• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to get Quiet-ish exhaust with 4-link

RT

Bronco Guru
So, just installed a 4-link and knew routing a muffler was going to be a trick.
What have you 4-link guys done to fit a quiet-ish least muffler? We do a lot of highway driving, and it's my daily.
I stuck a old resonator in there just to get by, sounds like open headers,,,, arrrggg.
I'm keeping my saddle tank in place so outside the frame is No Bueno
Pics would help if ya got 'em

Thanks guys

Yeller

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’m running One of these . It’s quietish, it doesn’t drone and my Y pipe is behind the transfer case. I’ve been contemplating a resonator in the tail pipe, to help quiet it down more but the current volume is very tolerable, on the highway it is barely noticeable over tires and wind. My motor is also 10.5:1 compression so it’s an engine known for being loud and I do not feel it is too loud. This is the 3rd muffler I installed looking for quieter, pretty happy.

OP
OP
RT

RT

Bronco Guru
Thanks Yeller.
I'm guessing you mounted it near the rear on edge so it goes between the links or is it near your Y pipe at the transfer case ?

Yeller

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It is mounted vertically near the rear axle. There’s not much room so the y pipe is almost against the muffler.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 51

79INA69

I'm in the same boat here, and currently about to start round 3 of the exhaust with a rear 4 link with triangulated uppers. I had a muffler sideways above the transfer case and side exit drivers side in front of the wheel. Way to loud. Added another muffler right at the side exit, made it quieter, but sounded worse. Biggest problem with this routing was drone and heat on the floor boards. My rear truss is too big to squeeze any pipe between the upper right link and the frame rail. I am going to try to raise the floor section and go over the frame rail. I only have a 1" BL and don't want to go any higher. The most extreme routing I have seen, was the person used the right side frame rail itself to route the exhaust around the coilover mount and come back out to right rear side exit. I don't know if they sleeved it with exhaust tubing, but I would if I was to do this. I did not hear this running though.

OP
OP
RT

RT

Bronco Guru
It is mounted vertically near the rear axle. There’s not much room so the y pipe is almost against the muffler.
Looks like a little more room than mine , I have the Duff kit. but looking at the measurement of the muffler it may work.
You're also a better driver than me, my last one has a lot more dents in it 😁

Yeller

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Mine is a little errr umm different LOL, it is wider but have helped a few accomplish something similar with the Duff kit. just have to be creative, patient and be willing to oval tubing to get around stuff. The vertically mounted muffler doesn't drone, I had a round one in it that sounded awesome but droned. This one sounds mehhh ok, but it doesn't drone, and the volume is acceptable. Don't worry it has plenty of dents, but I have done a decent job of not making it look like a raisin LOL

Trusses are a space killer. I know of several that are large enough they limit up travel and block exhaust from exiting. I try to keep people from using them, use a rear truss to prevent the tube from bending leave the top open for exhaust, bump stops etc. With a modern fabricated 9" housing with 3-1/2" or larger tubes, under 500hp and 5500# does not get a truss. under 700hp just gets a rear truss. 14 bolt gets the smallest truss I can build over the center (mine does not have one, nothing fit without hitting the floor, stock height) and some 3". 250 wall tube cut in half and welded to the top of the axle tube to strengthen the tube, only adds 1/2" to the height of the tube but adds almost double the modulus of the axle tube when it is all welded together.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I did what Steve was talking about for beefing up the 14bolt so it's trusted but not those gargantuan things the fabricator retailers try to sell ya.

Do you have a saddle tank?

Outside the frame is a great option.

I moved floors, body mounts you name it to get my exhaust quieter
Ton of work but worth it.

OP
OP
RT

RT

Bronco Guru
I did what Steve was talking about for beefing up the 14bolt so it's trusted but not those gargantuan things the fabricator retailers try to sell ya.

Do you have a saddle tank?

Outside the frame is a great option.

I moved floors, body mounts you name it to get my exhaust quieter
Ton of work but worth it.
Yup keeping the saddle tank. We road trip this thing, Its my daily driver and wheel it monthly on average, so everything is a compromise. I need to keep all the interior I can for spare parts and travelling gear. I just ordered up a thrush hush and some pipes, so in a couple weeks I'll have a different sound. Kinda getting used to the resonator, too bad I couldn't just turn it down 50% or so.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Well, the old Lincoln Continentals ran exhaust inside their frame rail. :)