• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What did you have to replace or remove upon buying your Bronco from the PO

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Well in all of 30 years there was only one other owner and he had put this huge 4X4 decal kit on it (on the hood and down the doors.seen alot of them back in the day) and I got rid of it within the first week I owned it.Ever thing else I did it to it!!;)

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
1.Put nuts on body mount bolt all missing , same with top bolt and nuts before loading it on the trailer.
2. Took off the muffler pipe Proto-Fab style pre-runner bumper, Sold it for $100 though!
3. Went thru the 20lbs of rusted bolts and parts in a bucket in the truck that had water in it for who knows how long. Found the top bolts, the rear tailgate to liftgate catch, the Lifthandle, the antenna base, reflector brackets etc.cleaned and beadblasted much of it and am re installing it.
4. Replaced the tranny lines that were all bent from doing a B-lift but not moving the radiator down or up replaced with SS braided.
5. Replaced bent radiator with a new Champion aluminum one.
6. Finished cutting out the driving light holes in the wrong year fenders and installed lights. Some that were missing.
7. Removed steering wheel and horn ring that was jammed in there, replaced with 79 tilt column and custom billet wheel. Sold the parts for $250 , YEH!
8. Replaced carb , stock intake with all the smog(74) that had never worked properly or had a rebuild. Installed a Street Demon and Polished Air Gap all new plumbing and engine wiring and electrical. Enuf said.
9. One of the worst, they extended the lower steering shaft for the 3" b-lift. They had spliced a drag link adjuster collar to span the cut shaft and squeezed it together, they didn't even weld it, this went un-noticed for a couple of blocks I drove the rig the day I took it off the trailer. That prompted me to do a complete rebuild and uncovered the rest . Replaced with a hybrid collapsible shaft and SS Flaming River U-Joints, no rag joints here.
10. Front drums rusted almost together, almost knocked it off the stands trying to beat the penetrant soaked drums off with a 5 lbs'er. The innards were all rusted thru, installed all new 79 disc conversion, kept the brackets and spindles, everything else was replaced new.
11. Rusted MC replaced with new Chromed and billet MC and power booster. all new SS braided lines and hardlines to the rear.
12. Rear ended up being a BB HD with 11" brakes and a trac lock. Was going to rebuild. WRONG, they fell apart when I took the drums off, nothing was hooked up. Reaped off and am converting to discs.
13. Rear springs made to be 9 leafs by cutting unknown leaf donors and installing without tapering ends or cutting the centering pin. They installed aluminum degreed shims and installed them backwards, below a big block that was backward too. The spring plate was installed sideways and the U-bolts forced in, they were 2" too long and left like that.
14. Saddle tank had a rag stuffed in it unconnected. May get rid of in the future.
15. Fuel lines zip tied to frame, gotta go, have all new SS hardline to replace.
16.Gauges don't all work, getting them sorted.
17. When they installed the B-lift they forgot to undo the filler hoses, put a little crinkle in the sheet metal that will need massaging down the road.
18. The PO installed what looks like a 66 square end bumper even chrome under black paint. There is also a hitch in the frame ends. To match the bumper to the new height to cover the 3" gap left by the B-lift the welded a bracket to the top of the frame end and bolted the Bumper on. When the tailgate is opened it hits the bumper, Priceless. I have to redesign the rear frame end area to accommodate a heavier duty tow hitch, and also allow for a new stock chrome bumper and a HD hitch under it.
19. All bushings are Fubared am replacing as I move from one end to the other.
20. No seals anywhere!
More to come...Mo in Clovis, CA

Last edited:

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Found a 30-06 live round in the driver side cold air vent rubber drain thingy. The rear main seal was in backwards which explained the Vadeze oil leak.