

75 Ranger

I built a hoist last week using an electric hoist I bought from Harbor Freight for $89. I copied the Lange "Hoist-a-top" that are made for Heeps http://www.langeoriginals.com/. Material cost was only $45, $89 for hoist, and friend to weld up the "T". One person removal and one person drop back in. Easy.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
depends on where your storing it. If on the ground somwhere, then Heus33 has you covered. If against the ceiling of your garage then spend the money for a hoist. Or get 4 pull straps from Home Depot, hook one in each corner of the top and to the ceiling, and walk around pulling each one a few inches at a time. Simple 1 man operation, and really cheap.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I use zeeman1's 4 strap system. Works fine for me, but next time I think I'll just spend the money on a soft top. They're a lot quieter than the hard top that I have.

OP
OP
P

PartnersInCrime

Gentlemen,

My back thanks you! I think I will try and install the hoist system to remove it. But I think I will use a combination of the systems. A wooden rack to slip under the hard top and pull from will be great, then I have a rolling shop table that I can put it on and get it out of the way.

You guys rock!

Thanks again,

PiC

MattM

Loc.
Missoula, MT
I use 4 ratchet straps. With the old roll bar, I used 2x4s to support it. With my new family cage, I hook the straps to the door frames—no 2x4s.

dsc01511.jpg

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
first buy a case of beer and a bottle of tequila, then call a buddy and your brother, then let them drink, then tell them they are too weak to lift the top off your bronco. ect.ect.ect
you get the picture