• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much does a C4 auto weigh?

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I am going to start pulling the C4 out of my wifes 73 today. I have never pulled an auto trans, only manual trans. Any tips? what does it weigh? I am going to do it by myself. Got to get this thing rebuilt it leaks like a stuck pig and takes ten minutes to go into gear when it is cold!!!!

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
if you are doing it yourself and don't have a tranny jack. i would highly suggest taking the t case off (and adaptor) first from the back of the trans.
the trans and converter are going to weigh in about 140#.

i've shipped them before and a bare trans minus bellhousing is roughly aroud 100#, so figure in a converter, bellhousing and i say close to my number.

might want to drain the converter while unbolting the flexplate. this way if it slips out whileyoua re dropping it you won't have multiple quarts of fluid finding thier way onto your garage floor. there should be a drain plug next to one of the studs.

hth

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Nick thanks for the info. i was planning on pulling the transfer case off first then the trans. I have done a NP-435 swap by myself. I figured the auto could not wiegh much more than that. If I pull the adaptor the trans fluid is going to come out of the trans Right or is th seal in the trans?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If I pull the adaptor the trans fluid is going to come out of the trans Right or is th seal in the trans?

The seal is at the tcase. Drain the trans before removing it. It has about 10 qts in there.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Why Why WhY did they not put a drain in the pan of the C4???? I dont care how many times I have done filters and fuild changes it just makes a giant mess!!!!! Also on both the C4s I have I have never been able to remove the dipstick tube! I put my big ass channel locks on it and it did not even budge. Oh well fluids are out of the trans and t case (all over shop floor). Disconnected the exhaust, drive shafts and starter. Next is the flexplate torque converter bolts and the cross member bolts. Hope to have the t case off by the end of the day.